IGNORED

PS Vita owner's thread - Post experiences here!

goldenegg

With the launch of the PS Vita First Edition today, I'm surprised no one has started a thread yet.

I got mine this morning and am enjoying the system so far. The system is lighter than I expected given its size. The screen is nice, but still can't match the 'retina display' on the iPhone for sharpness or brightness. Controls are nice and responsive, which made my time playing Wipeout pretty enjoyable.

I'm not completely sold on the interface yet. It seems a little too cute for its own good, with some odd 'workflow' choices. I like the concept of online manuals, but wish they didn't come at the expense of real manuals with the games.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a bug which is stopping people from playing Super Stardust Delta. After downloading the game, it is unable to install. This issue is reported by many people, across multiple forums, so hopefully it will be addressed shortly.

I'll post more after I've spent more time with it, but I'd love to hear reactions from other owners too.

I pre-ordered the Limited Edition bundle against my better judgement. It'll be here in a week (I chose the cheapest shipping method), but I'm really not very antsy to get it. I might just leave it sealed as an "investment", although the extra systems sitting at Gamestop with little to no interest today (launch day) really are making me rethink my purchase.

If Army Corps of Hell didn't look so freaking cool I wouldn't have made this questionable decision! GAH

I want to hear more, anybody buy this thing? How's it treatin' ya?

I want to hear more, anybody buy this thing? How's it treatin' ya?

So far so good. I've only tried WipEout: 2048 because it seemed as though reviewers picked this one as the cream of the crop of what's out there right now. I would agree with that assessment as the game definitely looks like a PS3 game in a handheld and the visuals are quite awesome to behold. Digging the small thumbsticks and they feel nice, but not as nice as the 3DS's Circle Pad. Touch screen is nice, and the back one is nice too although I haven't done anything with it yet. I have Little Deviants but I've kinda set it aside as reviews haven't seemed too favorable for it so I thought I'd postpone it for a little bit. May check it out later tonight.

Web browser is serviceable and does do HTML5, but it's limited and a touch slow. Signing up for 3G service was a bit spotty because of some issue with filling in hidden fields and the keyboard (I use KeePass to autogenerate long, nonsense passwords with dashes and underscores and apparently it didn't like that too much or something). But this device isn't your go-to for Web browsing if you have other devices to use like a smartphone or an iPad, so that's probably ok. What you would use this for is a makeshift web browser if you don't have a smartphone and just need to look up something really quickly, or if you're in the middle of a game and, for instance, want to look up a hint or something and it's handier than whipping out your smartphone. For those uses, the web browser should be more than adequate.

The thing that strikes me most is size. The system itself is so huge, while all its media, and indeed the retail game boxes, are so tiny. It's a bit strange. The boxes I liken to the Atari Lynx game boxes as they were much smaller than the norm compared to Game Gear and Game Boy game boxes.

As for the OS, it's definitely one of the strangest OSes I've bumped into. It's not bad, per say, but it's a little confusing to get around at first. If you're used to a smartphone then you have somewhat of an idea of what to expect, but even then it's quite a bit different. After using it just a little bit, though, you do learn very quickly how to get around in it, and after that you're actually quite glad they did away with the overwhelming (at times) XrossMediaBar business the PSP and PS3 use.

That's my initial impression however. System seems solid, nice, and well built. Sony made a decent operating system that suits it well. Now it's time to supply the promised games. If they can do that without screwing up and making their customer base mad by doing stupid stuff (as that's always a possibility with Sony given its past), then they may have a winner on their hands in the long run.

I will add this however, that I do not think it will topple the 3DS. I just think the Vita will co-exist with the 3DS, and perhaps be a bit more successful than the PSP was against the DS. But I think the 3DS will keep its upper-hand, if ever so slightly.

Edited by rockman_x_2002

I ordered the 3G/Wi-Fi Launch Bundle with the free 8GB memory cart. Will get it on the 22th.

I already got Wipeout and Hot Shots Golf but will wait before picking up any more games because the rumor is that Target and TRU will have some deals soon.

