IGNORED

Vectrex Kiosk Stand

omeganu

I'm starting a project to create a Vectrex kiosk display and would love any feedback you might have.

I just completed the "first phase" of the project and will post my progress at http://www.skywaytwi...trex/Kiosk.html

• Phase II will include affixing a plexiglass door to the front of the kiosk with shelves to display game boxes.
  • Phase III will determine if I will fashion a top to the display to mimic the vacuum molded plastic of the original
  • Phase IV will be the construction of the curved "backdrop" behind the Vectrex Console
  • Phase V will analyze my costs for all of this and see if anybody might want one of their own! (cost suggestions appreciated)

post-32225-0-55081800-1331750472_thumb.jpg

post-32225-0-34563200-1331750478_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Yes I would love one once I have seen the finished project. I would like to theknow the cost first. Then I would think about it.

In the end, I'll have a more clear picture on what it costs me to do one and how long it'll take...but I'm open to hearing what people think a project like this would be worth for them price wise.

You could print the side panels on a thin pvc board (sintra). This would help you avoid vacuum form or thermo-form for the plastic after printing. Thin pvc board will bend for you with no problem and can be printed to directly with a UV printer. All you would then need to do is use a router and create a channel in the counter top and base. The channel would accommodate the pvc board for you.

If you could provide me with the specs for the side panels (flat size), I can get you pricing. In case you were wondering, I am in the printing business with a focus on trade show and event displays. Let me know if there is any way I can help! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

You could print the side panels on a thin pvc board (sintra). This would help you avoid vacuum form or thermo-form for the plastic after printing. Thin pvc board will bend for you with no problem and can be printed to directly with a UV printer. All you would then need to do is use a router and create a channel in the counter top and base. The channel would accommodate the pvc board for you.

If you could provide me with the specs for the side panels (flat size), I can get you pricing. In case you were wondering, I am in the printing business with a focus on trade show and event displays. Let me know if there is any way I can help! :thumbsup:

By 'side panel' are you referring to the grey corrugated plastic exterior that I affixed the Vectrex logo and vertical stripes to?

Your suggestion for the 'backdrop' is exactly the route I'm planning on going! Although I don't plan to print directly on the pvc board...I'd like to accomodate a way to swap out what is being displayed.

To be honest, I kind of like how the flat black table looks with the Vectrex on it (no 'riser' of any kind to mimic the vacuum molded plastic topper of the original). The more I work with this project, the more I think it's better to make it "influenced" by the original store kiosk and not an attempted recreation.

I'd be willing to buy the kit parts for a do-it-yourself style assembly. It may be easier to divulge the place you can get the table, and then sell all the stuff to make it look like yours.

AX

Yes a kit would be a great idea. ;-)

Exactly my thought. The table arrives "flat" and my plans would be to acquire them, affix the designs, include the parts I'm adding (i.e., the display behind the Vectrex, etc.), re-package everything back into the kit and ship it off for assembly.

In the end I'd basically be modding a tradeshow kiosk with custom vinyl, graphics and custom built parts with a new set of instructions on how to put everything together.

• 1 month later...

Update....After several attempts at replicating a molded/formed topper for the kiosk, I've decided that for a modern twist, the Vectrex looks much better on the black surface as pictured above. Once a plexiglass door gets cut for the front opening, I'll see if boxed games will fit nicely or if a graphic is more appropriate turning the interior into storage for your Vectrex goodies.

I'm continuing to try different materials for a backdrop behind the actual console and have ruled out corrugated plastic. Next step is to explore a flat, non curved alternative since my expo table has a more elongated shape than the original store display.

• 1 month later...

It's looking better, but I am on the fence since it is just a dresser with a Vectrex sitting on top...

LOL it's a blank expo table with graphics and a door....much like the expo table the original store kiosk was. Nothing fancy.

Why not design something out of wood to at least cover the console, so it doesn't look like it's sitting on a dresser.

Don't take me the wrong way, as I am not dogging you or your effort, rather just stating my opinion on what I would send money with you on.

• Like 1