IGNORED

ColecoVision Arcade Controller (FINAL Prototype!)

retroillucid

The one thing that I see missing, from the pictures that you have provided, is the name CollectorVision displayed proudly somewhere on the top face of the unit. Unless this was your plan all along and you have it displayed on the back or bottom of the unit.

Gotta give yourself some "LOVE" man!

Nah, .... I don't feel like screwing the ''official Expansion Module look'' by putting the CollectorVision logo

The only CollectorVision ''thing'' that will be mentioned is on the label under the unit: Manufactured by CollectorVision

Oh. and on the PCB where it state: A CollectorVision Product

I love the homebrew scene and consider retroillucid and 5-11under personal friends..... However, I feel a responsibility to the community to state my opinion. I think the controller should be $200 and have a spinner.

$50 Acrylic enclosure and sticker

$50 Arcade parts and keypad, and an old non-working SAC to use for cord and spinner.

$50 the custom controller PCB with connectors considering all the time and R&D/upfront costs 5-11under put into it

$50 profit for your time and assembly

More than this does not seem justifiable to me and seems like people are getting taken advantage of.

I will speak no more on this topic. As I stated at the beginning of the post this is only my opinion.

I love the homebrew scene and consider retroillucid and 5-11under personal friends..... However, I feel a responsibility to the community to state my opinion. I think the controller should be $200 and have a spinner.

$50 Acrylic enclosure and sticker

$50 Arcade parts and keypad, and an old non-working SAC to use for cord and spinner.

$50 the custom controller PCB with connectors considering all the time and R&D/upfront costs 5-11under put into it

$50 profit for your time and assembly

More than this does not seem justifiable to me and seems like people are getting taken advantage of.

I will speak no more on this topic. As I stated at the beginning of the post this is only my opinion.

How much are you charging for refurbished controller?

I wrote a big spiel on all the work and all the supplies required for this product, but that is irrelevant. The point is...

Nobody is forced to buy this, therefore nobody is being taken advantage of.

Well said!!!

That`s too bad, because the longer spiel had some great stuff in it. ;) Just from a "wow" perspective, think about 33 wires, 18" long each. That's about 50 feet of wire in one controller. Multiply that by the number of controllers being built, and you've got a lot of wire! Personally, during this assembly time, I prefer not to think about it too much. ;)

• Like 1

L00ks great! However, I can't afford $250 for a controller. Will this be a once and done production run or will you guys be producing these things on demand?

At $250 it'll include a pack-in game

If there's no pack-in game included, ,then price will drop to $200

Good to know.

But is this one-and-done, or something you plan to offer on a continuing basis/periodically?

I wrote a big spiel on all the work and all the supplies required for this product, but that is irrelevant. The point is...

Nobody is forced to buy this, therefore nobody is being taken advantage of.

Well said!!!

That`s too bad, because the longer spiel had some great stuff in it. ;) Just from a "wow" perspective, think about 33 wires, 18" long each. That's about 50 feet of wire in one controller. Multiply that by the number of controllers being built, and you've got a lot of wire! Personally, during this assembly time, I prefer not to think about it too much. ;)

I hear you, as for the acrilyc case, there is ALOT of time to build them + price for acrilyc is not that cheap when you also use ''unbreakable' acrilyc

Also, have to consider arcade parts + special made sticker (same as CV frontplate) not cheap again

Acrylic can broke easely when cutting it... so there's so acrylic ''lost'' in the process

You don't like our products? Foe me! That's it!

BTW: Real Arcade Spinner is no way cheap! check the prices!

Edited by retroillucid

L00ks great! However, I can't afford $250 for a controller. Will this be a once and done production run or will you guys be producing these things on demand?

Good to know.

But is this one-and-done, or something you plan to offer on a continuing basis/periodically?

Will build some then we'll stop at some point during 2012

Good to know.

Will build some then we'll stop at some point during 2012

All right. Thanks for clarifying that.

WELL SAID J-F !!

I don't know if Yurkie ever had to get something custom made in acrylic before but its really expensive!

Its not a machine who does it, its done piece by piece, all by hands. not counting the time it takes to do it.

The case is made of Black Acrylic .125 thick for a better look and its covered with a clear unbreakable polycarbonate.125 thick.

