IGNORED

Partnering up with somone on a homebrew project - tie-in game to my comic

CaptainAtari

Hello!

First off, my name is Ricky and I recently published my first manga/comic book. As a way to stand out at my next book signing/convention, I thought it would be a novel, fun idea to have a game for the 2600 that's loosely based on my book. I'm not looking to sell it, but just have it running at my booths at comic expos and convetions as a way to attract attention to my book. I suppose if this project turns out alright, we could sell it, but I'm mostly just interested in the attraction of it all.

The characters in my book, represent a lot of thirty-somethings who long for a simplier time...and there is a not of video game nostalgia references in it. Did I mention it's a Japanese sentai style story with giant killer cicada bugs?

If this is something you'd like to help me do, I'd be so very greatful. As a graphic designer, I have a little bit of programming experience with Java and Flash, and visual Batari basic looks like it could be managable, but spitting the duties with a more experienced programmer would be ideal.

My book is called MONSTER MANAGEMENT SECURITY BUREAU OF CINCINNATI, and my next big convention is in September.

Am I insane in asking, or is this something that someone would possibly be interested in doing?

Being a fan of Sentai and retro game development, I approve of this idea! :thumbsup:

I don't have much free time, so I can't actively participate in such a project, but I can surely provide technical advice (not anything bB though, I'm an ASM guy) and whatnot.

Good luck with the project!

Thanks TOKuMARU!

Would it be a super time consuming thing considering I'd just wanna do merely a clone of a generic space shooter with new sprites? Like I said, it's merely just a gimmick to draw attention to my booths.

As far as pay goes...you know...I'd be willing to give some kind of kickback from book sales.

Let me know

Edited by CaptainAtari

i can't find many references to your work. Could you post some clips that you would like turned into sprites for the game?

I think Neotokeo2001 had a good idea in posting in the Batari BASIC section. He offered signed physical copies of the game to developers. I doubt pro or semi-pro developers are gonna bite without pay.

I'll bite if theirs a cart signed by you plus a copy of the comic thrown in. What's the deadline? You gotta pad in some time for Albert (AtariAge) to produce the carts..

Edited by theloon

Hey guys! I'm still here...just got crazy busy at work.

Hey CAP! Cool to see that you're from Cincinnati...are you SURE you wouldn't want to partner up? The Cincinnati Comic Expo is three days this year, and I'd bet we could churn out something.

Dragonstomper - thanks for the encouraging suggestions! I'd be willing to throw some money your way to help!

You have until September so you have time to go with an original game or you can use a hack of an existing game. You mentioned that you wanted to have a shooter type game, Do you have a basic storyline and maybe some art to look at?

If you want to go with a hack then River Raid is the best shooter on the Atari 2600 (My opinion. Yes, I love Demon Attack also). It is an easy game to pick up and play and anyone can have fun with a few basic instructions displayed on a card. I have several hacks of River Raid but the closest to what you are saying would be Alien Menace. I have a Regular version with all of the normal River Raid options and also a Contest version which limits the player to only one life.

You can see a video and read more about the Contest version here:

http://neoclassicgam...atari-2600.html

Here are the current sprites used in Alien Menace:

post-3832-0-12540400-1330570327_thumb.gif

Screen shot:

post-3832-0-14015200-1330570576_thumb.gif

If you want to design your own sprites they are generally 8x8 and one color per horizontal line.