IGNORED

Adventure 2 ranks?

NickelPlate

Sorry if this got asked before, I searched and didn't find. But what are the ranks in Adventure 2? I managed to get Chalice Master tonight on difficulty lvl 3 and wondered how high up that is. Still enjoying this game even years after it's release. I would totally love to see and purchase an Adventure 3.

Thanks,

Dave

Edited by NickelPlate

I didn't notice this or else I'd have answered you immediately. Chalice Master is the highest rank, so congratulations! I'm not sure I remember the rules 100%, but I believe you can only be eaten once, and you should kill at least 3 dragons (you can kill more if the dragon auto-revives, or revives when you revive yourself), and you need to find at least 1 of the 3 possible dots. I think the rank below Chalice Master is Swashbuckler.

Most people probably get eaten too much and get Square Meal or Duck Food. I watched a video of a person playing the game , and they kept getting eaten, reviving, then running right back to the next screen where the dragon was, getting eaten again ... you'd think the person might have paused a moment before going back to that screen. Anyway, Square has health points which get restored a bit every time you change screens. So if you can be chased by a dragon and get bitten a lot before being eaten, if you keep on the run and don't get bitten too much. Find the sword or turn into the shield and turn the tables on the dragon.

I think the ranks will be easier to understand in AdvII XE because there are stats (# times eaten, # dragons killed, etc) on the Ranking Screen. There will be new ranks for the XE version.

I'm not sure I remember the rules 100%, but I believe you can only be eaten once, and you should kill at least 3 dragons (you can kill more if the dragon auto-revives, or revives when you revive yourself), and you need to find at least 1 of the 3 possible dots. I think the rank below Chalice Master is Swashbuckler.

Hmmm, I know I've beaten it on hard without being eaten, killed all the dragons and gotten 2 of the dots, (I've never been able to find the 3rd dot). I usually play on Intermediate Vast though and only played through on Hard a few times. I usually end up with Swashbuckler for the level I play.

Is there any chance you could post a comprehensive list of ranks with requirements?

Oh, and dare I ask for a pm with the dot locations? I'd like to finally get that last dot!

KevinMos3 - On the 5200 version, you can't find the 3rd dot on every game variation, but only on ones where you have a Vast Kingdom 3 castle maze. You can't find it on levels where the smaller ice castle interior maze exists. Some of the early Vast levels (Beginner, perhaps intermediate) still have the smaller Kingdom 3 Ice castle interior maze. I know Game #9 vast is one where you can find it. You'll need the bridge to find the hidden screen. If that isn't a good enough hint, PM me and I'll respond.

*** Also - I'm not sure of this but there very well could be a bug where if you carry the sword onto the dot screen, it won't display. This is because the sword's handle is a "Missile Sprite" just like the dots are "missile sprites" and there is a *chance* that the redraw-sword-handle routine might erase the dot if you carry the sword on that screen. I can't say I ever encountered this bug back in the day though, but it could happen based on what I've seen in the code recently.

I fixed this bug for the upcoming XE version because the dot locations are more varied in this version. Also the dot hiding locations may change across game variations (and are randomized for special levels) on the upcoming XE version , so there's more dot-hunting to be done. And the rankings will be all different with different rules. fyi.

I briefly looked at the 5200 version code again to refresh my memory. Ranks are based primarily on how many dragons you killed, how many times you were eaten,and if you found any secret dots.

Peasant - default ranking. As long as you have killed <2 dragons and haven't been eaten 3+ times, you'll get this ranking.

Castle Guard - if you killed 2 dragons

Swashbuckler - if you killed 3+ dragons

Chalice Master is top rank and thus has the toughest criteria - you were eaten by dragons 0 times; you pressed #5 (Revive) 1 time at most; you killed 3+ dragaons; You found 1+ dots.

Duck Food - if you are eaten 4 or more times this overrides other ranks.

Square Meal - if you quit the game while you are still eaten inside the dragon.

Block Head - if you quit the game by hitting reset (but are not eaten)