Hopefully Amazon will match those :)

With the launch of the PS Vita First Edition today, I'm surprised no one has started a thread yet.

I thought the Vita wasn't launching until the 22nd...

I guess this is why when I was at gamestop yesterday I had noticed they -already- had used games for the Vita for 5 dollars less than new. :P

I will add this however, that I do not think it will topple the 3DS. I just think the Vita will co-exist with the 3DS, and perhaps be a bit more successful than the PSP was against the DS. But I think the 3DS will keep its upper-hand, if ever so slightly.

The Vita and 3DS serve two completely different portions of the market. Neither will dethrone the other. The only thing that'll do either system in is a lack of decent software, which doesn't seem to be in the cards for either platform. Lots of great gaming coming for both!

Does anyone see a drastic price cut in the Vita's immediate future like the 3ds'? I wouldn't mind picking one up not most likely not at $250.

There's no reason for a price drop, as there's nothing wrong with the price as it stands. The 3DS had to drop its price to stay afloat for two reasons.

1 - Sony announced the PS Vita for the same price, which is a much more powerful system.

2 - The game releases were delayed, so people were getting concerned and weren't buying the system. The lack of sales were starting to scare developers. Dropping the price encouraged a ton of sales and showed developers there truly was a ton of interest in the platform.

As long as the quality of the games stays high, Sony has a winner here. It's a solid system and I look forward to see what developers are able to do with it in the future.

EDIT:

I just wanted to add that it was a brilliant move having the Vita's screen resolution 4x that of the PSP. Since it's an integer multiplier, scaling of PSP games is absolutely flawless. Prinny never looked so good :)

The Vita and 3DS serve two completely different portions of the market. Neither will dethrone the other. The only thing that'll do either system in is a lack of decent software, which doesn't seem to be in the cards for either platform. Lots of great gaming coming for both!

I think you're right. They do reach into two very different markets, but if you drew it out on a Vinn diagram, there are a great many gamers who would find themselves squarely in the middle of both circles. And as for the great games coming to both, it's a double-edged sword. I'm glad to see them on the way, but my wallet is sure dreading it.

Does anyone see a drastic price cut in the Vita's immediate future like the 3ds'? I wouldn't mind picking one up not most likely not at $250.

There's no reason for a price drop, as there's nothing wrong with the price as it stands. The 3DS had to drop its price to stay afloat for two reasons.

1 - Sony announced the PS Vita for the same price, which is a much more powerful system.

2 - The game releases were delayed, so people were getting concerned and weren't buying the system. The lack of sales were starting to scare developers. Dropping the price encouraged a ton of sales and showed developers there truly was a ton of interest in the platform.

As long as the quality of the games stays high, Sony has a winner here. It's a solid system and I look forward to see what developers are able to do with it in the future.

EDIT:

I just wanted to add that it was a brilliant move having the Vita's screen resolution 4x that of the PSP. Since it's an integer multiplier, scaling of PSP games is absolutely flawless. Prinny never looked so good :)

Thanks. If I do shell out $250 the last thing I want is for a price drop to happen shortly after. There's bound to be a price drop in the future but it's easier buying a Vita now knowing any price drops aren't anywhere in the foreseeable future.

I think you're right. They do reach into two very different markets, but if you drew it out on a Vinn diagram, there are a great many gamers who would find themselves squarely in the middle of both circles. And as for the great games coming to both, it's a double-edged sword. I'm glad to see them on the way, but my wallet is sure dreading it.

I don't know about you, but I know very few gamers who have only a DS or a PSP. Most I know have both. Only the diehards tend to get in to the game this early, but I'm certain you'll start seeing this same trend after Christmas this year. It's never easy on the wallet, but consumers will always find ways to buy the items they want, especially gamers :)

Uhhhhhhh I am such a sucker for new systems :( I pre-ordered it from Target. Has anyone had any horror stories from pre-ordering anything from Target? Nothing was said about it being back ordered but I can see an email right now come the 22nd saying that my order couldn't be shipped because it's back ordered.

