IGNORED

Hover Force 3-D Still Possible?

Yeah, based on the things that I've been looking at, from real-world objects to images, most anything with the right colors (mostly red and blue) seems to work. I think a better goal would be getting, say, 50 to 100 glasses together to pack in with a good new homebrew title (one that obviously favors the specific colors). The best part is that the 3D is always completely optional with this technique.

Well, I send a quote request for 100 glasses to American Paper Optics. If nothing else, I can sell them at low cost to folks who already have Hover Force / Hover Force 3-D, assuming they're noticeably cheaper than buying the Crayola glasses.

And, if we can get them at reasonable prices, that definitely opens a new avenue for homebrew creation. :-)

Wow, that would be cool. Can you quickly rewrite Super Space Patrol to incorporate 3D! :-D Speaking of which, it's killing me that I'm not going to be able to make it to CGE, what am I going to be missing?

Over on Facebook there is a group started just for CGE and Keith Robinson himself is in this group. (Yes i'm getting to a point soon lol) And i know he also is posting and replying there because he helped out someone with an Intellivision related question. But before i knew Keith was even there i posted my Hover Force 3-D vid. Nobody including Keith made a comment on it. But i know he's seen it (I just know). I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up with some 3-D glasses for the show now. lol

This conversation has made me want to go play Space Patrol right now, 3D glasses or not. :)

Always a worthwhile endeavor!

Actually, there's a different 3-D technology that would work for certain side-scrollers: It uses a shaded lens over one eye and a clear lens over the other. If you put a shaded lens over your left eye, then anything moving to the left will tend to "pop out" of the screen, and anything moving to the right will tend to "pop in." This wouldn't work for Space Patrol so much (unless you just looked at the mountains), but it might work for other game styles. Imagine a game like Parsec (from the TI-99/4A) during the asteroid-belt phase.

Indeed I noticed that years ago, I got those type of Polarized Glasses (one clear lens and one shaded) at various times over the years, once for a televised Rolling Stones concert that had a particular segment that did indeed display primitive(by today's standards) overlaying graphics over the video that spun and revolved around the singers and indeed it did create an interesting effect!

Actually.. they aren't polarized in any way. (There are a couple different polarized 3-D standards, but this isn't one of them.) If you have any sort of dark sunglasses that you can hold to your face so only one eye is behind the lens, the effect should work.

And for those of you with the prism-based 3-D, here's a quick and dirty demo I threw together. No game, but just something that plays with the depth a little.

3d.zip

Actually.. they aren't polarized in any way. (There are a couple different polarized 3-D standards, but this isn't one of them.) If you have any sort of dark sunglasses that you can hold to your face so only one eye is behind the lens, the effect should work.

heh you know I seriously considered not saying "Polarized" I know nothing of such things lol. So the other clear lens actually serves no purpose?

heh you know I seriously considered not saying "Polarized" I know nothing of such things lol. So the other clear lens actually serves no purpose?

Yep. No purpose other than aesthetics, and depending on the construction of the glasses, structural integrity.

• Like 1

I have a set of those same glasses. And on an old vhs tape i have the stones concert recorded. But i haven't watched it in over 20 years. I wonder if my tape is still good and works. lol

I too have it on VHS somewhere lol! I was always fascinated by all attempts of 3D especially those that were broadcast on TV.

Crap quality (not MINE) I still have the original somewhere and the 3D Glasses too lol!

ANYWAY I used those same glasses to watch a lot of TV and movies and of course play a lot of videogames back in the day!

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

Just an update: I ordered a bunch of 3-D glasses to bring with me to Vegas. :-) They'll be available for sale at the Left Turn Only / Elektronite booth.

Gaaah! What will be for sale alongside the glasses? :ponder: :grin:

Well for now I am just bringing the glasses for folks that might want them for Hover Force. I don't have a 3-D game for them yet. That said, if someone wants to develop one, it looks like getting glasses is not a barrierl

Just an update: I ordered a bunch of 3-D glasses to bring with me to Vegas. :-) They'll be available for sale at the Left Turn Only / Elektronite booth.

Gaaah! What will be for sale alongside the glasses? :ponder: :grin:

Well for now I am just bringing the glasses for folks that might want them for Hover Force. I don't have a 3-D game for them yet. That said, if someone wants to develop one, it looks like getting glasses is not a barrierl

Lol! :) I meant what other non-3D related items might you be bringing? Say, something with the words Space Patrol in the title?

Lol! :) I meant what other non-3D related items might you be bringing? Say, something with the words Space Patrol in the title?

Well, I'll tell you right now that SuperPro Space Patrol is on hold. I had too much going on at work along with all the stuff I had to get together for CGE.

I think I may be able to sell some additional copies of Space Patrol and maybe even 4-Tris at CGExpo. I'm not guaranteeing anything until I'm in Vegas with all the pieces in place, though. But, that's not the real news anyway!

