IGNORED

3D effects ...

sometimes99er

I want to take the #2 3D effect and animate it.

I did a bit of freehand animation over 4 frames. Like if I move this one down, then I move this two etc. Overall it seems like a nice flow. Essentially it boils down to this:

Initially the XB takes some time setting up strings with character patterns. The moving lines are represented by the data above.

3Dspaceinvader.gif

Each column above represented by a string. Using CALL CHAR one has to chop it up for every 4 characters. Maybe not very effective, but CPU Overdrive might give an idea about what Wilhelm's Compiler can do to it.

Though the lines may move as they should, they could as easily give the illusion of moving up (instead of the intended moving down). Redoing the data above would be tedious. Well, Wilhelm could speed things up - or so I thought. There's a compile error, and maybe it would be good practice to pinpoint and eliminate the problem(s), but then my mind wandered off into other setup and solution strategies. What I want to do is have variable acceleration, frame and distribution options.

Edited by sometimes99er

Okay, so Wilhelm doesn't like RPT$. Made a workaround (made a longer string and concatenated it a few times). Well, the compiled version takes quite some time preparing the graphics using all my string manipulation. I assume Wilhelm uses internal TI string handling, and it therefore suffers in the speed department. Here at my end, XB CPU Overdrive matches XB Wilhelm compiled version (at normal speed).

How does Buck Rogers do it? Buck Rogers has thicker 'bars' rather than thin lines. I am guessing that Buck Rogers leaves the background static and simply changes the colour attributes (CALL COLOR)?

I seem to remember we may have looked at Buck Rogers before, but my memory isn't what it used to be!

Crude 3D effects #1.1 (added sprite graphics)

th_surface0001.png

100 CALL CLEAR::CALL SCREEN(2)::CALL MAGNIFY(3)
110 FOR C=1 TO 8::C$=C$&RPT$("F",C*2)&RPT$("0",C*2)::NEXT C
120 CALL CHAR(40,SEG$(C$,1,64),44,SEG$(C$,65,64))
130 FOR C=40 TO 47::CALL HCHAR(C-23,1,C,32)::NEXT C
140 CALL CHAR(36,"0E0A6BF99087CF67371310180C060301E0A0AC3E12C2E64C5890103060C08")
150 CALL COLOR(2,7,1)::CALL SOUND(150,110+S*20,0)
160 CALL SPRITE(#S+1,36,5,120,60+S*40,16,0)
170 CALL COLOR(2,1,7)::CALL SOUND(150,110,30)
180 S=(S+1)AND 3::GOTO 150

icon_smile.gif

This is like the Buck Rogers demo, but I seem to remember that Buck Rogers was smoother. I'll have to see if I can get a version of BR for Classic99 - then I could spy on it in the debugger ;-)

This is like the Buck Rogers demo, but I seem to remember that Buck Rogers was smoother. I'll have to see if I can get a version of BR for Classic99 - then I could spy on it in the debugger

We talked about Buck in the Devastator thread. Put Buck in Classic99, Scroll Lock and press F9 to have a look behind the scenes. Should look something like this ...

buckrogers.gif

Edited by sometimes99er