IGNORED

Atari 8bit tosec files

since retro roms blogspot thing is no longer being maintained/updated (since their reliance on megaupload as there filesharing site, which is no longer) and that most of their links are now dead anyway

Is there another site that has the whole tosec files in one zip/rar or 7z...i.e all game atr's as one zip, all game xex's as one zip and the same for apps, demo's etc etc ( as per the way the aforementioned site had them)

please note, i am not interested in torrents, just another site that has the most recent (full) A8 tosec files...and I am interested in TOSEC FILES ONLY (or at least tosec formatted files)

Edited by carmel_andrews

I have the Tosec Atari set and have been considering uploading it and posting the link. Don't know if I want to host it or upload it elsewhere. If you have a suggested site to upload them to I would consider uploading them to that site. It should be a stable site without need to join to upload to.

Fat chance that any site would host a multi-gigabyte archive of A8 software in one file or one set of Rars, aside from the usual bunch of well known A8 sites and a few CD compilations that have been mentioned here occasionally.

Torrent is by far the best bet, and generally one of the easiest ways to aquire large data archives. You can set and forget, and set your own up/down speeds so it doesn't hog your bandwidth.

The legality of hosting any legacy A8 commercial software is a grey area at best, but mostly it's a case of they don't much care so long as nobody's doing it for money.

Fat chance that any site would host a multi-gigabyte archive of A8 software in one file or one set of Rars, aside from the usual bunch of well known A8 sites and a few CD compilations that have been mentioned here occasionally.

Torrent is by far the best bet, and generally one of the easiest ways to aquire large data archives. You can set and forget, and set your own up/down speeds so it doesn't hog your bandwidth.

The legality of hosting any legacy A8 commercial software is a grey area at best, but mostly it's a case of they don't much care so long as nobody's doing it for money.

My complete Tosec 2011-03 is just 207MB in RAR archive and only 117MB when archive is solid and 485MB when extracted.

I reccomend using a program called Jdownloader, its a wonderful file download manager that's updated daily, normally all you have to do is highlight all the links, hit copy and look in the linkfinder box, it will show you if they are valid and available, just tell it to continue with all.

Of course you still get to do the captcha's unless you have a premium account but it does save you forgetting to get one of the links and even if you fail a captcha by forgetting it was running at least the link is still left in Jdownloader.

It will even for those people like me who do not have a static IP restart your connection so you get a new IP therefore bypassing the waiting times between downloads.

One other nice feature is that for passworded files it allows you to enter the password with the download and then will unpack it for you, it also saves that password so if you download from the same people all the time you don't need to keep entering the password as it goes down the list of saved passwords until it finds the right one and unpacks it for you.

NO...I don't work for them :)

Edited by Mclaneinc

Most web searchs for the TOSEC 2011-03-13 Atari-8 files lead to the defunct megaupload, I did find the fhem at W-upload although all the download links I found are through safelinking.net. This is a pain unless you have their premium account.

You don't need the premium account, but you have to wait between the downloads. I think that is just the smallest problem to get the TOSEC files.

Most web searchs for the TOSEC 2011-03-13 Atari-8 files lead to the defunct megaupload, I did find the fhem at W-upload although all the download links I found are through safelinking.net. This is a pain unless you have their premium account.

You don't need the premium account, but you have to wait between the downloads. I think that is just the smallest problem to get the TOSEC files.

Depends on if you have a static IP or not, if no you can reconnect and go straight back for the next file, hence the mention of that program in my last post. It just uses a 3 line disconnect and login script and you are back to the goodness instantly :)

I did use cryptload, as everything is contained in one download, whereas with the jdownloader thing, it is only a web installer (i.e you have to be on the interweb to download the jdownload program)

Well since its an item to download files from the net it seems sensible that you would have access to the net to download Jdownloader.

Just had a look at Cryptload as I'm always keen to try a new program and wanted to see if it dealt with captcha's better, sadly it does not.

More worrying is that I got it from the Cryptload site and Comodo picked up a nasty as it unpacked, its also ad riddled...

I did use cryptload, as everything is contained in one download, whereas with the jdownloader thing, it is only a web installer (i.e you have to be on the interweb to download the jdownload program)

Well since its an item to download files from the net it seems sensible that you would have access to the net to download Jdownloader.

I think you missed the point i was making, in that jdownload only allows you to download the web installer which then lets you download the program, whereas cryptload doesn't bother with that crap, once you download cryptload, everything needed to leech files from the filesharing sites is included along with the program (i.e no more downloading needed)

I understood the point but its daft and wrong, both programs self update from install and retrieve extra released plugins, it was the first thing Cryptload did. And to be honest, with a 20mb file how much of a hassle is it really to use a net installer (needed as its a Java item) for 10 seconds of extra loader.

And I can say that cryptload is malware / adware and gives you a nasty little suprise when you get it.

Sorry Carmel, I think you are being way overly picky about the installer, if it was a 7 gig extra download I'd agree but a few megs, hardly worth the moan.

I think he means "use a particular feature of a web browser" - does jdownloader require java? :)

Yes, JDownloader is JAVA based and it won't run otherwise.

Stargunner:

Maybe that download is not the newest, but seriously, how many changes can there be on a 20+ years old platform ;) Anyways I can't find newer TOSEC then the one I posted the links for.

PS:

I've been running JD for at least 3 years now from a static IP and I don't mind the wait between downloads because I only download as a free user.

The entire set of all TOSEC files are at the torrent link below. Be warned that we are talking about 76 GB of files. If you only want the Atari TOSEC files, you can start the torrent then unselect any sets you don't want. They are the 11-11-2011 sets.

http://www.1clickdow...29%20Collection

Edited by kheffington
  • Like 1