I am most definitely unleashing Christmas Carol on the world at CGE2012. dZ-Jay and I have been working on getting this in the can. It's a full up production with great overlays, a great box, beautiful cartridges and labels and boards.... So, that's the real news from LTO for CGE: Carol Greenleaf takes the world by storm!

My other products (RF modulators, 3-D glasses, add'l copies of Space Patrol and 4-Tris) stand in the shadows of Christmas Carol's glorious debut.

• Like 3

Well, I'll tell you right now that SuperPro Space Patrol is on hold. I had too much going on at work along with all the stuff I had to get together for CGE.

I think I may be able to sell some additional copies of Space Patrol and maybe even 4-Tris at CGExpo. I'm not guaranteeing anything until I'm in Vegas with all the pieces in place, though. But, that's not the real news anyway!

I am most definitely unleashing Christmas Carol on the world at CGE2012. dZ-Jay and I have been working on getting this in the can. It's a full up production with great overlays, a great box, beautiful cartridges and labels and boards.... So, that's the real news from LTO for CGE: Carol Greenleaf takes the world by storm!

My other products (RF modulators, 3-D glasses, add'l copies of Space Patrol and 4-Tris) stand in the shadows of Christmas Carol's glorious debut.

Great news on Carol! :thumbsup: Congrats to dZ-Jay on getting this completed, I think this will be a big seller. :party: For those of us frustratingly not going to Vegas this year, what will be the sales plan? Will you be selling them through the LTO website or through AA or both?

Put me at the top of the list, right in front of Rev please. :-D I'm sure any copies of SP and 4-Tris you get a chance to make up will sell like hotcakes too. I'm definitely in for some RF modulators and glasses as well, thanks for making both of these available to the community. :thumbsup:

Great news on Carol! :thumbsup: Congrats to dZ-Jay on getting this completed, I think this will be a big seller. :party: For those of us frustratingly not going to Vegas this year, what will be the sales plan? Will you be selling them through the LTO website or through AA or both?

Put me at the top of the list, right in front of Rev please. :-D I'm sure any copies of SP and 4-Tris you get a chance to make up will sell like hotcakes too. I'm definitely in for some RF modulators and glasses as well, thanks for making both of these available to the community. :thumbsup:

Thanks! Christmas Carol vs. The Ghost Of Christmas Presents is finally done, and I can't wait to hear what you guys think of it. We will give more details on sales and distribution once we get the promotion page ready, and the rush for CGExpo levels out a bit.

And as an added bonus, I hear that the menu in Christmas Carol looks awesome in 3-D!!! (the game, not so much). How's that for a Christmas present? (in July) :)

-dZ.

• Like 3

Oh Boy o-boy o-boy

Does that mean we'll be able to pick up Carol and Space Patrol redux ? Nice early Christmas in July August :)

[really should have read further up before posting :(]

I may have some Space Patrol (not SuperPro Space Patrol) and 4-Tris carts at CGE... I won't guarantee anything until I'm shipping them to CGE though.

Is there anything in Space Patrol that won't also be in SuperPro Space Patrol? I know a collector would want to get both, but for those of us who can't be at CGE this year is there any reason to weep, wail, and gnash our teeth (as I'll be doing if 4-Tris is available and I can't get a copy :( )?

Anyone up for new 3-D games?

Anyone interested in developing a 3D game using this ChromaDepth method would be wise to read up the guide on their website.

http://www.chromatek...esign__pf_.html

In my own experimenting, I found the depth of a color is very contextual. That is, the color red does not simply appear to be at a certain depth, but the other colors around it effect and can enhance the illusion of depth.

For instance, one would think Buzz Bombers would have had excellent effect with the glasses, but I found it looked rather flat.

7688078494_976be80480.jpg

But, after editing the screenshot, adding a quick & dirty background borrowed from Horse Racing, the bees seem to pop much better.

7688076914_b374283a46.jpg

Those with the glasses can see what I mean.

The point is that for the 3D to work, there needs to be some reference points and additional background detail. Just making the screen green or blue did not improve Buzz Bombers as much as when I added the detailed background above.

So, if any homebrew developers do decided to make a 3d game, it's something that will need to be played and experimented with to get it to work effectively.

Oh Boy o-boy o-boy

Does that mean we'll be able to pick up Carol and Space Patrol redux ? Nice early Christmas in July August icon_smile.gif

I may have some Space Patrol (not SuperPro Space Patrol) and 4-Tris carts at CGE... I won't guarantee anything until I'm shipping them to CGE though.

Carts or full boxed copies?

Oh Boy o-boy o-boy

Does that mean we'll be able to pick up Carol and Space Patrol redux ? Nice early Christmas in July August icon_smile.gif

Carts or full boxed copies?

Suddenly you're booking a flight to Vegas?!?! :-D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I have a stack of 3-D glasses here that I can mail out for cheap. $2 for first class US Mail, or $5 for 3 pair.

Edit: Rather, I will have a stack here once my UPS packages arrive from Vegas, hopefully Friday or Monday.

Edited by intvnut