IGNORED

FINALLY! Vectrex overlay repro's

VicViper

...and now he is an Atari Age member :) Glad to see him join our little group.

http://www.atariage....__fromsearch__1

Thanks for the heads up on this...what a fun group! I spent too much of last night reading through the topics on here. I'll admit that while I'm an avid classic arcade fan, I've never really plunged into the world of user groups, blogs or other places to dialogue about it.

I'm really not doing this to make a ton of money...it all started when I got frustrated over not having overlays for games on my multicart. I work in graphic design and figured that coming up with a non silk screened method couldn't be terribly hard for me...so I bought all the equipment needed and plugged out a sample set. Believe it or not the material costs don't leave much profit in the end, but that's not the point. It's just fun to create these things....and after a few $20-$30 purchases of original overlays that arrived in horrible condition, I realized this was a better way to go for me.

I'm not a print shop, nor do I mass produce these...but I'll keep it going as long as people are interested. Eventually I'll pay for the equipment I bought and perhaps create a fund to buy some more Vectrex stuff.

On a side note...I've located an expo table that has a remarkable similarity to the highly desirable Vectrex Store Kiosk (Google it if you don't know what I'm talking about). With the cutting machine I've ordered, I'm going to make a set of Vinyl decals to recreate the look and feel of the kiosk for my collection. If it doesn't turn out like crap and doesn't take me a month to complete just one of them, I may entertain the idea of selling these as well. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

...and now he is an Atari Age member :) Glad to see him join our little group.

http://www.atariage....__fromsearch__1

Thanks for the heads up on this...what a fun group! I spent too much of last night reading through the topics on here. I'll admit that while I'm an avid classic arcade fan, I've never really plunged into the world of user groups, blogs or other places to dialogue about it.

I'm really not doing this to make a ton of money...it all started when I got frustrated over not having overlays for games on my multicart. I work in graphic design and figured that coming up with a non silk screened method couldn't be terribly hard for me...so I bought all the equipment needed and plugged out a sample set. Believe it or not the material costs don't leave much profit in the end, but that's not the point. It's just fun to create these things....and after a few $20-$30 purchases of original overlays that arrived in horrible condition, I realized this was a better way to go for me.

I'm not a print shop, nor do I mass produce these...but I'll keep it going as long as people are interested. Eventually I'll pay for the equipment I bought and perhaps create a fund to buy some more Vectrex stuff.

On a side note...I've located an expo table that has a remarkable similarity to the highly desirable Vectrex Store Kiosk (Google it if you don't know what I'm talking about). With the cutting machine I've ordered, I'm going to make a set of Vinyl decals to recreate the look and feel of the kiosk for my collection. If it doesn't turn out like crap and doesn't take me a month to complete just one of them, I may entertain the idea of selling these as well. Any thoughts?

Sounds like a great idea. I've got a cricut myself and had planned on doing one for SNES and Vec myself. I'm intending to put these in my basement arcade so I'd love to locate that expo table myself. My poor SNES kiosk is so sad as a countertop model without the base.

AX

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums! I'll definitely be buying a couple once I decide which ones to get.

I'd love to have a printer to do this type of stuff, since I'm getting into re-theming pinball machines. It'd be nice to just design the playfield overlay and plastics in photoshop and print it out, unfortunately I know I wouldn't do enough to make it practical to buy the equipment. Unless if I heard wrong, the equipment to print white and on transparent surfaces is a good chunk of money.

the equipment to print white and on transparent surfaces is a good chunk of money.

Yes, that's always been the hardest part of doing homebrew Vec overlays. There was a cheap (ish) Alps printer that could print in white using a ribbon. I think it's been discontinued now though.

There's always liquid paper :)

Edited by Richard H.
  • Like 1

the equipment to print white and on transparent surfaces is a good chunk of money.

Yes, that's always been the hardest part of doing homebrew Vec overlays. There was a cheap (ish) Alps printer that could print in white using a ribbon. I think it's been discontinued now though.

There's always liquid paper :)

There are a lot of home version "plotters" on the market. AX mentioned that he has a "Cricut" machine which is a pretty popular one. The machine I got was actually from a print shop and does large format as well as smaller sizes....plus a host of other options that helps get some finer detailing. If you're savvy with prepping your files in Illustrator or Photoshop then it's not too hard. But it's true..the equipment to do this isn't pocket change....nothing compared to printing white ink on to a surface however.

