IGNORED

the "Would you like to buy Elansar" Poll

Orion_

Would you like to buy Elansar, for which platform ?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to buy Elansar, for which platform ?

• Atari Jaguar (cartridge + 4 pages manual) ~50?
    • Atari Falcon 030 (CD + Crystal Box + Manual) ~15?
    • Playstation (CD + Crystal Box + Manual) ~15?
    • Nec PC Engine super-cdrom² (CD + Crystal Box + Manual) ~15?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I would like to know how many of you would like to buy this game.

The Jaguar version would come in a cartridge form + 4 pages manual (not sure if a box can be made) and would cost around 50€

The Atari Falcon 030, Playstation and Nec PC Engine Super-CDRom² versions would come in a printed CD-R version with crystal box, and 4 pages manual. and would cost around 15€

(not including postal fee from France to your country)

WARNING: The Playstation version need a boot CD (not included) or a console with a modchip that can boot backup cd-r ! (not included)

If you could tell me for which platform you would buy this game, that would help me, thank you :)

Edited by Orion_

We are in the Jaguar forums, so def. the Jaguar version for sure :) I have a PC Engine PAC for my laseractive so maybe that version too.

It would be very interesting to see the Jaguar cart version get a CD-ROM expansion that adds music and perhaps additional content if possible.

Edited by Willard
  • Like 2

I must admit I had hoped for a lower price for a Jaguar version because the Jagware flashcart was announced to cost less than 15 Euros (parts only) last I heard... so I expected something in the price range from 25 - 30 Euros for a game like Elansar with box. :(

That said, why don't you offer different versions? I would still be interested in the PlayStation-version for example, but I wouldn't want Jaguar players to miss out either... so maybe you can produce versions for all systems?

maybe you can produce versions for all systems?

I will :)

I'm just asking for which one you want to buy.

The jagware cart is not that cheap, it's about 30 euros cart only without shell for 50 carts, maybe Zerosquare will answer with more precision on this.

I must admit I had hoped for a lower price for a Jaguar version because the Jagware flashcart was announced to cost less than 15 Euros (parts only) last I heard... so I expected something in the price range from 25 - 30 Euros for a game like Elansar with box. :(

The 15€ quote was far the parts and the PCB only ; the actual manufacuring has to be paid for, too ! The price doesn't include the cart shell either.

Additionally, it was preliminary quote ; we've found out that the PCB are going to be more expensive than planned, since the edges have to be bevelled to avoid any damage on the cartridge connector, and the supplier we initially selected doesn't offer that option.

The price is also highly dependent on the quantity of cartrdiges manufactured ; for example, for 200 units, the price per cartridge is about half of the one for 25 units.

maybe you can produce versions for all systems?

I will :)

I'm just asking for which one you want to buy.

The jagware cart is not that cheap, it's about 30 euros cart only without shell for 50 carts, maybe Zerosquare will answer with more precision on this.

The 15€ quote was far the parts and the PCB only ; the actual manufacuring has to be paid for, too ! The price doesn't include the cart shell either.

Additionally, it was preliminary quote ; we've found out that the PCB are going to be more expensive than planned, since the edges have to be bevelled to avoid any damage on the cartridge connector, and the supplier we initially selected doesn't offer that option.

The price is also highly dependent on the quantity of cartrdiges manufactured ; for example, for 200 units, the price per cartridge is about half of the one for 25 units.

Don't misunderstand me, I am not bashing the price. It's just a matter that I personally can't afford 50-Euro-games at all atm and expected a different price because of the statements about the parts. For one thing I did not expect there to be high manufacturing costs. I thought you'd order the PCB and the parts for 15 Euros and solder the chips by hand like for Lynx homebrews etc that usually cost around 30-35 Euros (no shell, but smaller chips I guess). I did not imagine you'd pay further manufacturing for the small quantity, that's where my idea of a total of 25-30 Euro came from.

I know that the quantity makes a huge difference, it was the same with Pier Solar.

Anyway, no big deal, I had just hoped for Jaguar homebrews to finally get really cheap when I read about the flashcart so I could get into Jag homebrew myself too. I'll just stick with Mega Drive, Dreamcast and Lynx stuff for now. :)

And for Elansar I will gladly purchase the PlayStation version then. :)

For one thing I did not expect there to be high manufacturing costs. I thought you'd order the PCB and the parts for 15 Euros and solder the chips by hand like for Lynx homebrews etc that usually cost around 30-35 Euros (no shell, but smaller chips I guess).
Hand soldering is much more tricky in this case. Here's how the PCB looks like :

cartouche_flash.jpg

Compare this with a homebrew Lynx cartridge :

c_Othello_front.jpg

Although soldering by hand is possible (we did it for the prototype), it's very tedious and not really reasonable when you have 50 or more cartridges to build.

I see what you mean. :P:

Many times the amount of work and harder too.

Anyway, it's still a more reasonable price point than previous Lynx releases on cart. I'm absolutely sure nobody will regret buying Elansar and all other homebrews that my come on such a cart in the future.

I voted Jaguar as well. You can't expect a cart to compete with a CD for price... there's tons of places that will do CDROMs cheap, while you have to handle carts pretty much yourself.

A couple questions... will the game handle NTSC as well as PAL? And how about languages for the game?

And finally, you need a SEGA CD32X version as well! :-D

• Like 1