IGNORED

6502 Cross-Assembler for Mac OS X?

I saw a couple of threads on coding for the 6502 on the Mac (one from 2004, one from 2009), but I was wondering if there have been any new developments. A Google search turned up several cross-compilers, but they all seemed to be unsupported on the Mac and/or abandoned.

What's my best option?

cc65 has a 6502 assembler and is supported on OS-X.

...and if you use Homebrew, installing it is as easy as "brew install cc65".

I dunno about "currently maintained", but how much change do you expect on a compiler for a 40-year-old language on a 30-year-old platform? The cc65 homepage seems to have been updated in the last year, at least.

• Like 1

I dunno about "currently maintained", but how much change do you expect on a compiler for a 40-year-old language on a 30-year-old platform?

It always gives me pause when I see a project that has steady updates for a long time, and then none for a year or more. Is it abandonware? Did the author die? Or is it just bug-free and feature complete?

I'd found those, but none of them appear to have been updated in years. Isn't there anything that's currently maintained?

If you look on the CC65 FTP server the last example code and libraries (and the compiler system for Windows) are dated 8th of Feb this year. The snapshot was updated this morning. You can't get much more up to date than that ;).