IGNORED

EU 6-pin A/V cable

matthew180

Apparently they stopped selling them due too many complaints with the cable being incompatible with certain tv's and monitors as the TI99/4A does'nt exactly put out book standard component video signals.

Edited by OX.

Well that's the component video cable built, I chopped the end off and old Xbox 360 video cable and soldered on the 6 pin din connector, an utter pain to solder 5 gnd's, 2 audio and Y, Pr and Pb into 5 pins of the connector, I was about to give up until I had the idea to solder in some short wires to the connector and soldered the leads onto them, also had to trim the end of the din plug sheath as it was too narrow and tight to fit around the lead. It looks the job though.

Have'nt tested it yet so hope your wiring diagram is correct Ciro because that baby is not coming apart. icon_wink.gif

Edited by OX.

Well done... I already build about 10 cable like that one and was all working. If not... It could because the monitor/tv is not compatibile with this particolar signal or a wrong solder on the cable's pin :P

For example i have three tv at home and a Samsung is not compatibile, the Sony and the relisys yes instead.

Edited by ti99iuc
  • Thanks 1

Well done... I already build about 10 cable like that one and was all working. If not... It could because the monitor/tv is not compatibile with this particolar signal or a wrong solder on the cable's pin icon_razz.gif

For example i have three tv at home and a Samsung is not compatibile, the Sony and the relisys yes instead.

I tried it all out tonight, everything works except - faint VERTICAL LINES! All over the screen, yes my tv is a Samsung is this the problem you talk of Ciro? I wonder if some resistors are needed in the cable or it's a sheilding issue? Maybe the TI needs recapping, anyone had issues with faint vertical lines in their video output and fixed this? It's a shame because apart from the lines the picture is nice and sharp.

Edited by OX.

I never got the vertical lines issues, on my samsung i just have a blacn screen with the message of out of range (i have the model P2370HD)...

if Colors are nice and correct, it not seems a solder problem anyway... to be sure you should try the cable on another monitor i think. it could be also a signal synchronism/frequency problem on your samsung with the TI99 YUV2 signal.

I never got the vertical lines issues, on my samsung i just have a blacn screen with the message of out of range (i have the model P2370HD)...

if Colors are nice and correct, it not seems a solder problem anyway... to be sure you should try the cable on another monitor i think. it could be also a signal synchronism/frequency problem on your samsung with the TI99 YUV2 signal.

The only other TV I have with component inputs is - another Samsung :( Checked the cable with a multimeter and everything seems ok, no shorts. The only doubt I have about the wiring is there is a copper braiding in the outer sleeve of the cable and wonder if this needs to be soldered to the circular outer din plug for sheilding? The only other systems Iv'e seen this happen on before is on C64 and Atari 8 bit but these always seemed to be produced by the video chip in those systems and the vertical lines I'm getting from my new cable is far worse.

The colours don't seem right either they look a little washed out or slightly different pallette so wonder if this has something to do with it.

The only other TV I have with component inputs is - another Samsung :(

Have you anyway tried on that one too ?

Checked the cable with a multimeter and everything seems ok, no shorts.

The only doubt I have about the wiring is there is a copper braiding in the outer sleeve of the cable and wonder if this needs to be soldered to the circular outer din plug for sheilding?

if the copper braiding you mean is the ground cable you have to sold it on the GND pin of course.

The only other systems Iv'e seen this happen on before is on C64 and Atari 8 bit but these always seemed to be produced by the video chip in those systems and the vertical lines I'm getting from my new cable is far worse.

The colours don't seem right either they look a little washed out or slightly different pallette so wonder if this has something to do with it.

I don't think this is a TI99 hardware issue.

If you could post a picture of your screen i would be very curious to see it.

If the color palette seems very different you could also check better that colors pins (red, green, blue) are not exchanged among them.

Plugged this into my older Samsung tonight via Component video cable and got "out of range" message, I then plugged in the modulator via RF and picture was fine.

I think what I really need here is a full wiring spec for component cable just to make sure I've made the cable correctly, failing that it could be another failing of Samsung TV's.

Plugged this into my older Samsung tonight via Component video cable and got "out of range" message, I then plugged in the modulator via RF and picture was fine.

I think what I really need here is a full wiring spec for component cable just to make sure I've made the cable correctly, failing that it could be another failing of Samsung TV's.

OX, maybe i could try to send you my cable ? It works for sure and you could try it.

Send me your address in PM.

• 7 months later...

Hi guys,

I experenced the exact same issues that OX. described:

- LCD TV Samsung E series

- Ti-99/A Home made YPbPr component cable following ti99iuc diagram:

And the result: works, but colors are displayed incorrectly (like washed out, and some of them missing, f.ex. yellow). Also notice the commented vertical bars:

P.S.: Sorry guys, tried to attach the images but seems I'm not allowed to do so (yet).

