IGNORED

Any Retro Collectors in the upstate NY area?

VicViper

As far as Game-On if that is the old Game Galaxy that is/was owned by James Inman. He is a major loser. About a year and a half ago he scammed me out of about $50 worth of games/cash plus like $30 in wasted gas and time. I posted it on craigslist for awhile. Where he had some hack working for him who botched a ps2 modchip install for me and then after we agreed that I get another chip and he install for free, he refused. The hack then gave me back a ps2 that after forcing them to test inside the store found disc read errors. Once he knew he was caught he then grabbed a pile of parts from the back room and tossed it on the table and said that was my system.

So I ended up wasting two trips to Greece, 8 hours of my time waiting for a faulty install and then got robbed $50 cash and trade. I'd never buy anything from that loser ever. Apparantly he either moved from the hodge podge center or opened a new store somewhere else.

As far as opening a game store, I was really going to this year but the wife and I decided the house needed to come 1st. So maybe in a few more years.

Edited by icemanxp300

As far as Game-On if that is the old Game Galaxy that is/was owned by James Inman. He is a major loser. About a year and a half ago he scammed me out of about $50 worth of games/cash plus like $30 in wasted gas and time. I posted it on craigslist for awhile. Where he had some hack working for him who botched a ps2 modchip install for me and then after we agreed that I get another chip and he install for free, he refused. The hack then gave me back a ps2 that after forcing them to test inside the store found disc read errors. Once he knew he was caught he then grabbed a pile of parts from the back room and tossed it on the table and said that was my system.

So I ended up wasting two trips to Greece, 8 hours of my time waiting for a faulty install and then got robbed $50 cash and trade. I'd never buy anything from that loser ever. Apparantly he either moved from the hodge podge center or opened a new store somewhere else.

As far as opening a game store, I was really going to this year but the wife and I decided the house needed to come 1st. So maybe in a few more years.

Yeeeaaaah, as far as I can tell, the owner of the store is kind of lacking in the personality department. i've only ever bought used games from him. outside of that, I wouldn't trust him as far as I can throw him.

• 1 month later...

Went to Microgames on Rt. 31 in Clay (Syracuse suburb) last night. I've been there before but not in a long time. It has definitely gotten better since the last time I visited. Apparently they are now under new ownership, according to the guy behind the desk (real nice guy BTW). But anyway, along with the new stuff, they seem to be a lot more retro friendly then they used to be. I saw everything from a boxed Colecovision to a table fully of 2600 carts along with more than just a couple of Colecovision and 5200 loose carts. Then a bunch of NES, Genesis', Xbox', etc. In my very unscientific opintion the prices seemed to be all over the spectrum, from a lot lower than I would have expected to the high side of my expectations. But I definitely walked out with the clear intention of frequenting this place.

It's also a lot better organized then the last time I remember it.

Anyway, they recently had a LivingSocal promotion (think Groupon), $40 in used products for $20. Plus, my wife had $5 in LivingSocial dollars built up, so it cost me $15. Walked in last night and they were having a sale on GameCubes for $20. What!?!? So I got me a backup/travel GC unit which came with a brand new 3rd party controller, along with Wave Racer and S.M. Sunshine for $7 cash (yea, I know it actually cost me $23, but I'm not counting that! :) ). Great night.

I used to live in that general area, just a bit down the road from where they eventually built the Great Northern Mall.

I'm not sure when the last time you've been around there was (pre-Great Northern??), but it has built up A LOT over the years. One big wave when the mall was built, then again over the past 3 - 5 years or so. My wife and I were just commenting this morning, oddly enough, that it's really the nicest shopping strip in Syracuse now, easilly besting Erie Blvd, which I never thought I'd see the day that Rt. 31 could claim that. But Erie has just lingered, and now Shoppingtown is moving toward dead mall status. All the anchors are still there, suprisingly, but the smaller stores are all closing. The entire Sears wing of the mall is filled with nothing but dance, karate, and gymnastics studios. Seriously. The theatres are really nice at least.

• 1 month later...

