IGNORED

HSC & KO : Season #3 - Game #7 (KO Game #7) - Carnival

cparsley

We are digging the barrel this time around gang... Avoid the INTV 2s for the game of Carnival, one of the "worst" (personal feeling) games to grace the Intellivision.

Skill setting for this game will be level : 3

Scores will be accepted until Sunday February 26th, 2012 at 10:30am Eastern time.

Remaining Players in the King of the Mountain Competition (KO)

( BOLD = eliminated) Final Update

1. JacobZu7 - 36,860
  2. gezkc - 36,720
  3. cparsley - 26,790
  4. INTVGuy97 - 25,190
  5. Fallout_002 - 25,130
  6. ed1475 - 22,920
  7. RoadRunner - 11,490

HSC Players Ranking (This Game)

1. Skosh 36,690 (3rd)
  2. Goldenband 31,880 (4th)
  3. Jblenkle 4,660 (10th)

HSC Ranking after six (6) games

1. gezkc - 47
  2. JacobZu7 - 38
  3. cparsley - 35
  4. Akito001 - 33
  5. Fallout_002 - 31
  6. ed1475 - 21
  7. goldenband - 17
  8. INTVDude - 13
  9. Roadrunner - 7
  10. INTVGuy97 - 7
  11. patbb - 5
  12. HatNJ - 3
  13. crade - 2
  14. RetroGam3 - 2
  15. jblenkle - 2

Edited by cparsley

Haha! I got a chuckle out of seeing that this was the next selection. But, every dog has its day, and I'm glad it does.

Here's a counterpoint from the Video Game Critic, who...has some strong opinions about the game. :D

A good setting to play this would be Game 2.

3 might be alright...

Game 4 is too difficult to advance more then a couple rounds.

Maybe that's a case for Game 4, since many people will want to play this game as little as possible? :D

Given the option, I personally would rather play a shorter session at high difficulty than a longer session where I feel like I'm repeating myself for the first few rounds. I haven't played Carnival much, though, so maybe Game 3 is the happy medium.

But yeah, I think we need a uniform difficulty level before we proceed.

Haha! I got a chuckle out of seeing that this was the next selection. But, every dog has its day, and I'm glad it does.

Here's a counterpoint from the Video Game Critic, who...has some strong opinions about the game. :D

That 2nd Carnival review makes me wanna write my own!

The review by the VGC, is not a well thought out one... reasons are,

1. The music drove him nuts, but music can be muted by shooting one blast into the "blue note" in the middle right corner...

2. The bonus bear stage IS included here. Plays fine and is a fun side game.

3. Carnival may be slow and glitchy, and not the best port... but its some fun, a nice challenge once you get rolling

(and mute the damn music!)

In my opinion it plays like a so-so INTV Coleco rushed out arcade attempt, nothing more or less.

Carnival Tips:

1. Start shooting the flags above first out (takes a few tricky left/right pad moves to line it up), but getting this outta the way earlier saves bullets for the targets that increase later on, or near the end of a round.

2. Collect/shoot all the NUMBER targets that scroll by, they add to your much needed gun supply!

Gun supply when turns purple means the number of shots, if it's yellow it means there's a reserve waiting to be used.

3. The letter E is actually supposed to be a B! This is a bad error... but E when is shot does the work of first letter of the bonus.

4. BONUS... this feature is achieved by shooting the letters in order like this "EONUS" yes E damnit!

Spelling it out of order, STOPS any bonus earning, until another round chance. You can increase the bonus by shooting

everything down but the letters! Then hit the B/E - O - N - U - S in THAT exact spelling for the bonus. Any mixing of letters

and like I said, it's not happening!

5. DO NOT KEEP SHOOTING AFTER A LEVEL IS COMPLETE, IT CAN FREEZE THE GAME!

I figured this all out with no manual or history playing Carnival (besides a few mins on 2600)... did I leave anything out?

You could imagine my confusion, and what my games looked like just a week ago, when I first played this :D

• Like 2

Good advice above! I hadn't read your post before I sat down for my first session just now, but everything you said matches with my experience.

I'd also add to be very careful when you know you're on your last shot -- a single keystroke will clear the "GAME OVER" screen. Also, watch out for the long pauses after bonus levels -- it looks like a crash, but I guess the game is just loading.

Heh, the B does look rather like an ornate E, but it's recognizable.

Personally I'd rank the game a bit better than the VGC says, but only a bit. It is playable, but I think the granularity of the controls makes it a bit worse than so-so (aiming at the pipes gets very tricky), and it's pretty slow overall.

It helps that the music can be muted, though -- I wish I'd known that before I started this past session! :D The manual does mention it, so fair cop. And the bear bonus game is kinda fun.

Anyway, here's my first effort, at 31,880 points on difficulty level 3. I made it to the fourth gallery.

post-6067-0-47583200-1329687164_thumb.jpg

Tips please???

See posts above for tips....

More Tips:

You CAN'T move and shoot at the same time, so move d-pad and shoot seperate.

Only the yellow ducks in the bottom row can steal your bullets, always take them out!

Get a good clearing of yellow, then work on the *STEEL PIPES* that spin around on that wheel above.

You cannot nudge under it, you need to do a swift but accurate slide below, to line up properly to shoot the pipes.

Your supply of bullets is very important, shoot the numbers to increase 'em

You know you're low on bullets when the last Yellow reserve goes away and only 4 purple

bullets are left, if you get down this much... wait as long as you can for a 10 /5 number or a + bonus of bullets.

NEVER shoot for a bonus ... if the - MINUS is there, it will work against your total bullets and score.

The bear bonus and letter bonus isn't that important, it might be good for a beginner to ignore it,

and work on targets instead.

Shoot shoot shoot... time your shots and practice... with enough plays you will get it down.

During "game over" let go of controls, don't push fire, or you will lose the screen.

If these tips don't help... I dunno what else to say.

• Like 1