IGNORED

Tube

DrTypo

I tried this and all I get is a green screen?

:roll:

I really like this game. It's a lot of fun! :)

I run it via BJL using this line:

lo_inp -n -8 -s 168 tube.cof

The "-s 168" skips over the coff data on the front of the file.

I use Protector SE as the loader, which requires the -n. Maybe your loader doesn't. I also use the 8-bit loader, hence the -8. Maybe you use the 4-bit loader. I also find that files load better on my system -w 3 for the wait. I didn't add that to the line as that will vary for everybody. You should already know all these parameters if you use BJL at all; the only thing from my line you should use different than your "usual" settings is -s 168 and the name of the file.

Oh, this shouldn't need to be stated, but I will just in case... decompress the zip archive to get the uncompressed file, tube.cof.

:)

For the people who have trouble launching Tube with the Skunkboard, you can try the new file attached.

There were tracing related code left and apparently it was preventing the file from working properly.

I removed the code.

Rush6432 kindly tested the new file and it works for him.

So I hope it'll fix the problem for the other people who had issues with the Skunkboard.

tube.zip

• Like 5

For the people who have trouble launching Tube with the Skunkboard, you can try the new file attached.

There were tracing related code left and apparently it was preventing the file from working properly.

I removed the code.

So I hope it'll fix the problem for the other people who had issues with the Skunkboard.

So why did it work for some and not others? Does it mean there's a significant difference between skunkboard models? What model skunk were people using when it worked or failed?

So why did it work for some and not others? Does it mean there's a significant difference between skunkboard models? What model skunk were people using when it worked or failed?

Not that I'm aware of. The only major difference is between rev 1 and all others, where a different flash chip is in use (4MB versus 8MB, different instruction sets). But this doesn't affect the playback in any way that I know. My main suspicion is different versions of JCP - old versions had some bugs in parsing certain file types. I don't remember if there were any COF bugs, but maybe. (Nobody has sent me any data on this issue. ;) ) I did my quickie test on Rev 2, but the latest JCP (which I advise everyone to be on).

• Like 4

I removed the code.

Thats a very good question. ive noticed odd stuff with the verison 3 skunk where others seem to not have issues. I have noticed specifically i can load blackout on to my skunk while in development and run it fine however shawn wasnt able to some times and has a skunk 3 as well... worked every time for me. Gave him a batch file to automate the upload in slow xfer mode and standard and it made no difference some times. Ill have to go and check JCP versions on what ive got and what shawn has. I seem to remember getting it directly from the website... i am running linux however and not windows... not sure how up to date that version really is...

Ive also run into other odd issues like this as well with other binary files. dont have any other examples off the top of my head unfortunatly.

Edited by rush6432

I removed the code.

Thats a very good question. ive noticed odd stuff with the verison 3 skunk where others seem to not have issues. I have noticed specifically i can load blackout on to my skunk while in development and run it fine however shawn wasnt able to some times and has a skunk 3 as well... worked every time for me. Gave him a batch file to automate the upload in slow xfer mode and standard and it made no difference some times. Ill have to go and check JCP versions on what ive got and what shawn has. I seem to remember getting it directly from the website... i am running linux however and not windows... not sure how up to date that version really is...

Ive also run into other odd issues like this as well with other binary files. dont have any other examples off the top of my head unfortunatly.

Yeah sometimes I would run the file in standard, and got nothing, ran it in slow, got nothing, and then ran it in standard again and viola! It ran... so temperamental.

Yeah sometimes I would run the file in standard, and got nothing, ran it in slow, got nothing, and then ran it in standard again and viola! It ran... so temperamental.

Weird. Doubtful the problems are down to the skunk hardware or software though as they've proven to be rock solid, maybe try from different PCs? If I get time I'll try a few versions of jcp and different skunk and computer flavours.

• Like 1

Gave him a batch file to automate the upload in slow xfer mode and standard and it made no difference some times.

There is no slow transfer mode on the Skunk Rev 3 - it should never make a difference (actually, more accurately, there is no fast transfer mode on the Rev3, but slow mode was sped up considerably). If you see a difference it is just coincidence - that flag is ignored by the Rev 3 BIOS.

Ill have to go and check JCP versions on what ive got and what shawn has. I seem to remember getting it directly from the website... i am running linux however and not windows... not sure how up to date that version really is...

Probably older - there is no official Linux distribution, only helpful toolsets from third parties like BelBoz's. That said, the official distribution should be able to build JCP on Linux with a simple 'make'.

The latest JCP is 2.03.03 and parses the header of this file fine. If your session doesn't look exactly like this (using the file from post #53), you have a bug or an old version:

jcp v02.03.03 built on Oct 3 2010

COFF File: Skip 168 bytes, base addr is $4000, length is 604540 bytes

The upload of binary files is a bit of an art. JCP will attempt to guess what you are sending, but it can make mistakes and it can have bugs. If you are having trouble, you can try the same as with BJL and just order it to skip the COF header altogether and force the load address:

jcp -h 168 -o tube.cof $4000

That will look like this:

jcp v02.03.03 built on Oct 3 2010

COFF File: Skip 168 bytes, base addr is $4000, length is 604540 bytes

Forcing a manual header skip of 168 bytes (was 168)

The "was" part may differ...

I removed the code.

Tursi put a lot of work into these boards to make them available for the community. Did you give him a chance to try and sort it out? No one else seems to be having these problems.

Edited by JagChris

The 'fixed' version works fine on Virtual Jaguar on the Mac, though a little slow on mine.

Great little game. I hate the 'yellow' (fire?) surface! Would love to see something like this become a fully fledged game with multiple modes and tracks. I used to love Nanotek (sp?) Warrior on the PS, and still play a similar game (Boost 2 - great stuff, check it out) on my iPhone.

• Like 1

"Tursi put a lot of work into these boards to make them available for the community. Did you give him a chance to try and sort it out? No one else seems to be having these problems."

I havent had time yet... Been soo busy with my new job that I havent had the chance to sit down and troubleshoot.