IGNORED

Swordquest Waterworld what is in the box?

atari181

I heard that it came CIB with a real live unicorn!!!

...just saying...at least that's my guess when I see it for sale on eBay for $425 loose! :rolling:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2709027516261?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=270902751626&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Truthfully tho...there is a comic book, contest entry form, instruction manual and poster (IIRC).

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-swordquest-waterworld_11882.html

The "poster" includes the entry form-- the back side of the "poster" has the contest rules, with the entry form at the bottom. I still have the "poster," but I tore off the entry form and mailed it in back before the contest was discontinued. ;)

Sorry, mine aren't for sale. But I think the comic was scanned and can be found online at the site that has the solutions to all three SwordQuest games. I imagine the help guide was also scanned and posted somewhere, but I don't see it on Atarimania-- although Atarimania does have a front-and back scan of the "poster."

I have often wondered about this "When all else fails" help guide which also was in my copy of Waterworld. I had never seen this before. Did such a help guide also exist for Earthworld and Fireworld? If so, can someone please scan them?

Here's a scan of my Waterworld help guide:

http://users.telenet.be/taalvandaal/stuff/wworld1.jpg

http://users.telenet.be/taalvandaal/stuff/wworld2.jpg

There were no such help guides in EarthWorld or FireWorld, at least not when they were first being sold-- just the hints in the instruction booklets.

The games actually got progressively easier. EarthWorld had 12 rooms and there was no pattern to the way the number clues were triggered (they required differing numbers of items in differing numbers of rooms). FireWorld had 10 rooms (so the total number of possible permutations of items in rooms is smaller) and there *was* a pattern to the way the clues were triggered (always one item in one room and four items in another room, usually but not always with the room numbers adding up to 11). WaterWorld had only 7 rooms (reducing the total number of possible permutations even further) and there were in-game hints that all but told you exactly which items to put in which rooms to trigger the number clues. So you could say that each game was more "dumbed down" than the previous one, which was probably in response to all the complaints from reviewers and gamers about how "impossibly difficult" the games were.

WaterWorld is so easy to solve using the in-game hints that there's really no need for the "When all else fails" help guide.

Edited by SeaGtGruff

• 7 years later...

Old thread but Google seems intent on using it for reference so...

I got five things in the box back when I bought WaterWorld: the contest rules/poster/entry form (one item-- "poster" on one side, rules and entry form on the other), a help guide ("When All Else Fails"), the instruction booklet, the comic book, and the game cartridge.

There's also the "Your Ticket to the Atari Stars" 1983 Game Catalog.

AtariMania shows a warranty card but I don't see that in any CIB I've seen, with or without the 1983 Softwade Catalog. AtariMania also shows prototype boxes and such under the other categories so it obviously doesn't reflect what was actually there.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, CZroe said:

Old thread but Google seems intent on using it for reference so...

There's also the "Your Ticket to the Atari Stars" 1983 Game Catalog.

AtariMania shows a warranty card but I don't see that in any CIB I've seen, with or without the 1983 Softwade Catalog. AtariMania also shows prototype boxes and such under the other categories so it obviously doesn't reflect what was actually there.

It's there, allright.

8)

It's there, allright.  atariage_icon_cool.gif 

The warranty card or the software catalog? I haven't seen the warranty card in any "complete" sale with the real box while the software catalog has shown up many times. If there ever was a warranty card I think it was likely with those white-box liquidations sales like Classic Game Room got, but he no longer had the box and can't confirm the warranty card. Even this guy who kept his original Atari Club invoice/receipt doesn't have it and he purports it to include "ALL of the pack-ins":

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/164883-interest-check-swordquest-waterworld-cib-with-all-the-pack-ins/

No mention of that software catalog tho' atariage_icon_wink.gif

The 1983 Game Catalog is essentially confirmed from being included in so many CIB/"complete" sales but the only reference I can find to a warranty card is that AtariMania page with no context and lots of other stuff that definitely doesn't belong (prototype boxes and such). Were people who kept the box and other materials really this diligent about sending those in or trashing them?

• 3 weeks later...