Now I have to decide on some games. Lots of over time in my future.......

Edited by GKC

Picked up mine yesturday from Gamestop. Now all I need is some good

games! Little Devients doesn't cut the mustard for me. How is Uncharted? Does anyone know if downloaded PSP games are in high def?

I haven't played any of the games yet but I've been looking to pick up Rayman Origins for awhile now. It looks to be one of the better gams for the system. I plan on just getting that and then I'll buy a couple of the cheap PSN games. That Super Star dust looks pretty good.

games! Little Devients doesn't cut the mustard for me. How is Uncharted? Does anyone know if downloaded PSP games are in high def?

I haven't played any of the games yet but I've been looking to pick up Rayman Origins for awhile now. It looks to be one of the better gams for the system. I plan on just getting that and then I'll buy a couple of the cheap PSN games. That Super Star dust looks pretty good.

Good call on Rayman! I picked up earlier today. Kinda reminds me of Donkey Kong Country on crack! :D I've never played a Rayman game before, but this one sure seems like it's got it all; great graphics, fun gameplay and simple, no nonsense controls. The touch screen is only used to zoom in, like on the iPhone's web browser. Resolution is PERFECT, the graphical prowess of this machine really cannot be overstated. The big Vita screen really helps too. Try playing this one with the ligjts off; it's totally immersive, like being at an Imax movie.

Good call on Rayman! I picked up earlier today. Kinda reminds me of Donkey Kong Country on crack! :D I've never played a Rayman game before, but this one sure seems like it's got it all; great graphics, fun gameplay and simple, no nonsense controls. The touch screen is only used to zoom in, like on the iPhone's web browser. Resolution is PERFECT, the graphical prowess of this machine really cannot be overstated. The big Vita screen really helps too. Try playing this one with the ligjts off; it's totally immersive, like being at an Imax movie.

That's cool you were able to find (and that you like it). I went to two walmarts, a target and a best buy and no one had it. So I ended up with Uncharted and I'll use a $20 gift card from Target and order it online. I've never played an Uncharted game so I'm looking forward to playing. I would have rather had Rayman but it just wasn't meant to be.

GKC let me know how Uncharted is please! My only reservation is that I really suck at anything that requires two analogues. Some of the touch screen features look cool, like tapping on enemies when you are climbing to toss them off cliff tops.

If anyone plays Ridge Racer or Mod Nation, please let me know! :)

GKC let me know how Uncharted is please! My only reservation is that I really suck at anything that requires two analogues. Some of the touch screen features look cool, like tapping on enemies when you are climbing to toss them off cliff tops.

If anyone plays Ridge Racer or Mod Nation, please let me know! :)

You can download a demo of Uncharted from the PS Store. It has two chapters from the game. I'm not a fan of the Uncharted series, so I can't personally recommend it. I know a lot of people who are enjoying it though.

Has anyone looked REALLY GOOD at their Wal-Mart or etc. for games?My Wal-Mart has TWO different displays with Vita games and/or accessories in locked cases,just a heads up as one could miss stuff. ;) I almost did myself! :) Some Uncle Wally stores seem to be playing games by having multiple cases,others like GS and etc.may be pulling it too. ;) Be vigilent gamers!!

Peace out.

Has anyone looked REALLY GOOD at their Wal-Mart or etc. for games?My Wal-Mart has TWO different displays with Vita games and/or accessories in locked cases,just a heads up as one could miss stuff. ;) I almost did myself! :) Some Uncle Wally stores seem to be playing games by having multiple cases,others like GS and etc.may be pulling it too. ;) Be vigilent gamers!!

Peace out.

I found two spots of vita games in one of the walmarts I visited. The other Walmart only had two games period but that's better than the target I visited which didn't even appear to have cleared space for the vita. Best buy had the biggest selection of games and assecories that I visited but still no Rayman :( I also noticed that Target doesn't have Rayman for sale on line either. I don't know what it is about this game but for whatever reason I am not meant to get it. When it first came out for the consoles I tried to find it for the 360 or the wii and didn't have any luck at several stores.