It would be awesome if there was an affordable printer system that could print on a plastic surface, double-sided AND process an opaque white ink. Something tells me that's just not mainstream enough for consumer use ;-)

Are you printing anything on the overlays identifying them as reproductions? I'd hate to buy like a Polar Rescue complete in box just to find out an unscrupulous seller put one of your repro overlays in the box instead.

These are an awesome idea for someone with a multi-cart or that has a bunch of loose cartridges and wants to have the full Vectrex experience.

Edited by the-topdog

Are you printing anything on the overlays identifying them as reproductions? I'd hate to buy like a Polar Rescue complete in box just to find out an unscrupulous seller put one of your repro overlays in the box instead.

These are an awesome idea for someone with a multi-cart or that has a bunch of loose cartridges and wants to have the full Vectrex experience.

You flatter my ability to create a replica! These are very clearly not originals and appear so upon first inspection. If somebody ever tries to pawn my repros off as originals they'd be pretty foolish.

Functionally mine are three separate layers bonded together which makes the white parts on the reverse side (ink on the originals and computer cut adhesive paper on mine) an obvious tactile difference. I try to be clear that these reproductions are for using day to day and not meant to be exact replicas.

Perhaps a simple "replica" watermark on the white backing is a good idea. Thanks for the input!

A Mr Boston repro would be cool too. :)

I threw that together and will be adding it to the eBay auction in the near future. I also have responded to people that have custom requests as well...same price as auction - just send me your files and I'll let you know right away if it's high enough resolution to make an overlay.

As a recipient of some of the first of these, let me say that they are very nice options for anyone who doesn't already have the overlays they desire, and also for a Vectrekker like myself with very specific, odd holes in their collection to fill. They are pretty obviously not original, but the full effect of the overlay is intact. Since I already have all the original overlays, I got Sean Kelly's Dark Tower design and Thrust first, and have Mr. Boston, 2D Narrow Escape, PerformanceVX, and Star Sling on the way once omeganu sees my payment :) I simply cannot wait.

While at first glance these may seem expensive, filling the Mr. Boston hole is saving me multiple thousands of dollars in my eyes. My hat goes off to you omeganu, you should let me know anytime you add more designs!

There was a cheap (ish) Alps printer that could print in white using a ribbon. I think it's been discontinued now though.

I have that printer.. MD1000...

It did have a white ribbon (yep, not ink, ribbons.. Not cloth ribbons tho....)

They were designed to print on t-shirt transfers, so you could apply the transfers on different color shirts..

No idea if it would print on a transparancy sheet, and I don't think you can get ribbons for them anymore...

(Actually, looks like maybe I can, but they are spendy)

I suppose I should try it..

I really liked that printer...

desiv

(Unfortunately for me, I am the least craft-y person in existance...)

As a recipient of some of the first of these, let me say that they are very nice options for anyone who doesn't already have the overlays they desire, and also for a Vectrekker like myself with very specific, odd holes in their collection to fill. They are pretty obviously not original, but the full effect of the overlay is intact. Since I already have all the original overlays, I got Sean Kelly's Dark Tower design and Thrust first, and have Mr. Boston, 2D Narrow Escape, PerformanceVX, and Star Sling on the way once omeganu sees my payment :) I simply cannot wait.

While at first glance these may seem expensive, filling the Mr. Boston hole is saving me multiple thousands of dollars in my eyes. My hat goes off to you omeganu, you should let me know anytime you add more designs!

Yeah, please do keep buyers informed should you add more. With the VecFlash I'd enjoy an overlay for just about anything I can load up.

AX

Yeah, please do keep buyers informed should you add more. With the VecFlash I'd enjoy an overlay for just about anything I can load up.

AX

Desfeek...they're on their way in the mail as of tomorrow! :) AX...email me what games you want an overlay for and let's come up with something! support@skywaytwincities.com

You flatter my ability to create a replica! These are very clearly not originals and appear so upon first inspection. If somebody ever tries to pawn my repros off as originals they'd be pretty foolish.Functionally mine are three separate layers bonded together which makes the white parts on the reverse side (ink on the originals and computer cut adhesive paper on mine) an obvious tactile difference. I try to be clear that these reproductions are for using day to day and not meant to be exact replicas Perhaps a simple "replica" watermark on the white backing is a good idea. Thanks for the input!

How large of an overlay can you do? Also, do you do custom orders if someone can send you an image to be printed?