IGNORED

New TI-99/4A owner. Some questions I need answered.

rockman_x_2002

So this past weekend I became the new owner of a TI-99/4A and a small collection of games, among other items (see here).

Among the games that I got, I have found that a number of them work only with the joysticks, while some work with the keyboard alone or with the joysticks as an option. I was under the impression that most (all?) TI-99/4A games used the keyboard in case the user did not have the joysticks present.

That could be the nostalgia talking as to be quite honest I know very little about the TI-99/4A. I've always wanted one because I remember playing a few games on the machine in my first grade year of elementary school, and then later for about a week when my brother borrowed one from someone at college to check it out.

Also if there's any other information that other fellow TI-99/4A owners might like to impart (other game suggestions that I should be on the lookout for, suggested websites to peruse, and modern methods for transferring files to and from a PC for the TI-99/4A), it would be greatly appreciated as well. I'd like to learn whatever I can about this neat little machine.

All the official TI games work on both keyboard and joystick, IIRC (or at least keyboard), but I seem to remember that the Atarisoft games were often joystick only.

I recommend that you hit the TI-99/4A programming base here, there are a lot of people there and many don't venture out into the rest of the forum. It has become a pretty active community, it's not just programming.

All the official TI games work on both keyboard and joystick, IIRC (or at least keyboard), but I seem to remember that the Atarisoft games were often joystick only.

Ah ha. That would explain much since those are the very ones that don't work with anything but a joystick (also the Parker Bros. ones). Thanks. And I'll be sure to check out the sub-forum as well.

I would also suggest looking for one of these:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2007016125511?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=200701612551&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I bought one from this guy and haven't regretted it one bit. This is the model i got the 2 gb cf card. Needless to say i will never have to worry about running out of room for disks.

There are basically disk images out there with all the cartridges roms on them to play as well so you would only need an Extended Basic cartridge and Editor / Assembler cartridge. Although you might be able to use disk images for them as well but I didn't try and just bought those two cartridges.

Have fun with a great little machine.

A couple of games i would recommend if you get this device is the remake of Pitfall! and one called Never-Lander. Pitfall! speaks for itself and Never-Lander is a very very addicting game. Think a never ending version of Lunar Lander.

• Like 1

I would also suggest looking for one of these:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2007016125511?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=200701612551&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I bought one from this guy and haven't regretted it one bit. This is the model i got the 2 gb cf card. Needless to say i will never have to worry about running out of room for disks.

There are basically disk images out there with all the cartridges roms on them to play as well so you would only need an Extended Basic cartridge and Editor / Assembler cartridge. Although you might be able to use disk images for them as well but I didn't try and just bought those two cartridges.

Have fun with a great little machine.

A couple of games i would recommend if you get this device is the remake of Pitfall! and one called Never-Lander. Pitfall! speaks for itself and Never-Lander is a very very addicting game. Think a never ending version of Lunar Lander.

I've seen the Pitfall remake. Looks like a port of the Colecovision version, which would be quite nice. And yes, that device you posted about on eBay would be great to have as well. I have a uIEC for the C64 and use it to transfer disk images to disk for use on the actual machine, and I was looking for something similar for the TI99/4a as well. Looks like that thing might fit the bill nicely.