IGNORED

issues wirh wireless controlers

Syntaxerror999

I have a set and its acting strange. If I only turn on one it wants to control both sides, but the signals to the other side are erratic. If I turn off the controller while playing the controller moves on its own. Turning both off while playing starmaster does something that makes the screen roll. And at random times while playing wizard of wor my Guy moves through the wall and collides with walls that are not there. Having both on seems to clear up these problems. Is it possible to damage electronics using a power adapter that is under the miliamps specifications?

Acting strange :? In this case it is normal operation ;)

I have a set called "Game Mate 2" and I guess you have the same, there are not many others around...

I tried to reproduce the situation and I got the same issues with starmaster.

My recommodation is, to turn on the transceiver and both Joysticks (preferably first the right, then the left) first and thereafter your VCS.

Everytime you differ from this order, you will experience strange behaviors...

Always turn on both Joystick, in spite of only one is needed.

If you are equipped with an ATARI 800 XL (or similar) you can observe the unintended changes of the joystick/firebutton values by this little Basic row:

10 ? STICK(0),STRIG(0),STICK(1),STRIG(1):GOTO 10

Ahh, it is so convenient to play right out of the sofa, instead of kneeing in front of the TV...(Damn, I'm getting older!)

Tigerduck

Mine are the Atari branded sticks, but hearing that you are getting the same results from a different brand is interesting. We'll see what the rest of the community has to say but it seems safe to say that this is a design flaw.

PS I got ahold of a proper power adapter.

Edited by Syntaxerror999

I have a set and its acting strange. If I only turn on one it wants to control both sides, but the signals to the other side are erratic. If I turn off the controller while playing the controller moves on its own. Turning both off while playing starmaster does something that makes the screen roll. And at random times while playing wizard of wor my Guy moves through the wall and collides with walls that are not there. Having both on seems to clear up these problems. Is it possible to damage electronics using a power adapter that is under the miliamps specifications?

Mine are the Atari branded sticks, but hearing that you are getting the same results from a different brand is interesting. We'll see what the rest of the community has to say but it seems safe to say that this is a design flaw.

PS I got ahold of a proper power adapter.

Yeah, I'm gonna vote for "design flaw!"

I just got hold of two controllers and a base, and they work flawlessly for SINGLE player games . . .

. . . but, in WIZARD OF WOR if I choose two players the controller controls BOTH characters, and the guys get stuck in the wall!

. . . in MARIO BROS if you choose two player, one joystick controls BOTH Mario and Luigi!

. . . DIG DUG fails to work at all (a single player exception)

. . . COMBAT again has the "one joystick controls both characters" issue!

So, I'm guessing this is a known issue? I tried to do some searches, but did not turn much up!

Any fixes so that two players can have some wireless fun at the same time in, for instance, MARIO BROS.?

-a2a

I saw a video where a Guy was fixing a game mate 2... no relation to our problem but in the video both the stick and the base had adjustable POTs... perhaps the frequency ranges for both sticks are too close together and moving them further apart could clear up our issues. If anyone does try this I'd be sure to record the current levels as well as making notches to recort the position.

Believe me, it's only a matter of the order you switch your equipment on!

It sounds strange, but it is...

I could reproduce all your mentioned errors by switching on and off the joysticks/transceiver by accident.

But if I stick to the "right order" there is no problem anymore.

-> switch on the transceiver

-> switch on right then left joystick (wait 5 seconds for "synchronisation")

-> switch on your VCS

This works in 99% of all cases.

Have you tried this? result?

Tigerduck

Edited by Tigerduck

Believe me, it's only a matter of the order you switch your equipment on!

It sounds strange, but it is...

I could reproduce all your mentioned errors by switching on and off the joysticks/transceiver by accident.

But if I stick to the "right order" there is no problem anymore.

-> switch on the transceiver

-> switch on right then left joystick (wait 5 seconds for "synchronisation")

-> switch on your VCS

This works in 99% of all cases.

Have you tried this? result?

Tigerduck

No luck, Tigerduck! ;) (sorry, couldn't resist!)

Thanks so much for the idea! I tried your method, following the instructions exactly, and - -

- MARIO BROS two-player, the left joystick controls BOTH players; the right joystick does nothing

- WIZARD OF WOR two-player, again the left joystick controls both players, the right does nothing

IF you would be so kind, do you have WIZARD OF WOR or MARIO BROS? COMBAT would do, too - - I see the same issue there, as well, with the left joystick controlling everything, and the right doing nothing.

