IGNORED

Games that play well with the 5200 controller

ham

On 9/13/2020 at 9:51 PM, ASalvaro said:

back in 1984 when i had the 5200 i actually loved the controllers..it wasn't until the internet that i found out i was supposed to hate them lol 

I really think it's much less "love" or "hate" and much more "did it work, or did it not work" :lol: i.e. buttons like Start or Fire, etc. becoming non-responsive, or the stick not able to register moves in a particular direction easily.  The fact is there were a ton of lemons.? 

Sure we know how to fix them now, but in 1982 as a 10 year old, not so much.

On 2/20/2012 at 5:05 PM, Ransom said:

All of them. :)

Well, OK, except for the ones that were written with really tight tolerances for the values read off the pots. There are a few third-party games that give me trouble with that.

One of those games would be Asteroids, I have frustration with both keeping it on center and avoid inadvertent thrust (up) and hyperspace/shields (down) activation, there needs to be more of a dead zone between all 4 directions, perhaps maybe @playsoft, @Ryan Witmer or @Wrathchild can come up with that much-needed fix for this otherwise great classic game, it would've been (as I mentioned in Episode 2 of the 5200 Edition of The Atari Report) a great pack-in game as opposed to Super Breakout, even though that was a good game also. BTW I have included the ROM here from 1982 so maybe one of those three can come up with that control fix. Asteroids could very well become my favorite game if they can come up with that fix.

Asteroids.bin

Asteroids VE Revision 2.bin

Asteroids Vector Edition.bin

Edited by BIGHMW
To add additional available ROMs

However, to follow up on Asteroids not being so hot with the controls, there is a better port of Asteroids that even blows Meteorites away, check out Asteroids Arcade, I have the ROM right here, I just might do a review on it after I film the one for Star Island, in which also has great control in which is much better, but yes do check them both out. It even looks just like the arcade version (hold down the fire button for repetitive fire) Check it for yourself!!! 

AsteroidsArcade.bin

Star Island.bin

Edited by BIGHMW