Don't forget this is just the case !

If you really want to put a price on it well...

$75 Acrylic + Polycarbonate enclosure.

$20 for high Quallity aluminim Sticker

$50 Arcade parts

$75 for the custom controller PCB & Keypad,(ALL NEW STUFF, NO RECYCLING) with connectors considering all the time and R&D/upfront costs 5-11under put into it

$60 for a NEW Pinball Homebrew Games

AND... If you really want to had profit for your time and assembly... I would astimated at $100 not $50

And on top of that... i had a chance to try the arcade controller myself and i only have one word to say about it "AMAZING"

It actually makes you want to play more !!!! No other controller will give you this feeling !

• Like 1

I'm not going to start a ''war'' and I don't want need to justify the price cost of the Arcade Controller

But all I can say is we're NOT doing this for the money, we do it so we can all have an Arcade Quality Controller

You can continue to use stock controller but you'll end having to refurbish it sometime, even if your controller has already been refurbished you'll end up having to refurbish it again

The goal of the Arcade Controller is to provide something reliable, something close to the Arcade

Anybody can swap micro-switches, it's easy, they are connected by clamp, so no soldering is required

However, micro-switch are good for 2 000 000 cycles , wich is more than enough

I would have love to include a spinner, but arcade spinner are so much expansive, and you also have to consider that the PCB would have to support it, again more expansive

That was out of question to use Spinner from the Super Action Controllers, they are poorly made and not reliable

And I'll not even talk about a trackball .....

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 1

How much are you charging for refurbished controller?

He's charging $179.....but for two, along with a completely refurbished Colecovision with A/V mod, skip-intro BIOS, and 2 rebuilt controllers with ball mod and straightened cords. It's not exactly "free" but it's quite a bit of fun for the money.

I don't think he meant anything; I think he's just saying that $250 is quite a significant sum of money for an arcade stick. It certainly is, by any stretch of the imagination, and it shouldn't be offensive to say so. The stick looks absolutely PHENOMENAL and I find myself salivating over it. However, it shouldn't be offensive for someone to declare that it is expensive, for it certainly is. A good reply would be, "Yes, it is expensive, but it is a nice stick!"

Yurkie's $180 system and an Atarimax $130 SD card cartridge set me back over $310, for Colecovision gaming, and that'd not cheap, either. The stick looks INCREDIBLE, but lord, if there was a way to reduce cost, I might be inclined myself to take more interest. It should not be offensive to say it is very expensive. Mercedes Benz and Rolls Royce are expensive, and that's not offensive.

It should not be offensive to say it is very expensive. Mercedes Benz and Rolls Royce are expensive, and that's not offensive.

IPAD is something I would like to have, but too much expensive to me

Does I will list all components and say: Hey.that does not worth that much.... certainly not!

That's the point

Atarimax SD cart are expensive too, but truly deserve it

Edited by retroillucid

It should not be offensive to say it is very expensive. Mercedes Benz and Rolls Royce are expensive, and that's not offensive.

Does I will list all components and say: Hey.that does not worth that much.... certainly not!

That's the point

Well, at least there's always cheaper options. Make your own video mod, do any other CV mods/repairs yourself, make your own arcade stick (or find a friend who can do it - or a friend's kid), and buy a used USB cart (or just buy the cheapest games, which are sometimes the best anyway).

• Like 2

That's the point

Well, at least there's always cheaper options. Make your own video mod, do any other CV mods/repairs yourself, make your own arcade stick (or find a friend who can do it - or a friend's kid), and buy a used USB cart (or just buy the cheapest games, which are sometimes the best anyway).

Yep, I did modified a cv stock controller to make my very first Arcade Controller prototype. It cost me around $15 to do it

A way cheaper than the final Arcade Controller!

Sorry my post offended you J-F. I sincerely was trying to be helpful and give you something to think about.

Something I disliked about your post was you listed everything by saying it worth less than the actual cost

This was not smart from you as you did not knows how much stuff cost to us and how much time we spent doing this

You can post ideas, suggestions but you can't claim knowing the actual cost for everything we used for making the Arcade Controller without knowing about it

All said, that's ok

I would have like to release at $100 , that is simply impossible!