IGNORED

What was YOUR very first computer?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

TRS-80 Color Computer 2. At first I also thought it had worse graphics than an Atari 2600. Later I got a disk drive and discovered games like Shock Trooper, Marble Maze, and Time Bandit -- which proved that it actually could do some cool stuff.

The PC/XT was my dad's, so I can't really count that as mine (although I did use it a lot).

After that, it was an Amiga 500. For me, that machine re-defined what a personal computer could do.

Prior to the CoCo 2, I saw a TI-99/4A running a game in a display window. My parents had to drag me away from it.

Soon after, I saw an Atari 800 running Pac-Man. I was determined to get one of those. Over 30 years later I finally get an Atari 800XL. Better late than never!

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was rockin' a windows 98 (Maybe 95?) computer. That was my first. It then got upgraded to windows 2000. Oh god... the many memories spent on that thing. I just really wish I still had it. I remember my father talking about it recently on how he had upgraded the processor from 300mhz all the way to 700mhz and how it was a speed demon after that.

Edited by mehguy
  • Like 1

My dad bought us a Commodore 64 one year for Christmas, but there was something wrong with it, so it was immediately returned. We didn't get another computer until I convinced him to buy one years later, when he finally caved and bought us a Tandy 1000 EX. The understanding was that the computer would be used for school and not for games, since we had game consoles that were for game playing. Fortunately, that rule didn't last long, and my dad even ended up buying the memory expansion (256K to 640K), which was terribly expensive at the time, so that we could play better games (used to love Rampage on the Tandy 1000 EX, though it froze on me relatively often).

• Like 2

My first was the Philips G7000 with the "computer cartridge" or whatever it was called. Imagine the most shitty computer system that you have ever used ever in your entire life. Now, square that amount of shittyness. Now cube it. Now square it, and cube it again. You are still NOWHERE NEAR just how shit that thing was.

Then I got a TI and all was well, closely followed by the rubber-keyed God that is the Speccy 48K.

• Like 2

A coco2 won at a town homecoming raffle.

Later a tandy 1000sl/2 $2600.00 with monitor and printer. I think the dot matrix printer was 649.99. Still have both and all games etc. I remember playing all the sierra quest games on 16 color 3 channel sound. WOW were we ever amazed at the best sound and graphics ever heard by all my friends(compared to coleco atari 2600 etc.)

• Like 2

I had the same computer system, tapes and all. Small black and white tv for monitor. They did have a floppy drive but it was very expensive at that time. If you wanted something that you had stored on a tape, you had to go through the whole tape and if the volume wasn't set just right, you would have to do it again.
It was the TRS 80 color computer 64K I believe. Yes it is funny how technology has changed and the modem thing was very annoying.
Never at that time would have dreamed of computers the way that they are now let alone the way the internet has changed and the vast speed of the computers now.
Same thing with the old video games. I remember the old two bars and square ball and now to watch my son play that xbox 360 live on tv was just so unthought of back in my day. A big step up from the pac man that most of us were raised on and a lot more money also.

• Like 2

My very first computer was a Tek 8088 PC compatible with a whooping 42 mb HDD. 5.25" 360k floppy drive. Amber monitor. That thing was humongous. Got the job done with PW, Banner, QBasic, Works. For games I mostly remember playing Alleycat (the intro song just comes to mind), Flightmare, Digger, Pacman, Centipede, Hard Hat Mack.

• Like 1

First computer I ever put my hands on was an Apple ][+ at school. For Christmas one year my family got a TI-99/4A from K-Mart. It should have been a Commodore 64 but my parents saw me playing on the TI at the store every time we went there -- because the Commodore 64 was running the endless store demo disk and the TI had cartridges to play. Even though I wanted the C64 more, I did not stomp my feet and throw a tantrum, I buried myself in the manual and started programming right away. For me, because I had been exposed to the Apple, Atari, and the Commodore, it was just a different machine and it could do anything I wanted the same as the others.

I wound up moving away from the TI because it was just too expensive for young kid to build up. Most people I knew had Commodore 64s so I wound up buying one used and a retired disk drive from a local BBS operator. Stuck with the 64 and eventually 128 for about five years until I got an Amiga 500, but I still gamed and programmed a lot on the 128. Moved entirely to Amiga a couple of years after Q-Link shut down. Around 2000 I bought my first Windows computer and built my first Solaris machine. I still have an Amiga 2000, Amiga 4000, and Amiga 1200 (in descending order of portability,) a couple of TI-99/4As (one is F18A-enhanced) with PEB and CF7+, my trusty Commodore 128D.

You cannot pry this shit out of my cold dead hands if you tried with a hydraulic extraction kit.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...