IGNORED

Brian Fargo wants to make Wasteland 2

HuckleCat

True story:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/16/brian-fargo-turning-to-kickstarter-for-wasteland-2/

http://kotaku.com/5885882/why-people-give-a-shit-about-a-1988-pc-role+playing-game

https://twitter.com/#!/BrianFargo

-- He wants the new game to be "oldschool" and feel like the original.

-- He wants the game to basically pick up where Wasteland left off.

-- Michael Stackpole, who worked on the original and the classic Bards Tale games has already agreed to be the lead designer.

Boner achieved.

• Like 1

I've got as fond a memory as anyone playing the original game but considering how Fargo's recent Bard's Tale re-make went I think its better to just let this one rest and allow Wasteland 2 to maintain its vaporware status.

What I'd love to see is if they use the release of a new game to also release some stuff out of the archives on the original game. Designer notes, concept artwork, that sort of thing. However it is interesting that they are using Kickstarter to raise funds, so I will remain cautiously optimistic.

Edited by tyranthraxus

I've got as fond a memory as anyone playing the original game but considering how Fargo's recent Bard's Tale re-make went I think its better to just let this one rest and allow Wasteland 2 to maintain its vaporware status.

Yeah, that wasn't good.

However, there is a reason for it being nothing like the original trilogy. When InXile initially got the rights for Bards Tale, all they managed to get was the right to use the name. All the property contained in the games - the lore, the names, places, etc, all remained the property of EA. (This may have changed, as InXile has recently began offering the original BT trilogy for iOS) Wasteland, on the other had, they got the rights to outright. This, combined with the fact that Fargo has recruited Stackpole as a designer, and has also stated that he wants it to be a "real, oldschool" sequel, keeps me optimistic that we won't get a repeat of what happened with the new Bards Tale game.

Does "old school" mean "turn based"? If so, count me in. If not, count me out.

Here's some excerpts from Brian Fargos twitter:

Taxonomic @Taxonomic

@BrianFargo as a fan of wasteland, and someone disappointed with the lack of turn based crpgs, I'd like to see a proper #wasteland2.

Brian Fargo @BrianFargo

@Taxonomic Here here... Nothing beats the tactics of a good ole turn based party game.

Good news, it does sound like it's likely to be turn based.

Good. I expected as much when I saw it was kickstarter funded. When Demon's Forge was coming out he said something like "turn based is not where the market is anymore". If he's freed from chasing the lowest common denominator, I expect he'll produce something quite good. Even he produces a mediocre game, a mediocre turn based RPG is worth a lot more attention than a mediocre FPS/RPG hybrid.

• 2 weeks later...

Even more news on this from Brian Fargos Twitter thingamabob-

"In other Wasteland 2 news we have brought back another designer from Wasteland.. Mr. Ken St. Andre..also creator of Tunnels and Trolls."

So that now makes all 4 of the designers from the original game making the new one. Awesome.

Also, there's an official Wasteland 2 forum, where you can go and scream about what you want -

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/

Ok, so,

"Wasteland 2 raised almost $600,000 in 24 hours. It has 33 days to hit $900,000, a goal that seems well within reach. Developers like Schafer, Minecraft creator Markus "Notch" Persson, and Fallout 2 designer Chris Avellone have all publicly supported the project, posting about it on their Twitter feeds and asking fans to help donate."

http://kotaku.com/wasteland/

Oh yeah.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well looks like this is going to happen in a big way: 2.3 million raised and counting!

Fargo seems to be saying all the right things and has gotten many of the key talent of the original game back. I've changed my mind on this idea and put my money down for this.

With this and the other crowd sourcing games happening (like the adventure game one) it will be interesting to see how the industry reacts to this.

I'm in (or will be in at least) on 3 of these: Double Fine Adventure (the 2 Player Productions documentary alone is worth the price of admission on that one!), Wasteland 2 and The Banner Saga. For all the things that are happening that we as gamers may not like, in very many ways it's a great time to be a gamer!