Cool cool. Hey, have any of you Western New Yorkers ever thought about starting up some kind of retro video game gathering? I've always toyed with the idea...

I so would attend that. If needed I would host the website for the event for free.

That would be excellent, as I am technologically backwards. I don't even have a facebook.

Hot diggity! Well, let's get this ball a-rollin'!

Hey all you fellow Upstate New Yorkers! Just wasn't sure if the idea of a gathering ever gathered any kind of steam.

I got my start in central NY. Bought my first Atari 2600 at the Salvation Army across from the K-Mart in Ithaca NY. That must have been 13-14 years ago. I dunno if the ScienCenter still does the Einstein's Attic sale, but I got my first Commodore stuff there. Huge box with 2 C128s, 2 C64s, a 1702, and at least 2 1581s and 1571s with other drives and accessories, for what amounted to pocket money for a high school student. That was back in the 90s though, before it became collectable. I actually had to give up the Commodore stuff when I went off to college, but kept the 2600!

It's a wonderful part of the country, you guys enjoy it.

I missed this thread the first time around...

Heckle and Jeckle Collectables in Chili, lots of crazy stuff, but his prices are laughable on most things. every once in a while something slips through, but the guy who owns it is kind of a tool :roll:

I live about three minutes from this place. Saying that the owner is "kind of a tool" would be putting it mildly. For a good laugh, ask them why all of their Atari 2600 cartridges are priced so insanely high.

Cool cool. Hey, have any of you Western New Yorkers ever thought about starting up some kind of retro video game gathering? I've always toyed with the idea...

I so would attend that. If needed I would host the website for the event for free.

That would be excellent, as I am technologically backwards. I don't even have a facebook.

Hot diggity! Well, let's get this ball a-rollin'!

Hey all you fellow Upstate New Yorkers! Just wasn't sure if the idea of a gathering ever gathered any kind of steam.

Nope, not yet, but it is still a dream of mine. Upstate Retro Gamers, unite!

Heckle and Jeckle Collectables in Chili, lots of crazy stuff, but his prices are laughable on most things. every once in a while something slips through, but the guy who owns it is kind of a tool :roll:

I live about three minutes from this place. Saying that the owner is "kind of a tool" would be putting it mildly. For a good laugh, ask them why all of their Atari 2600 cartridges are priced so insanely high.

Yeah? what does he say?

Yeah? what does he say?

He'll mumble something about "fair market price" and how "people pay more than that on the auction sites." The last time I was in there, about a year ago, he was looking up prices on eBay with a tall stack of PS2 games next to him....

The place could use a good dusting too.

Yeah? what does he say?

He'll mumble something about "fair market price" and how "people pay more than that on the auction sites." The last time I was in there, about a year ago, he was looking up prices on eBay with a tall stack of PS2 games next to him....

The place could use a good dusting too.

That's why I like my local game store, Dragon's Den, they have stacks of 2600 games for 50 cents each and even more in the back, most of their prices are extremely fair, and cool to talk to as well.

I know alot of the people who work in the local stores, but they aren't exactly people persons :-D . most of them have grown bitter from years of children asking stupid questions, and people wondering why there copy of madden 99 isn't worth what they paid for it :roll: .

If any of you know any of the local video game store owners maybe we can talk him/her into holding an event where we bring things to trade or sell?? I would make the 90 minute drive for that..

If you haven't already, you should make a swing through all the game crazes in monroe county. worth the 90 minute drive right there.

I know alot of the people who work in the local stores, but they aren't exactly people persons :-D . most of them have grown bitter from years of children asking stupid questions, and people wondering why there copy of madden 99 isn't worth what they paid for it :roll: .

A couple of the guys I know at the Victor Game Craze are who I'd call good people persons. I've mentioned the idea to them and they seem to be game :grin:

• 1 month later...

Looks like a road trip might be in order VicViper. And while there I might hit up Museum of Play. Was there once and the video game display they have is really good.

AGGGHHH I'm busy this weekend! Post some things in the marketplace maybe? ;)