IGNORED

What's your A8 development environment?

Well, thanks to this thread. I have now written my first 6502 assembly program.

It's very simple, just a screen of text (mixed modes), with some flashing text. The timing for the flashing is done in a VBI, which is doubly amazing for me.

I am so chuffed :)

Edited by Pengwin
  • Like 1

Visual Studio supports regular expressions in searches :)

I'll shut up now, but it is the best tool for the job, IMHO ;)

(null)

I am in VS2010 all day every day, I absolutely love it. VS2011 beta looks like shit - I hope they fix it before release.

Still haven't got around to trying out 2011, but 2010 is the best version since 2005 I reckon.. I miss the old fashioned MSDN integration, though there's probably a way to get it back..

It keeps surprising me with cool things.. Only the other day I discovered that control and mouse wheel zooms windows font sizes ;)

(null)

Ability to exclude blocks of lines from view would be nice.

e.g. blocks of comments, subroutines that are stable and not needed to be worked any further.

There's a couple of IDEs already doing that, but i've totally forgotten which ones... (doesn't WUDSN/b] do it?)

You could cheat and farm those finished routines off into an include? =-)

No need for includes (though I also use them frequently for really separate parts in large projects). When you use MADS you will/should use .PROC/ENDP, .LOCAL/ENDL for defining the blocks. These explicit blocks and all implicit blocks like "IF/ENDIF", "REPT/ENDR" are list in the outline and inin the source ("+"/"-" signs). You can un/fold them in both locations. In the source you can then also hover over folded block to get a glimpse without unfolding them.

post-17404-0-29332100-1331257718_thumb.png

For a lot of my small A8 projects, I just use Notepad + MADS... no need for any build system since the assembler's so fast it can just reassemble everything. I use Altirra for main testing (of course :)) and then boot it on real hardware using AspeQt. For big projects -- Altirra's built-in ROM kernels and the Acid800 suite -- I drive a makefile from Visual Studio.

The cheesy one line compile-test cycle, just up-arrow and enter:

cl /Ox preprocess.cpp && preprocess && mads -c -l -t program.s && altirra /singleinstance program.obx

No need for includes (though I also use them frequently for really separate parts in large projects). When you use MADS you will/should use .PROC/ENDP, .LOCAL/ENDL for defining the blocks. These explicit blocks and all implicit blocks like "IF/ENDIF", "REPT/ENDR" are list in the outline and inin the source ("+"/"-" signs). You can un/fold them in both locations. In the source you can then also hover over folded block to get a glimpse without unfolding them.

Yikes - I was already using the collapsed outline view with the procedure wrappers, but it never occured to me I could fold the code window as well. Brilliant! :)

They define local symbol blocks. I forget the exact syntax in MADS, but it just means the scope of the labels is limited to the LOCAL block. Using PROC / ENDP you can refer to local symbols inside the block via "JMP routine.symbol", which is kind of nice.

EDIT: Correction to earlier comments regarding wildcard search in Eclipse. It's possible using regular expressions (which I just learned about). :)

Edited by flashjazzcat

Atari 600XL - 576KB (Battery backupped SRAM upgrade)- QMEG - BlackBox - Sio2IDE - Synassembler (on ROM) or Mac/65 (also on ROM). Last year I prefer Synassembler above Mac/65. It's an incredible powerful development environment.

Where do you get SynAssembler on ROM, is it still available?

Atari 800XL with 256K Ramrod XL and Newell OS with Fast Floating Point, Omnimon, and Omniview. Mac/65. After years of being boxed I just picked it up again last month. I'm still in the middle of imaging all my floppies, so then I can just use APE on a laptop as my "disk drives".

I'm a veteran in BASIC but pretty new to 6502 ASM but here's what I'm using.....

Cross-development: Eclipse/WUDSN/MADS under MacOS X 10.6 on my hackintosh desktop. Runs real nice. Works fairly seemlessly with Atari800MacX as well.

Native: Disk-based MAC/65 or TurboBASIC XL. I don't have a MAC/65 cart yet.

Maybe one day I'll get around to writing something worth showing off instead of playing around.

--Kevin

• 1 month later...

Traditionally, I had used MAC/65, AMAC, and SynAssembler at different points in time, all three of those assemblers doing the job quite well.

I have done a few things using ATASM on the PC, and now, given a pure assembly project, I won't use anything else. It's fast, it's MAC/65 compatible, and 6502 code can be assembled so fast, that you literally could write an assemble as you type routine.

However, with my latest project, I am essentially trying to do a complete modeless environment in Forth. The idea is to create a series of vocabularies to do ANTIC assembly/disassembly, a set of words to do graphic/sound editing, to inject vblank routines, etc.. so that a game/demo can be built interactively by moving from vocabulary to vocabulary without needing to launch specific tools.

-Thom