IGNORED

1MB upgrade for original 520ST...

blakespot

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

How hard is it to get this done? Are there kits floating around? I like the form-factor of the early 520ST and want to take it to 1MB (as opposed to grabbing a 1040 or something).

Thanks.

bp

blakespot,

I can do this upgrade for you, and I can do it fast. However, you have to send your 520ST to Canada (not so far compared to Europe!)

Let me know if you are interested.

That case is nice, had never seen one before. Would I be correct to guess that it doesn't have space for a HD as well?

The inside had space for the 2 drives on one side. The other side is where the power supplies and cables for the drives sit. not much room left for anything else.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I thought rgb was rgb, it does not matter where you are in the world, rgb is the same.

RGB is RGB but you have two different refresh rates. 50Hz in PAL countries and 60Hz in NTSC countries. TV sets with SCART and RGB monitors usually display both without problems although the size of the screen may vary a little. I believe on my SC1224 the 60Hz picture is a little bigger than 50Hz but not much.

Robert

To try to get back to the point of this thread:

Does anybody have a scan of the original instructions for this mod?

There must have been a document floating around the Atari dealers in 1986.

I have these instructions now if anyone still wants them.

YES YES PLEASE POST!!!!!

WTF is going on, that this is some secret?

You can search the ENTIRE WEB and not find this.

I challenge you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'd like to try to work it out too- it doesn't look like it would be too difficult to reverse engineer, by looking at the photos and the pinouts of the RAM and MMU chips.

Here's another way to do it, using SIPPs or SIMMs. A lot of great information about that is given at the top of this thread, the info might help with working out the piggy back technique: http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13905

This is a non-working machine I just inherited, and the person who was attempting it gave up half way through, it would be quite cool to finish it off sometime... Either that or rip it out and put the original ram back (I just posted a wanted ad to see if I can find the chips and sockets).

y5ahyvuj.jpgbyjetase.jpg

Edited by galax

I have a PAL (UK) 520STm which my father upgraded to 1MB back in 1994/1995 (the STm is almost identical to the original 520ST, but it has an RF Modulator for television output). I don't remember which kit he used, but it was a commercial upgrade, not a hack. It must have been a Frontier / Marpet Xtra RAM, but not the SIMMs version (I had one of those too but never needed to use it). I can remember him complaining about the system being unstable, crashing more often than it did before the upgrade... he also installed a TOS switcher with 2.06 (software switched) which seemed to make it more stable, a few months before he abandoned TOS altogether and bought a Windoze system.

I think that makes it somewhat unique - a 1MB 520STm with TOS 1.0 and 2.06!

I haven't switched it on in about ten years, so I don't know if it's still in working order... it's possible some of the caps might have failed since then so it may need some help to get running again.

I have a 14MB RAM upgrade to install in my Falcon030 later today (thank you Lynxman!) so while I'm at it, I'll try and remember to photograph the inside of the STm, and share my findings.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So, I have gotten a Frontier Xtra-RAM 512K.

I installed it in my 520STM and I just got various yellow screens with it in place. I removed the socket inserts and saw that he socket contacts no longer work for simple PLCC DMA chip (could be pulled back into place maybe, it now occurs to me) -- so I bought another STM...

I tried the install this time and the system works fine with the Shifter and DMA chip inserts in place, and with the two ribbon cables attached to the Xtra-RAM board ... or with them not attached to the RAM board. However, SYSINFO shows no memory over the standard 512K on the ST. I had soldered in the ground wire to an edge tab and recently soldered in a second ground wire that the instructions suggested may be required. Still no recognizing the 512K on the board.

How likely is it that the RAM chips are dead? Any other ideas on this? It's upsetting that my ST is in pieces and I feel strange about zipping it back up with ribbon cables tied to nothing.

Some pics:

https://twitter.com/blakespot/status/533680289495908352

Any thoughts? Thanks.

bp

post-5919-0-91158800-1417445787_thumb.jpg

post-5919-0-48994500-1417445794_thumb.jpg

Pretty I used to have a frontier like that in my old STm. Mine was 2mb though to give 2.5mb total. Most people I knew back then had that amount of ram installed. There was some minimal soldering plus the ribbons to sockets, again much like the pic. I think I had a 286 add on in there too, can't remember which one though.