IGNORED

Sega CDX Power Supply

Desfeek

I have been looking for a Sega CDX for about a week now, and I put the word out to some friends who are also into classic gaming. A buddy of mine found one from a guy, who claimed he had bought it in the day, had owned no other Sega systems, and everything that was with it was original. However, my (very fair) asking price seemingly wasn't enough, and he wanted $25 more.

Here's the kicker, my buddy says that since its a deal between two of his unrelated friends, he'd do all the driving between us to complete the transaction. I felt ridiculous about this, and pleaded with him to just give me his buddy's email address so I could do the transaction personally - my buddy reassured me it wasn't an issue, and he'd be glad to help out.

Well, this morning he gets here with the unit. I go to set it up and unravel the (incredibly crucial) power supply, which I had been told numerous times (I asked numerous times) was original. It was not the same adapter. It was a much smaller MK-1479, which after some independent research is a Genesis 3 power supply, and NOT recommended for use with any other systems. I recognized this, and told my friend that it wasn't what I was looking for and that I was truly sorry, but I couldn't buy his unit.

My buddy began acting very strangely, and seemingly couldn't get out of my house fast enough. The bounty I was paying for the unit (maybe you saw my wanted post here, it was quite close to eBay prices) plus $25, is just too much for something that isn't what I'm looking for. As I sat inside, thinking about the CDX that could have been, my buddy calls from his car outside:

Price dropped to $10 more than my bounty. Verified with multiple sources that MK-1479 will work for a CDX.

The second statement is a complete falsity - there's a great discussion I found on the Neo Geo forums about the MK-1479 specifically causing issues with the CDX. After I declined a second time, my buddy hung up on me, and I went to browse eBay. Where I found a nice BIN CDX lot very close to my bounty price, newly posted and waiting for my money. The irony. I happily bought it, and took a nap.

When I woke up, I had an email waiting: apparently my buddy's buddy *found* the box and manual for the CDX and my buddy claims to have bought it, sold his spare CDX (he had one already, was just 'helping' me out) within 15 minutes on craigslist - for my asking price - and pretty much bragged to me about how he got a Sega CDX box and manual for $10.

Did I do the right thing, turning down an (undesirable) deal at the risk of offending a friend who went out of their way to do me a favor? Are his actions as unjust and personally motivated as I feel they are? Sorry for the Wall of Words, but this is classic gaming drama you don't get every day!

The way you describe the situation, he insisted on doing you a favor you didn't really want or need, and didn't deliver the minimum results you explicitly required. If you were honest with him and he benefited anyway, who cares? If you feel you still owe him something, do him a favor in return for his efforts. That could help mend any hard feelings.

-Miss Manners

The way you describe the situation, he insisted on doing you a favor you didn't really want or need, and didn't deliver the minimum results you explicitly required. If you were honest with him and he benefited anyway, who cares?

I like this. It makes me feel better.

I can hardly read my original post. Man, I was in a frenzy of anger over this haha