IGNORED

Attention Collectors: Atari-themed Disney trading pins

crankycraig

Hey guys -- just registered for the forums to let you in on something that might've gone under the radar. I searched for this but didn't find anything, so forgive me if you've been talking about this already.

Last year, in the summer of 2011 Disney released a series of Trading Pins called Penny Arcade, spotlighting 10 rides/movies in pin form using Atari 2600 style imagery.

http://eventservices...ng/pin?id=57372

I accidentally stumbled upon this series searching for Tron swag, but found someone selling sealed boxes -- the pins were oringally sold in random blind boxes of three pins a piece for 29.99, so a mark-up to $50 for something out of print wasn't that big of a deal. So I bought a couple boxes just to start collecting.

What I got was something truly stunning: not only do the pins have an Atari 2600 theme, but so does the packaging:

post-32314-0-91250200-1332200927_thumb.jpg

The box is a tribute to classic Atari-published VCS games (note the Disneyland castle in place of an Atari logo). The pins come packed in a smaller box inside shaped like an Atari cartridge.

I highly recommend tracking down a sealed blind box. There's at least one Buy it Now eBay entry here: http://www.ebay.com/...=item5d2ee71e61

Someone at Disney definitely holds the Atari legacy near and dear to their heart.

• Like 2

i too was wondering if anyone here ever saw these. last year i picked up one without the pins (just for the boxes), and another with the pins (all from the same seller). i actually got them for a steal on ebay, surprisingly. i know the seller didn't make back what he spent on them, but i'm guessing they were his doubles anyway.