Could you please confirm that you CAN or CAN'T play a two-player simultaneous game with the ATARI branded wireless remote controllers?

I am starting to think that we have a TECHNICAL issue here, and the LEFT controller transmitter is overpowering the RIGHT . . . ?

Nothing a little electronics tinkering won't fix, but FIRST I wanted to confirm that you CAN get those two player games to work as expected!

THANKS so much!

-a2a

Edited by atari2atari

Don't have Mario bro but combat works fine so long as both sticks are on. If one is off that tank spins in circles firing rapidly.

The Atari branded does not have a power switch on the receiver and is always on

Okay, those above, bolded/underlined bits of text help me a lot - - I think that what I am seeing is that my second, or "right side" controller a) doesn't work b) is overpowered by the signal from the "left side" controller (basically the same as "doesn't work!" :D ).

Syntax, just to confirm, it sounds like WIZARD OF WOR work just fine as long as BOTH controllers are on?

Thanks!!

-a2a

The Atari branded does not have a power switch on the receiver and is always on

The "Game Mate 2" is technically identical, there is now power switch, too. I ment plug in...

IF you would be so kind, do you have WIZARD OF WOR or MARIO BROS? COMBAT would do, too - - I see the same issue there, as well, with the left joystick controlling everything, and the right doing nothing.

I have a Harmony Cartridge, everything is possible :grin:

Could you please confirm that you CAN or CAN'T play a two-player simultaneous game with the ATARI branded wireless remote controllers?

As far as I know, only the brand differs. Game Mate 2 = ATARI wireless remote controllers. Yes, I can play everything like I'm using the CX 40 Joysticks.

I am starting to think that we have a TECHNICAL issue here, and the LEFT controller transmitter is overpowering the RIGHT . . . ?

Maybe that's an approach... or look at that:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/194513-wireless-joystcks/

Nothing a little electronics tinkering won't fix, but FIRST I wanted to confirm that you CAN get those two player games to work as expected!

Definitly Yes!

Good Luck

Edited by Tigerduck

Yes and no... I can be playing a 1 or 2 player game with both sticks on and at completely random times one side will wig out and do the walking through the wall thing

Does not happen all the time and this particular control spasm only happens with wizard. Ill start playing some other 2 player simotanious games and see if the random wig out occurs.

SO . . . just to check back in - -

- I disassembled the wireless base and the possibly non-working RIGHT joystick last night

- The battery connector on the RIGHT joystick looked slightly corroded, so I applied elbow grease, and cleaned it up

- I then left everything disassembled, fired up the base/RIGHT/LEFT sticks in the prescribed order (thanks, Tigerduck!)

. . . and everything worked as expected!

Two player mode in MARIO BROS was fine, no weird wall-hack issues in WIZARD OF WOR, and normal COMBAT play!

Now, will it all work when I re-assemble it? :D I am going to solder on a new 9-volt battery connector, and it would be great to mod it for some power-LEDs, too, so I know when things are truly ON, but for now, I think I have the issue sorted!

Looks like either the RIGHT stick was not powering on, OR it was loosing connection / never connecting to the base.

I think your issues (the "random wig out") Syntax sound like one of the controllers is periodically loosing connection to the base, either because it turns off, or because of something else . . .

Wireless interference from OUTSIDE sources (wireless routers, microwaves, wireless phones, etc.) have all been cited as issues with these controllers in the past. Apparently the channel used is a very trafficked one!

Thanks again for everyone's help and advice! I'll let you know what the final prognosis and fix ends up being for me!

-a2a

and it would be great to mod it for some power-LEDs, too, so I know when things are truly ON

That's a good idea! Next number on my project list.

It's easy to forget turning them off and batteries discharge without use...

I hope you can now enjoy your wireless controllers, I like them especially for playing quiz games sitting on the sofa with many other persons.

Tigerduck

Considering the nature of the problems are reproducable by just turning off the sticks its a possibility. I'll try to find some time and crack open mine.. I got a flux pen somewhere ideal for cleaning contacs. As for an LED mod, any advise on where to connect or resistor to use (if at all) to avoid blowing the LED?