IGNORED

Screen contrast issue

MrBlond750

I bought a cherry Lynx II from eBay in the box with several games. Cosmetically the thing is perfect. Mush have had very little play time. After I got it I used it almost every day. I must say this is my first Lynx, and I love it. I have been modifying DMG gameboys for some time so I am familiar with electronics. I noticed that when the batteries in the Lynx begin to die you the contrast changes and you have to adjust the contrast to compensate, eventually you cannot compensate any more and are force to change you viewing angle till either the screen goes blank of the angle is so extreme you can't see anymore. My problem is that after the last batterie change the contrast did not return to normal. I have the contrast wheel turned all the way to brightest setting and I can just barely see the image if I view at about 45 degrees. I'm thinking maybe the contrast wheel might need replaced. Any advice???

Clarify "the screen went blank" for me. :) Any sound?Is there any brightness control?Sounds like the brightness pot is dirty or the backlight is failing to me.

Also,are you using good strong batteries or a 9 Volt 1Amp adapter?Both are important for Lynxing. ;)

Edited by chris_lynx1989

Energizer are the only batteries I use. I have tried sever sets of new batteries always with the same result, I don't have an ac adapter for the lynx. It looks to me like the backlight is working fine, I can see the light nice and bright at the perimeter of the screen and when you look into the holes where the contrast wheel and the volume wheel are. The sound works fine. The buttons work fine. When it happens, it looks like you turned the contrast all the way to the left, or the dimist setting. I have been turning it on thought the day to monitor it and the contrast works fine untill 15 to 45 seconds after you turn it on. Then the contrast fades away till you have a all black screen. I wonder if it's a capacitor since it always works for a bit right after being powered on?

Thanks a lot your your help, by the way. I really appreachite it.

I keep trying it cause this started all of a sudden. Every time I turn it on its the same thing regardless if I start playing a game or just let it sit. If I let it fullly cool off completely (or have it off for more than an hour or so) it lasts the longest when turned back on (about 45 seconds, passably a min). During the initional startup the contrast wheel works as normal, as the time passes I need to adjust the contrast to the right or brighter setting to compensate for what is happening. Eventually I cannot adjust the contrast anymore and the contrast continues to change untill the image goes all black.

Thanks again for you assistance!

I have this busted Lynx. It doesn't work on batteries because the previous owner left batteries in it for years and they exploded inside it. So I bought a power pack for it, plugged it in and it actually turned on, the music started and I could hear that the game worked after pressing some buttons and hearing the sound effects, but there is no picture at all on the screen. The backlight works, but adjusting the contrast knob has no effect, the screen is blank. After opening it up, pulling it apart and putting it back together, making sure the screen ribbon was firmly in (it reminds me of my Amiga's keyboard ribbon), there was still no picture. Then the whole thing stopped working, possibly from the crappy power socket, hopefully not something else. I've not been able to get it working at all since then, so I'm not sure what the problem with the screen was but maybe it's similar to what has happened in yours.

So, I guess I'm sorry this doesn't help at all, but I share your pain, you're not alone.

Edited by Moya Jackie
  • Like 1

I have bad news for you,man.

You have something wrong within your video circuit that may be a bitch to fix! :( It could be any one of 6 different things on your Lynx board and/or your LCD panel. :(

Also,you may have one of the last 30,000 Lynx units that were NEW AND FAULTY that the Tramiels were sitting on at a warehouse in Hong Kong up until '97 or something before they got dumped on Video Game Liquidators or etc. :( No way to tell by Serial # or anything for sure.Many still on Ebay & etc like this.

• 2 years later...

Hey guys, still haven't even looked into this, I kept the lynx cause the thing is near perfect, not a scratch on it. But I have another and have been playing it regularly. I know I need to at least get into it but I don't know when I will.

Thanks Chris for the follow up and hunting down the info for me.

• 1 year later...

I think the contrast issue with those lynx dystems is because of dying capacitors or the fact that the bulb light doesn't spread the light evenly over the screen,also the screen looks somewhat dim with faded colors but i guess that's what's you can expect from early type lcd screens.

• 4 years later...
On 2/24/2012 at 2:15 AM, chris_lynx1989 said:

Also,you may have one of the last 30,000 Lynx units that were NEW AND FAULTY that the Tramiels were sitting on at a warehouse in Hong Kong up until '97 or something before they got dumped on Video Game Liquidators or etc. :( No way to tell by Serial # or anything for sure.Many still on Ebay & etc like this.

Is there a writeup or description of this somewhere? I bought a "for parts" lynx from a seller who seemed to have a lot of cosmetically excellent condition but non-working lynx 2s. If this story is real that a batch of lynxes were defective from the factory, maybe this guy got a box of them. 

3 hours ago, sirlynxalot said:

Is there a writeup or description of this somewhere? I bought a "for parts" lynx from a seller who seemed to have a lot of cosmetically excellent condition but non-working lynx 2s. If this story is real that a batch of lynxes were defective from the factory, maybe this guy got a box of them. 

sounds like a tall tale, the Lynx caps will go back because they are 30 years old.

• 1 year later...

Did anyone solve this?

i can at least confirm it’s not the LCD unit or backlight because I’ve replaced mine with a new BennVenn LCD and exactly the same fading as described above happens still on the brand new screen...

If it is capacitors (seems most likely a voltage leak) does anyone know which ones?

JT

You could also measure the PCB board connectivity with a multimeter. I have seen PCB's where large areas are conductive due to leaked battery acid in the past. If you just measure the resistance of the non-conductive area of the PCB (not the copper traces) there may be a giant leak that gets worse when the unit heats up. Just guessing...