IGNORED

Developing USB adaptor for Colecovision & Intellivision controllers

dualcam

• 3 months later...

OK, so what do I need to do in MESS to make these work?

I tried to configure my Colecvion controller in MESS the same way I configure all my controls in MAME, MESS sees my controller but the joystick doesn't work.

It's obviosly not a hardware issue because MESS sees the up, down, left, right of the controller in its controller configuration setting area, but doesn't use the joystick when I start the game.

So I must be doing something wrong in MESS but don't know what.

I went to check this and ran into the same thing. Select Options from the windows menu bar (not the Tab menu), then Configuration. Set the Port Controller to either the standard or SA. If is set to one, change to the other.

Mine was set to SA. I changed to the standard controller, and then the joystick started working. Changed back to SA and still worked. If I select to NONE, then it doesn't work.

So, I think this setting is bugging - even if it shows a controller selected, it may act as if none is.

Tom.

Well I got it working. Forsome reason MESS doesn't seem to work right when the colecovion controller is selected. But when I say I'm using the Super Action controller it does work right, even though I'm just using the standard controller.

Whatever. This device works quite cool with MESS now. Tomorrow I'm going to try it with an Intellivion Emulator. Any recommendations on which one works best?

Edited by rxd

Oh, yeah... I had forgotten the input mapping is not all in GUI. There is some joystick setup under the Input Configuration tab, but it is mostly in a config file.

There is also Nostalgia -

http://intellivision.us/intvgames/nostalgia/nostalgia.php

The input mapping is in the GUI, though the emulator only supports 8 positions on the disc.

Tom

How do you figure out which controller is which in jzintv? I have multiple joysticks connected to my pc.

Also how do you debug a problem with the keyboard hackfile?

I tried using the keyboard hackfile that was linked to earlier in this thread and if I select it in the GUI the program immediately quits when run.

No error is given or anything.

God I f*cking hate command line based emulators with GUI front-ends. Yea they're great when its all debugged, but getting everything right

sucks ass...

With all the work that is put into these emulators how hard would it be to make a small configuration utility for them? Ridiculous...

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just want to revisit this thread:

I've been using my adapter now since it was released (9 months or so) and I have to say I am still impressed with the Vision-daptor as well as the 2600-daptor. I have yet to run into an issue with either of these.

I'm actually considering buying a 2nd for my NES-puter for emulation. Playing Intellivision on an Intellivision controller in our bedroom would rock. :)

Edited by ClassicGMR

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Am I right in thinking that the Vision-daptor does not support the Roller Controller but the Ultimate PC Interface for the Intellivision does?

What emulator supports the Roller Controller via the adapter?

Correct, you need the Ultimate. MESS was supporting the Roller Controller, but have to say I am way behind on MAME/MESS version, so not sure where it stands currently. The Roller Controller is seen by the computer as a HID mouse, so if a regular USB mouse/trakball works in an emulator, then an Ultimate+Roller Controller will also work. Note the Roller Controller still needs it's seperate power supply.

Tom

• 1 month later...

Firmware update for flashback controller users. When flashback is selected that will be remembered and set as the future default, so no need to hold a button each time. To go back to original controller, hold a side button or keypad 0 as the USB is connected, and default will be reset back to original.

Coleco and Intellivision are remembered and set separately.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

USB has a lot of input lag.

I've read that USB 3 can be tweaked to have much less than USB 2.

My 'daptors transmit at USB full speed (12Mbps) 1000 times/sec. Others are low speed (1.5Mbps) 125 times/sec.

Check out this thread where I set about actually measuring the input lag -

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/207281-stella-input-response-vs-real-measured/

The video display lag, particularly of a digital display, far exceeds any USB lag. If lag is a concern, use an old analog monitor.

Tom

2600-daptor.com

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what byuu, the author of the cycle-accurate SNES emulator BSNES said about lag and emulation:

> On top of that, all emulators have a lot more input lag than the native hardware itself.

Yes, they all do. In the best case (CRT + serial gamepad, running in DOS), you can push it down to 60ms or so. Worst case (LCD + compositor like Aero + USB gamepad), you will end up with 150ms or so of latency.

> Is there any SNES emulator that runs without input lag?

That's impossible. The lag comes from using a multitasking OS, LCD panels with upscaling/filtering/OSD chips built into them, USB controllers with 50-100ms polling rates, etc. The emulator also adds 16ms of lag to buffer an entire video frame, and 20ms for audio buffering to your sound card.

Byuu's statement suggests that USB is indeed a problem. I have heard people say increasing the polling rate helps. I don't even know of any serial gamepads.

The post you linked to is marred by the use of an LCD display. I did see at the end that you attempted to bypass display lag, though. A TCL LCD TV measured 147ms by CNET all by itself. My BenQ LCD panel was measured as having a much lower lag by tftcentral: Total Display Lag (SMTT 2) -- 8.3ms. Pixel Response Time Element -- 5.45ms. Estimated Signal Processing Lag -- 2.85ms

Edited by Justin222

I question his statement of "USB controllers with 50-100ms polling rates". Did he do any tests to quantify that? Just sounds like a blanket general assumption that "USB is slow".

The USB spec is full speed devices can operate down to 1ms poll rate and low speed speed 8ms. Mine are set for 1ms and I have verified with an oscilloscope that they are in fact doing that.

I agree that using a LCD display limited my testing, but got down to 5ms with an analog monitor. So that puts a cap on the USB lag at 5ms max.

Tom

Edited by dualcam

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought an Intellivision Flashback and I wish I could afford a Vision--dapter but I am saving my money for the "New Nintendo 3DS." I hope I can get the 100 needed to get 2 Vision-Dapters with the usb cables needed to run them along with the Colecovision Flashback so that I can play both Intellivision and Colecovision Emulators the way they were meant to be played.

Just bought an Intellivision Flashback and I wish I could afford a Vision--dapter but I am saving my money for the "New Nintendo 3DS." I hope I can get the 100 needed to get 2 Vision-Dapters with the usb cables needed to run them along with the Colecovision Flashback so that I can play both Intellivision and Colecovision Emulators the way they were meant to be played.

Does anybody know if there is any word yet on the possibility to buy the CV and INTV Flashback controllers separately? I've no real interest in the systems, but would love to get some new controllers and some of these 'daptors to run with emulators.