MC14411 24 pin bit rate generator

CD4049CN 16 pin Hex buffer converter

CD4053BCN 16 pin analog multiplexer/demuliplexor

MM74C151J 16 pin ???

CD4011BCN 14 pin quad two input

CD4066BCN 14 pin Quad bilateral switch

MM74C93N 14 pin Hex inverting buffer/Converter

LM324N 14 pin Quad op amp

Don't quote me on these chip descriptions, but the chip numbers are correct (10 total IC's)

David

MM74C151J 16 pin ???

151 is a an eight input multiplexer

I know you said not to do that but the question

marks hijacked my mind. In detail, logic chip

numbers like this can be found in old databooks.

Datasheet searches I don't usually even attempt

since I already have the answer and just need to

look it up.

If enough people are interested, maybe Jürgen and/or Lenore or somebody else could redesign the SALT hardware.

Bradley (BEST Electronics) sell them "NOS" (New Old Stock). New, unused SALT extermal test fixture for all SALT versions in an Atari 850 shell for 50 USD. IMHO this is a fair price and there´s no need to clone it until some units are in stock.

Bradley (BEST Electronics) sell them "NOS" (New Old Stock). New, unused SALT extermal test fixture for all SALT versions in an Atari 850 shell for 50 USD. IMHO this is a fair price and there´s no need to clone it until some units are in stock.

As I stated a few posts back; I bought one from Brad about a month ago and he charged me $80.00. He said he only had a couple left and when they were gone,

there were no more. Best prices have always gone up for item that are getting low. It's his way of making sure only the serious users want the part.

I wasn't looking to start making SS carts, I only wanted to know if Atari actually made a cover for one. I would like to see someone make boxes after Brad sells

his last two.

David

• Like 1

Hello David

From what I've seen, Atari used modified 850 cases for the Super Salt external test fixtures.

Sincerely

Mathy

I've attached a few pictures. The power supply comes from a 2600, the four test cable came from Best, and the modified power cable I made.

With the modified cable the box can check voltage from your 9 volt AC power supply. I don't think it is capable of testing DC voltages. And yes

Mathy, it is an unmodified 850 case with no labels on it anywhere (including the bottom).

David

post-47264-0-38662300-1542250971_thumb.jpg

post-47264-0-42272500-1542250979_thumb.jpg

post-47264-0-80596600-1542250985_thumb.jpg

post-47264-0-54233800-1542250993_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/1/2021 at 12:48 AM, 800_Rocks said:

Can SALT be run from disk or from SDrive Max?  

Yes, you can:

SALT205.rex

SupSALT.rex

XETESTR2.rex

The extension ("REX", o "ROMEX") can be changed to .XEX, as the files are fully compatible with DOS/SDX load-manager. You can safely and reliably launch from SIO-attached (SDrive, SDrive NUXX, SDrive Maxx) or even U1MB / Incognito loader. Even TAPE would work, provided you transfer them with the right utility.

I developed  this "romex" format out of necessity, a couple of years ago, as I always found handling the physical carts such a hassle, especially when working on my test-beds. The format is based on a [{delta-loader} + {delta-patch} + {payload}] concept, where the payload is, in itself, a pristine (unaltered) rom-image of the cart.

FYI, it will run on 800 OS/b, 800 OS/N, OS XL 02, OS XE 03/04, QMeg 4.04, and up to Altirra 3.31 loads. (NOTE: a minimum of 48KB base ram is required at all times!). That should cover 99% of what's out there.

Edited by Faicuai
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Faicuai said:

The extension ("REX", o "ROMEX") can be changed to .XEX, as the files are fully compatible with DOS/SDX load-manager. You can safely and reliably launch from SIO-attached (SDrive, SDrive NUXX, SDrive Maxx) or even U1MB / Incognito loader. Even TAPE would work, provided you transfer them with the right utility.

I developed  this "romex" format out of necessity, a couple of years ago, as I always found handling the physical carts such a hassle, especially when working on my test-beds. The format is based on a [{delta-loader} + {delta-patch} + {payload}] concept, where the payload is, in itself, a pristine (unaltered) rom-image of the cart.

FYI, it will run on 800 OS/b, 800 OS/N, OS XL 02, OS XE 03/04, QMeg 4.04, and up to Altirra 3.31 loads. (NOTE: a minimum of 48KB base ram is required at all times!). That should cover 99% of what's out there.

Hi Faicuai - great info and thanks for the images.  I have them booting fine from my SDrive Max on my 48K 800.

3 hours ago, 800_Rocks said:

Do you know where I can purchase the SIO Port Test Connector and/or the joystick test connector (for 400/800 and or XL XE too)?
Alternatively... the pin-out ont he SIO Port Test Connector so I can make my own.

image.thumb.png.3f807809bf450e06a8df3781e93438e4.png

Well, this one may be a bit more challenging.

I am not really sure about the unit described above. These are the only entries available on Best-Electronics (probably the only source for any relevant diagnostics HW):

1. 400 / 800 SALT External 4 Port Diagnostic Jumper / Shorting board required for the above 400 / 800 Joystick Port test.  TE15648 $45.00
  2. C.P.S. Super SALT Extended Hardware Universal Test PCB(400-XL-XE Computers) FA100332  Sold Out

Here's the page (GAWD, I hate that site !!!!): Addendum (best-electronics-ca.com)

I actually have/use #2, which I bought some months ago, before going extinct (I warned everyone to buy as soon as they could). It is meant to be used with SuperSalt cart, from the ones I attached above):

A800-SuperSalt-external.thumb.jpeg.7a1baa4fc35f66efffc0abf916633c16.jpeg

If I were you, I would contact Brad @ Best Electronics, and ask for Part# TE15648 and EVERYTHING else related to it he may have in stock. Probably your best shot.

Edited by Faicuai
  • Thanks 1

On 2/28/2021 at 11:48 PM, 800_Rocks said:

Can SALT be run from disk or from SDrive Max?  

How many types of SALT/ Super SALT did Atari put out?  I have two different ones:  400/800 Standalone System Test Rev. 2.05, dated 1982

And a:  400/800/XL Part number FD100335 Rev. A, dated 1983

David

• 2 years later...
On 11/5/2018 at 2:35 AM, Nezgar said:

It 'closely' matched "CPS SuperSALT (1983)(Atari)[h Irata].rom" from rdea6 in post 17: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/194736-super-salt-diagnostic-carts/?p=2475694which is modified only in the title screen to remove the part # text, and changed © 1983 ATARI, INC. to be (E) 1900 IRATA,INC., and "ALL RIGHTS RESERVED" replaced with spaces. Some joker hack I guess

This is the only 2.05 which seem to work on my 1200XL. So other than the title screen, everything else in original/untouched ?