IGNORED

Retro Gamer Issue 100 + Issue 1

Darran@Retro Gamer

Apologies for this post, but it's quite a big deal and your memebers should find it of interest :) As it features a piece on the videogame crash by Marty Goldberg and David Crane has written an article about the technical tricks he used while working on the Atari 2600.

Here's the content

Developer Autographs

Eastern Blocks: The Story Of Game Boy Tetris

Baer's Odyssey (interview with Ralph Baer)

The Making Of Grand Theft Auto

John Romero Discusses Dangerous Dave

Crash And Burn (The Videogame Crash)

The Music Man (An Interview with Rob Hubbard)

Inside The ZX Spectrum

David Braben discusses Elite

David Crane's Tricks Of The Trade (David discusses the many Atari 2600 techniques he created)

The Making Of Sonic The Hedgehog with Yuji Naka

A Moment With Mark Jones

100 Classic Gaming Moments

In The Chair with Andrew Braybrook

RG Rampage - A Commodore 64 Type In Game

Eugene Jarvis discusses Robotron: 2084

Issue 1 Contents

Sinclair Researched (the story of sinclair)

Return Of The Rings (the videogames based on Lord Of The Rings)

Hall Of The Miner King (Jet Set Willy Feature)

Top 100 Retro Games

Mastertronic A History

Street Fighting Clan (story of Street Fighter)

Licence To Kill (videogame nasties)

1983 Advertising Gallery

Emulation Nation (the best emulators)

If you don't want to miss this special issue you can buy it directly from www.imagineshop.co.uk

• Like 2

I just got back from a trip to B&N - issue 99 is out now - the one with "He's behind you!" 3D monster maze cover. (Metal Slug one is #98 - which I haven't read it all either yet!)

It won't be out until next month in the States, we're usually 1 to 2 months behind. I'm usually waiting all that time to see how my articles actually look, I never get to see the finished result until I buy it on the news stand like everyone else. ;)

For everyone that's having problems finding it, Barnes and Noble almost always carries it. Haven't seen too many any other bookstores that do.

Hope you guys enjoy the crash article, had a good time writing it and I really tried to dispel a lot of the common myths surrounding it. Although there's only so much you can cover in 6 pages. ;)

Hope you guys enjoy the crash article, had a good time writing it and I really tried to dispel a lot of the common myths surrounding it. Although there's only so much you can cover in 6 pages. ;)

Very cool, I am looking forward to it.

I wonder if RG will do a 5200 30th anniversary article. They covered 5200 pretty well recently so I doubt it unless there is something new to cover.

I wonder if RG will do a 5200 30th anniversary article. They covered 5200 pretty well recently so I doubt it unless there is something new to cover.

Probably not. That was my 5200 article, and I don't think there's enough of a demand to cover it again so soon. Especially since I tried to go pretty in depth (as much as you can in the limited space) behind it's development.

Probably not. That was my 5200 article, and I don't think there's enough of a demand to cover it again so soon. Especially since I tried to go pretty in depth (as much as you can in the limited space) behind it's development.

Yep. I enjoyed your article. It was refreshing for me to read so much about the 5200 and even its homebrews, a nice break from articles on Speccy, Sensible Soccer, or other common RG themes that I as an American gamer don't relate to. The article could have been more pages, in my opinion!

I'm not compaining mind you - I still enjoy reading about the UK stuff too.

Yep. I enjoyed your article. It was refreshing for me to read so much about the 5200 and even its homebrews,

I took flack from some of the readers for including after market games in the 5200 and 7800 articles. My thought is though, the title of the section is "Perfect 10". It's 10 games for the console that you need to play, not 10 games from a specific time frame. I always try to include a mixture of games from back then and current releases.

a nice break from articles on Speccy, Sensible Soccer, or other common RG themes that I as an American gamer don't relate to. The article could have been more pages, in my opinion!

Yah, it's always a chore trying to come in at the given character count.

I took flack from some of the readers for including after market games in the 5200 and 7800 articles. My thought is though, the title of the section is "Perfect 10". It's 10 games for the console that you need to play, not 10 games from a specific time frame. I always try to include a mixture of games from back then and current releases.

Fickle crowd. I actually got plenty of positive comments regarding putting homebrews into the Vic20 and Vectrex articles that I wrote.