Hello Quickie,

where do you live?

was it clear for you that the scheme is looking at the male connector of the cable and not at the female connection to the computer ?

if you done the cable thinking at this as the computer connector it could result inverted and so, also wrong colors.

anyway for experience i must say that Samsung brand is probably not compatible with this signal.

I have three TV: Samsung P2370HD, a Sony and a Relisys... well... Samsung is the only one that have problem with this cable.

also other guys tried it with Samsung TV and not success.

Edited by ti99iuc

Just rechecked the date of these postings- almost a replay of a series in 2006, complete with communications with Samsung. No solution was found other than accepting a mono signal.

The PAL chip has outputs of B-Y, R-Y and Y where Y is the luminance.

It may TI is out of spec- that R is out of range - the specs for 9928 and 9929 give R-Y as 0.93, less an offset of .46= 0.47, then Y as .67 putting R as (R-Y+Y)= 0.47+0.67 = 1.14v.

If Samsung is complaining "out of range" then too high a voltage seems probable.

Thierry wrote

(http://www.unige.ch/medecine/nouspikel/ti99/tms9918a.htm#Monitor plug):

The Y, R-Y and B-Y video signals from the TMS9928A and TMS9929A require an external encoding circuitery to drive a RGB monitor. The Y output signal incorporates the luminance signal and the necessary synchronisation signals. R-Y (red minus Y) and B-Y (blue minus Y) contain unmodulated chrominance information and are used in NTSC and PAL systems to modulate two carriers in quadrature. The output buffers are identical to the COMVID buffer described above and require the same pull-down resistor.

Hi ti99iuc,

I live in Spain, and yes, I understood that you noted on your diagram that it was the connector side (lato spinotti) :) however, I think that being Samsung LCD TVs too picky with components perhaps there might be some additional passive component addition that could help to fix this problem (capacitors/resistors).

Have tried to find out if there is some information about this topic elsewhere but couldn't find any interesting information, as this seems very specific (TI-99/4A Euro model).

Cheers

Hello Quickie,

where do you live?

was it clear for you that the scheme is looking at the male connector of the cable and not at the female connection to the computer ?

if you done the cable thinking at this as the computer connector it could result inverted and so, also wrong colors.

anyway for experience i must say that Samsung brand is probably not compatible with this signal.

I have three TV: Samsung P2370HD, a Sony and a Relisys... well... Samsung is the only one that have problem with this cable.

also other guys tried it with Samsung TV and not success.

Edited by Quickie

Just to add to this thread, the cable I built was exactly to spec the same as ti99iuc's, both cables gave the same results on my Samsung TV's so I then tried the cable with a converter box to convert from component video to hdmi in attempt to "clean" the signal from the TI, this also failed to work. Haven't tried adding any 330 Ohm pull-down resisitors though - maybe this will finally help.

• 6 months later...

Hey I just picked up a PAL TI, but I have no way of viewing anything at the moment. My only present method is to use a VCR as a converter from coax to composite, which I'll be able to test tomorrow.

It's too bad we can't make an 6-pin RGB cable that's compatible with the old Magnavox monitors... I considered buying a commodore serial 6-pin cable to mess with, but I realized it would be way above my skill level (None) to create, plus you'd have to split off a second cable for audio, so that's a heck of a lot of cable work. And the Tech Pages mention about needing an encoder suggests JUST a cable isn't enough.

Hi.

The PAL console does not have RGB, it uses a colour difference output from the console- apparently to make it easier to work with the French SECAM tv system.

To enable the PAL console to work with a PAL tv set you needed a PAL MODULATOR- the first part of which took the colour difference signal from the console and created a composite video signal, which was then fed into the small metal box inside which was the actual RF modulator.

It follows that if you open up your TI RF Modulator, you can have access to the composite signal that is fed into the actual modulator box!

Details of this can be found on the lovely web site at ti99iuc. The photographs and a little web translation should get you past the Italian.

The following link takes you to a selection of related articles:

http://www.ti99iuc.it/web/index.php?pagina=cerca&ricerca=modulator&cerca=Cerca

The output after conversion is ANALOG COMPOSITE, usually fed to tv sets etc via phono (RCA) cable.

Then you may find that your modern monitor is really unhappy with such a low definition signal.

regards

Stephen

Edited by blackbox

I have this cable that I can use to connect a PAL console to the component input of my Sony Bravia TV with quite good results. The color are a bit off but the image is very sharp. (I have a feeling we have been over this before :).)

attachicon.gifcomponent-cable.jpg

Yeah, I'd LOVE to have that cable, I could do a lot more with it. Unfortunately they are no longer made.

If you're interested in selling it let me know!