IGNORED

AV modding a pong unit...even possible?

swlovinist

Please forgive if this topic has come up before. I am looking to see who might be willing to help me. I am putting on a local videogame charity show within three months. I will be having videogames on projector screens and was wondering...can a pong unit be modded with av out cords?

Just curious if it can even be done.

Any info or links to info on this topic would be most appreciated.

I don't know the answer but you could go for something like :-

http://www.thinkgeek...s/science/8546/

Which might be cheaper.

Kind of looking for a more authentic experience. I think that if people get to play on an authentic machine, it would be better. I do appreciate the link to something that might be an alternative though.

Kind of looking for a more authentic experience.

At least its real hardware.

I think that if people get to play on an authentic machine, it would be better. I do appreciate the link to something that might be an alternative though.

There are quite a few models of Pong machines out there. Maybe specifying a model number might help.

I think that if people get to play on an authentic machine, it would be better. I do appreciate the link to something that might be an alternative though.

There are quite a few models of Pong machines out there. Maybe specifying a model number might help.

I have well over 60 different pong units, so any of the more common models or common clones would be fine. I would be able to provide the unit for the AV modding. Even a link to any schematics would be helpful.

Let me figure this one out for you. I have a certain pong to tinker with and hack up and modify. ;) Seriously, what you need is an RF demodulator, but they are $75 to $100. Or, you can run the RF through a VCR with an F connector to RCA adapter and then use the composite RCA jacks out (although you only really will need the video if the sound is coming from the Pong).

I just did the composite video mod on my Coleco Telstar, which previously had badly distorted video, and it now looks great!

In case the original site disappears, here's the schematic and pinouts...

post-23476-0-04916800-1329682515_thumb.gif post-23476-0-49315700-1329684215_thumb.gif

The mod should work fine on any pong unit based on a General Instruments chip. Anything else will have to be taken on a case-by-case basis.

For units using other GI chips, check out the pinouts in the GI reference documentation as well...

GI-Games-reference-circuits-1978.pdf

• Like 4

Please forgive if this topic has come up before. I am looking to see who might be willing to help me. I am putting on a local videogame charity show within three months. I will be having videogames on projector screens and was wondering...can a pong unit be modded with av out cords?

Just curious if it can even be done.

Any info or links to info on this topic would be most appreciated.

The simple AV mod for the 7800 can be used on pong units also IIRC so just have a look in the 7800 forum for that thread and you should be good to go.

I have well over 60 different pong units, so any of the more common models or common clones would be fine. I would be able to provide the unit for the AV modding. Even a link to any schematics would be helpful.

swlovinist,

check this link:

http://www.pong-story.com/peritel.htm

• 2 years later...

I plan to do that Pong AV mod also that was on that german site, but i wonder if you can just solder the wires directly to the Pong AY-3-8500 chip, rather than solder them into some other places on the circuit board? Cus seems easier to just solder to the pong chip cus you see directly where the wires should go, or am i wrong? And on "point 2" can you just solder 4 wires to those 4 legs, and then put them all togeteher? I got all the parts to do this and so, and I just wonder a bit how to do it correctly so i don't make any misstakes, so I hope someone can help! :) and also i have a completly diffrent console than that one on the site, but yeah it still uses that same AY-3-8500 chip, it looks like this: http://oi61.tinypic.com/2d1o57n.jpg

• 3 years later...

Hello everybody.

Well i recently began an av modification on a Atari Super Pong (1976).

And well, i got a nice image !!! Really Sharp, etc.. But it's not the good results.

Video :

https://youtu.be/FRIlWU4U0xE

Some Gameplay at

Well, i think normally the background is black and the objects (paddles, net, ball) are in color, but i got the opposite.

Any idea ?