IGNORED

How Fast Are PS Vita Memory Cards?It Might Surprise You! :O

Well, I hope Sony is happy with speed tests...because for me, it's the stupidly high cost of those proprietary memory cards that has kept me from buying their new console. I know from experience with my iPad that you need more than 16 gigs of space if you plan on downloading a good number of games... Which means I would be stuck paying an extra $100 for their 32 gig stick. There is no f--kin' way!

• Like 1

Well, I hope Sony is happy with speed tests...because for me, it's the stupidly high cost of those proprietary memory cards that has kept me from buying their new console. I know from experience with my iPad that you need more than 16 gigs of space if you plan on downloading a good number of games... Which means I would be stuck paying an extra $100 for their 32 gig stick. There is no f--kin' way!

I buy all hard copies of games so I didn't fork over for a 32 GB card. I didnt think it was necessary for one with what I was going to be doing with the Vita and two, like you, im not paying an extra $100 for a memory card. The games I do download are the Escape Plan and Mutant Blobs of the world which are pretty small unlike the retail games like Uncharted (over 3 gb!).

I have an iPad and the gaming on the Vita absolutely blows the iPad out of the water. Games like Plants vs Zombies and Angry Birds are fun at short bursts but they are games that that the Vita can do and there is zero chance the iPad could pull off a game like Rayman Origins. I gave Sonic CD a chance on the iPad, wasnt happening. There is no substitute for physical directional and action buttons in a game like that. I couldn't imagin the headache of trying to play a game that takes a little more precision like Rayman on the iPad.

The apps and web browsing in turn on the iPad blows the Vita out of the water. Hopefully Sony can find a happy medium where a top of the line gaming handheld can have functional tablet capabilities. I didn't buy it for that since I have an iPad already but I think it will help sales if it does. Also as a side, I didnt buy an iPad for gaming. By the end of the 3ds' and Vita's life span we will see what kind of world we are living in. A world where there is room for a more dedicated gaming device or a world where calorie counter apps sells systems :)

Edited by GKC

There is no substitute for physical directional and action buttons in a game like that. I couldn't imagin the headache of trying to play a game that takes a little more precision like Rayman on the iPad.

I agree with you on physical buttons. However, I got the iCade for Christmas, and for games that support it, it's fantastic! Again, not everything supports it...but when they do, it's awesome.

There is no substitute for physical directional and action buttons in a game like that. I couldn't imagin the headache of trying to play a game that takes a little more precision like Rayman on the iPad.

I agree with you on physical buttons. However, I got the iCade for Christmas, and for games that support it, it's fantastic! Again, not everything supports it...but when they do, it's awesome.

Don't get me wrong I've put a great deal of time into multiple tower defense type games on the iPad. I'm definitely not knocking the iPad but the gaming on the iPad has been a bonus for me because I didn't have games in mind when I bought it. Likewise with the Vita the small amount of apps it does have I see as a bonus because I had gaming in mind when I bought it.

Also, it's been a year since I bough my iPad, but isn't it a $100 difference between the 16gb and 32gb versions? I don't remember, I could he mixing up the 3G vs wifi versions. Anyways the difference between a 16gb card and 32gb card with the Vita is $40..... That was my attempt at trying to justify Sony's out of this world pricing for them :)

I buy all hard copies of games so I didn't fork over for a 32 GB card. I didnt think it was necessary for one with what I was going to be doing with the Vita and two, like you, im not paying an extra $100 for a memory card. The games I do download are the Escape Plan and Mutant Blobs of the world which are pretty small unlike the retail games like Uncharted (over 3 gb!).

I have an iPad and the gaming on the Vita absolutely blows the iPad out of the water. Games like Plants vs Zombies and Angry Birds are fun at short bursts but they are games that that the Vita can do and there is zero chance the iPad could pull off a game like Rayman Origins. I gave Sonic CD a chance on the iPad, wasnt happening. There is no substitute for physical directional and action buttons in a game like that. I couldn't imagin the headache of trying to play a game that takes a little more precision like Rayman on the iPad.

The apps and web browsing in turn on the iPad blows the Vita out of the water. Hopefully Sony can find a happy medium where a top of the line gaming handheld can have functional tablet capabilities. I didn't buy it for that since I have an iPad already but I think it will help sales if it does. Also as a side, I didnt buy an iPad for gaming. By the end of the 3ds' and Vita's life span we will see what kind of world we are living in. A world where there is room for a more dedicated gaming device or a world where calorie counter apps sells systems :)

Most of my gaming on iOs sucks big times. The other day I played Unchartered and some other games at BB. The Vita IS SWEET. And it's a great upgrade from the great PSP. And at $249 not too bad to buy any time soon.

I agree with the cost of memory cards. This is what I still cheer about with Ninty and the 3DS. There was the SD card right there in the console. No need to buy one extra.

That's one mark against the Vita for me really -- no pack-in stuff like the PSP Value Pack had in 2005!!Where's the games?Where's the slipcase?Where's the the wrist strap/lanyard at?Where's the mem stick?

Hell,at least,PSP Go came with 16GB of built-in memory and a couple game vouchers!! :mad: WTF were you thinking,Sony! :mad: You botched things a bit,you know?Only the Vita itself and Uncharted: Golden Abyss and etc help salvage the launch from the jaws of failure.

Edited by chris_lynx1989

That's one mark against the Vita for me really -- no pack-in stuff like the PSP Value Pack had in 2005!!Where's the games?Where's the slipcase?Where's the the wrist strap/lanyard at?Where's the mem stick?

Hell,at least,PSP Go came with 16GB of built-in memory and a couple game vouchers!! :mad: WTF were you thinking,Sony! :mad: You botched things a bit,you know?Only the Vita itself and Uncharted: Golden Abyss and etc help salvage the launch from the jaws of failure.

When I opened the 3ds I was pleasantly surprised by the included docking station. I had hoped for something similar to be included with the Vita. Nope not only is it not included but they charge $20 for it separately. Wow. Free stuff is always cool, I agree and sadly the Vita was lacking in that department.

• Like 1

Yeah,I have to purchase Sony's "Vita Starter Kit" to get stuff the Value Pack mostly had 7 years ago. :roll:

And new mem sticks when MagicGate or M2 ones were just fine?What gives there?Security concerns??I'm not sure I buy that logic. :) ;) How the hell can 3DS be surviving on "just" SD cards then?It seems to be! :lol:

The Vita for all it's niceties,just comes off as a shaft job to handheld fans on a certain level,I think. ;) A little like the Go but,a better unit with more chip muscle/screen.

Edited by chris_lynx1989

And new mem sticks when MagicGate or M2 ones were just fine?What gives there?Security concerns??I'm not sure I buy that logic. :) ;) How the hell can 3DS be surviving on "just" SD cards then?It seems to be! :lol:

Sony is understandably concerned about piracy, due to how to the extremely negative affect it had on PSP game sales. Surprisingly, even though the DS was so easy to hack, people were still buying software in droves. There's definitely something different about Sony's new cards though, as I was talking to a manufacturer of memory card readers and was told they're having one hell of a time finding a way to get usable data on and off the card.