IGNORED

What's your A8 development environment?

Guess I'll be the first to answer this.

This is my first A8 project to actually get any momentum since the 80's, so things may change after this one.

Right now, I am developing directly on my 800XL, using the Quick language.

When testing, I use Atari800MacX, because of its built in monitor and debugging tools.

I'm on a Windows 7 64-bit box. I use the WUDSN plugin for Eclipse for code entry, MADS as the assembler (and I am only using maybe 5% of the features of both). I haven't done full assembly projects yet, so I use Turbo BASIC XL for the framework, and assembly modules where speed is required. For testing, I use both Atari 800 Win+ and Altirra.

One day... Still on AtAsm and EditPlus. Lacking the quicklaunch of the emulator isn't what I'd call a big minus, but the overall packaging of a project can get pretty messy doing things the old way.

IMHO you can setup the EditPlus editor to compiling edited file and run it in emu by a keypress too.

I already do the assemble by one of 2 keys - 1 generates executables, other for raw binaries.

Autolaunch isn't here or there. I generally have the emulator just running anyway once something's starting to take shape, and it's often the case you might want to setup breakpoints and stuff anyway.

i'm using Crimson and Xasm on a couple of WinXP machines, testing in Atari 800Win for speed and Altirra for accuracy. Final testing is currently a stock 800XL connected to an SIO2SD.

I downloaded MADS, WUDSN, and Eclipse as well. I do most of my (non-A8) development these days in vim (although there is a config file for 6502 assembly available). I haven't been terribly happy with an IDE since the days of Borland. The developer tools for Mac OS X are OK (at least as of 10.4, which was the last time I used them). I'd tried Eclipse back when I was doing a little Java development, but hadn't been too impressed with it. In the intervening years, it seems to have gotten bettter (at first glance). Certainly the combination of that, WUDSN, MADS + Altirra is nice!

Ability to exclude blocks of lines from view would be nice.

e.g. blocks of comments, subroutines that are stable and not needed to be worked any further.

There's a couple of IDEs already doing that, but i've totally forgotten which ones... (doesn't WUDSN/b] do it?) You could cheat and farm those finished routines off into an include? =-)

Ability to exclude blocks of lines from view would be nice.

e.g. blocks of comments, subroutines that are stable and not needed to be worked any further.

Visual Studio 2010..

And all other versions as well, but in 2010 it works with any file type now, not just a parse-able source file in a language it understands..

makefile projects are what you want, though you don't need a makefile at all..

Just set it up to use build, clean, rebuild scripts in the NMake tab of the properties and bob's your uncle..

Helps if you have an assembler that outputs errors and warnings in the MSVC fashion, then you can just F4 and double click on errors and warnings in the output window..

edit: Here...

post-3913-0-15789800-1331231764_thumb.png