IGNORED

The Next Game Boss

mattkain

For anyone that's interested, I competed on a reality show called THE NEXT GAME BOSS as part of IGN/YouTube's new START network. The show was an elimination competition where teams of indie developers faced off in a series of challenges with the ultimate goal being to design and implement a game in a short period of time. I competed with my brother as TEAM FIST PUNCHER and we did our best to represent retro gaming (since that's the only kind of games us old timers know). Overall, the show was a complete blast and all the people we worked with and competed against were amazing. Episode 1 debuted on Tuesday. Check it out (and feel free to laugh at me since, come on, I'm on a flipping internet reality show about video games):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUijn7tGIUQ&feature=sh_e_top&list=SL

• Like 2

I watched it as soon as it went live, congrats on being on the show!

Weird (and selfish) question: it seems like Daemon Hatfield does all the talking. Was he stealing the lightspot from Naomi Kyle or was she simply not saying much. I love Naomi but after seeing her fail at playing the Tron cabinet in IGN's cafeteria I learned she is no gamer girl.

moycon: I *think" there are going to be 6 episodes, but I'm not exactly sure. Each one is put up Tuesday at noon Pacific time.

ComputerSpaceFan: I think it was just the way they edited it. Both Daemon and Naomi seemed pretty enthusiastic about and involved with the show. We didn't get to talk to them too much (since we were contestants and they were judges... I guess they didn't want us to be tempted to slip a 20 into Daemon's pocket to try to sway his vote), but overall they both seemed like pretty cool down-to-earth people. And there was a Tron machine in the cafeteria?! They only had Tekken and NFL Blitz up and running when I was there. Dang!

Hey, congratulations on the kind words from the judges! Nah, you looked focused and motivated, not silly!

Thanks for watching! That challenge was absurdly intense. I wish the show would have captured more of the stress that each team went through during those nightmarish 3 hours. Going in, only 1 or 2 of the teams had any Unity experience. So for most of us, we were trying to learn Unity on the fly *and* prototype a game. Now add in the fact that we couldn't use the internet, couldn't use cell phones, couldn't use labtops, couldn't use any external content whatsoever, and had cameras and lights in our faces while a big clock counted down, and you have 3 hours of developers pulling out their hair. I have to admit, I was pretty bummed after the challenge that our core mechanic was just barely there and pretty rough around the edges. However, looking back, I'm happy that we were able to stay focused and learn just enough Unity in 3 hours to be able to actually present a working demo. In fact, hats off to all the teams. It's harder than it looks.

MK

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...