IGNORED

old Atari's on modern tv's?

grant74

While I don't know how good a rule of thumb it is, I've found that LCDs with analog support still handle the old consoles well. With the digital switch a couple years ago IDK if those can still be bought new anymore. My set is an off brand from about 8 years ago w/analog support and it features excellent compatibility with all my old hardware.

My problem is actually NEW hardware since the menu gives no options for controlling overscan.

Thanks guys for your replies.

I'm interested in one of those composite to vga converter, I don't really mind their poor quality as it is only a temporary solution. But there's something I don't quite get, none of them has a the 13 pin port, only 6 pin. The atari monitor cable is 13 pin or am I missing something ?

• 1 year later...

Just to add to the list, I bought an LG M228WD LCT TV/monitor and all I could by connecting an STFM and STE from monitor out to the TV's SCART socket was a black screen with faint ghost-like image.

Annoying, as it looks like someone else in this thread had success with an LG M227WD. I was hoping the LG M228WD would work, but it doesn't seem to...unless anyone has got any suggestions?

Thanks guys for your replies.

I'm interested in one of those composite to vga converter, I don't really mind their poor quality as it is only a temporary solution. But there's something I don't quite get, none of them has a the 13 pin port, only 6 pin. The atari monitor cable is 13 pin or am I missing something ?

DIN13 was used for the Atari ST monitor port, most Atari 8-bits use DIN5. I think DIN6 was used for SECAM 800XL/130XE models from Atari France.

Just to add to the list, I bought an LG M228WD LCT TV/monitor and all I could by connecting an STFM and STE from monitor out to the TV's SCART socket was a black screen with faint ghost-like image.

Annoying, as it looks like someone else in this thread had success with an LG M227WD. I was hoping the LG M228WD would work, but it doesn't seem to...unless anyone has got any suggestions?

Almost sounds like the SCART input is in composite video mode. That would suggest RGB select isn't on... or that the SCART socket is wired up as composite in (I recall some dual-SCART devices had one SCART socket wired up this way).

I don't know about the M228WD (other than it looks a slightly older set, despite the model number: more dated styling and lower resolution than the 227) but the M227WD worked with everything I threw at it. Mine developed a fault in the backlight and I stripped the panel down to fix the arcing connection on one of the lamps. It's a keeper.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Almost sounds like the SCART input is in composite video mode. That would suggest RGB select isn't on... or that the SCART socket is wired up as composite in (I recall some dual-SCART devices had one SCART socket wired up this way).

I don't know about the M228WD (other than it looks a slightly older set, despite the model number: more dated styling and lower resolution than the 227) but the M227WD worked with everything I threw at it. Mine developed a fault in the backlight and I stripped the panel down to fix the arcing connection on one of the lamps. It's a keeper.

Yeah, I think you might be right.

I can't afford the cost in time and money of buying and selling LCD TV/monitors on eBay until I find one that works.

To help identify the RBG SCART ones, I had the following idea:

- if the monitor has 3x component in sockets then this indicates that the SCART could well be composite

- if the monitor has 1x video in socket then this may indicate the SCART is RGB

What do you think, do you reckon this theory might be true? I've attached a diagram using examples I found to illustrate.

post-39857-0-05031700-1408559565_thumb.png

Not sure about that (the M227WD has separate component and composite RCA jacks as well as two SCARTS, and when you buy one of those on eBay, you can then stop buying monitors), but surely the M228WD has two SCART inputs anyway? I'm pretty certain that at least one SCART is always wired up RGB.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, an update on this. I tried another scart cable and it worked! So ignore my past comment saying that LG monitor doesn't work with an ST. Thanks for your help folks.

Hey space invader, i'm currently attempting hook up my atari ste to an LG 27", its ok but flickers infrequently.

What cable is it that you had success with?

Thanks

Hi, I think it was this one that worked:

http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/atari-st-rgb-av-scart-cable-tv-lead.html

(They're available on eBay too, I think.)

I had a different problem though. I think the cable I was using was an old one designed just for monitors, not this RGB one. I didn't have the flickering screen, but a black one.

Yugh.

Just use a CRT. No lag, no artifacting, real blacks, correct 4:3....everything is better !

Pick up a B&O MX4000 or MX8000, they are CHEAP now and have a fantastic picture AND support RF, Composite, S-video and RGB and also work great on PAL AND NTSC......oh and they also have GREAT sound with some decent bass....try that on a crappy LCD....

• Like 1

I like LCD etc. but I bought Sony PVM 14.

I simply (and hear) all the Atari tried to bring me.

I'm sorry but I think that we are have not perfect engineering specifications to buy right monitor at all!

And any successfull result must contain protocols of course... (NTSC, PAL, S-Video, Composite)

I need S-Video. It's not perfect in Atari 8-bit but in theory it's the best available on Atari8.

And my choice is old CRT.

• 3 weeks later...