IGNORED

Basic rev. C from disk or file?

Marius

Unsure - from what I've heard there's a patcher out that copies Rev B to ROM and applies the C fixes but that's not useful to you.

To run an 8K language image you need a CASINI routine that switches the ROM out when the user hits Reset. By leaving the ROM switched in, that prevents the screen from overwriting the top 1K of the RAM copy of Basic.

I did something for the AsmEd image that leaves Basic in and allows switching between the 2. Mine had the Casini routine sitting around $9B00 though which is not real safe since any screen open for a graphics mode > 1K would wipe it.

Best idea would probably to have the Casini routine near the bottom of the stack. It should only take about 30-60 bytes of programming but needs to be kept safe because if wiped the machine will lockup on Reset.

Here's the code I use to allow swapping between the Basic ROM and AsmEd based in RAM:

9B81    LDA $D20F ;SKSTAT
9B84    AND #$08
9B86    STA $04 ;RAMLO
9B88    BNE $9B92
9B8A    LDA $9B80
9B8D    EOR #$02
9B8F    STA $9B80
9B92    LDA $9B80
9B95    AND #$02
9B97    STA $9B80
9B9A    LDA $D301 ;PORTB
9B9D    AND #$FD
9B9F    ORA $9B80
9BA2    STA $D301 ;PORTB
9BA5    LDA #$12
9BA7    STA $02D9 ;KRPDER
9BAA    LDA #$03
9BAC    STA $02DA ;KEYREP
9BAF    JSR $9BBD
9BB2    LDA #$03
9BB4    STA $09 ;BOOT
9BB6    LDA $04 ;RAMLO
9BB8    STA $08 ;WARMST
9BBA    JMP ($BFFA)
9BBD    JMP ($000C) ;DOSINI
9BC0    LDA #$9B
9BC2    STA $0345 ;B0-ICBAH
9BC5    LDA #$0C
9BC7    STA $034A ;B0-ICAX1
9BCA    STA $034B ;B0-ICAX2
9BCD    JSR $E456 ;CIOV
9BD0    RTS

Here's the executable - asm.xex

Edited by Rybags

Yes, there are bload versions of Basic-C floating around. If you have a PILL or such that is a really good alternative, since then the "cart" will survive a reset. Alternatively, you could put in a 27256 (or more) with multiple progs using a switch. Lots of alternatives.

-Larry

Maybe better idea to make your internal 'BASIC' ROM swappable from synassembler and BASIC, or use a cart...

cart would take the slot, but a switched ROM, would be best... and easy to do. if you used something like http://store.go4retro.com/2364-adapter/ this from Jim Brain, you could switch 8 different ROMs...

sloopy.

@sloopy

Usually I would agree with that, but I did not mention it... but my Basic Rom is 'replaced' by the Ultimate 1MB. I flashed Synassembler in the Basic slot. Unfortunately the Ultimate 1MB does not let me switch between Missile Command and "Basic" slot. (Why In the world did candle not built that feature in?!?!).

I use Synassembler 99% ... but sometimes I need basic. I don't want to boot Turbo Basic for that. Too much. So a binary of basic is a good alternative.

Yes a Cart would do too... but I know myself: when I need such a cart, I can't find it... and a file is always there where I need it: on my harddisk.

Thanks for all your help folks!

I'm on my work now, so I can not reply to anything (no time) but when I'm at home tonight... I will reply on more things!

but my Basic Rom is 'replaced' by the Ultimate 1MB. I flashed Synassembler in the Basic slot. Unfortunately the Ultimate 1MB does not let me switch between Missile Command and "Basic" slot. (Why In the world did candle not built that feature in?!?!).

I'm just thinking, when having an XL/XE and the Ultimate 1MB: If you flash the XEGS OS rom (rev 4) and set the P3 (XEGS) jumper, can you hold <SELECT> while turning on to boot Missile Command just as a regular XEGS? Then you could replace Missile Command with SynAssembler.

Robert