IGNORED

I FINALLY purchased a Harmony Cart!

mtshark7

Looks like about 560 unique games. Some are NTSC and some are PAL, so you'd have to subtract the ones that don't match your console's video type. I believe he updates it every few months. I don't know that it includes homebrews or not.

No, it's strictly classic-era (1977-1992) games. Someone else was maintaining a collection of hacks and homebrews, but I don't think it's been updated since 2008 or so.

I don't think owning a Harmony cart would stop me buying carts, I mean emulation didn't stop me from collecting. Actually the opposite happens too since I couldn't find a satisfactory Intellivision or Dreamcast emulator(Quick easy startup.) which motivated me to get the consoles just to avoid headaches & hair pulling lol.

I think a Harmony cart offers more confidence in game purchases since you can try them out on the console before making a decision to buy. Its definitely great for trying out those rare games which vary between good and awful in quality (Solaris VS Vulture Attack), I'm not a completest so I only pursuit rare games that are actually fun.

We should all definitely buy as many homebrew carts as we can since they need our support to continue this grand tradition ijs.

Anyway congratulations on your purchase, its a great product I'd recommend to any Atari fan. :)

Not only have I continued to get additional carts since I got a harmony, I have started making them because of it!

Not only have I continued to get additional carts since I got a harmony, I have started making them because of it!

Awesome!!!!!!

• 2 months later...

Ok, I'm obviously a "newbie" and computer/techie challanged. What is this Harmony Cart thing people are talking about on this website. Wonder If it's something I may be interested in? I play about 82 game original carts on my 4-switcher 2600 console. What can the Harmony Cart do for me that I don't currently have?? Anyone willing to explain the "hype" is more that welcome.

Thanks.

Ok, I'm obviously a "newbie" and computer/techie challanged. What is this Harmony Cart thing people are talking about on this website. Wonder If it's something I may be interested in? I play about 82 game original carts on my 4-switcher 2600 console. What can the Harmony Cart do for me that I don't currently have?? Anyone willing to explain the "hype" is more that welcome.

Thanks.

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-harmony-cartridge.html

So I finally ordered my Harmony Cart today and I had a couple of questions since I'm prolly the last person on AA that doesn't have one, lol.

So since I collect video games as a hobby.

Does having the multicart stop people from continuing to collect carts?

Or have people on here bought a harmony cart and still continued to collect carts?

I still collect. I think of it as a collecting tool. I can keep my collection in cart sized Ziploc bags in pristine condition and keep my VCS's cartridge slot in pristine condition. I can also collect ROMs. I'll never stop collecting because I love it and I couldn't trust anyone to preserve my collection.

Thanks.

http://www.randomter...-cartridge.html

thanks for the link. I'm starting to see what it's about. Sounds like it's probably over my "computer skill" limits though. I'll keep reading.

thanks for the link. I'm starting to see what it's about. Sounds like it's probably over my "computer skill" limits though. I'll keep reading.

Really? Honestly, when you get to the heart of it if you can read/write to an SD card that is pretty much all the skill you require. When it boils all down you simply drop the ROMS to SD card, insert in Harmony, insert Harmony into 2600 and turn on your console, select game from menu and your off........

Thanks.

http://www.randomter...-cartridge.html

I'm retarded , I type with one finger, and I figured out the Harmony Cart. It is easier than it sounds and if you need help with a step then there are people here willing to help.

• Like 1

In the end, playing your favourite game on your beloved Atari can only be done via real cartridge...

batari is a smart guy and knew there would be customers who would prefer to play their favorite games with real cartridges. So, he uses a technology invented by Atari to give our Harmony Carts the ability to be removed from our beloved Ataris. This technology isn't perfect though. It only works for our favorite games that have real cartridges.

Really? Honestly, when you get to the heart of it if you can read/write to an SD card that is pretty much all the skill you require. When it boils all down you simply drop the ROMS to SD card, insert in Harmony, insert Harmony into 2600 and turn on your console, select game from menu and your off........

Well for starters, I have no idea what ROMS means, and I only have a vague idea of what SD card means (I think it's some kind of flashdrive people use on their cameras).

Well for starters, I have no idea what ROMS means, and I only have a vague idea of what SD card means (I think it's some kind of flashdrive people use on their cameras).

I'm in the same boat, and I can use a Harmony. Get the Deluxe version or whatever it's called. It's the one that costs a little more but it comes with a pre-programmed SD card. You push in the SD card and it pops out and you plug it into your computer. My printer had a slot for an SD card, some computers do also. I got a new printer so I had to purchase an SD card reader that plugs into an USB slot from Radioshack. The Harmony card has a hookup for a cord that can go to a USB slot, but that never worked for me.

Once you have the card plugged into your computer, double click "Computer" on your desktop or Start-up and you should see the Harmony. Double click it and a box will come up.

Now for the ROMS. I don't know what they mean either. All I know is they are a file that ends with .bin and allows you to transport games. To download a ROM, go to the AtariAge database (there are other sources for ROMs, too) and type in the game you want. You'll see a Pac-Man icon that says "Download ROM." Double click it and either save it to your desktop or it will go to your Downloads folder. Then all you need to do is drag it and drop it into the Harmony box. When you put the card back in the Harmony and turn on the console, the game will be there ready to play. It is that easy.

ROMs in one package:

http://www.atarimani..._2600_roms.html

ROM is an acronym for Read-Only Memory. As it says at Wikipedia, a ROM file contains a copy of the data from a read-only memory chip, often from a video game cartridge. In other words, an Atari 2600 ROM file is a copy of an Atari 2600 game.

Related Links:

What is the Harmony Cartridge?

Inside Your Atari VCS Game Cartridge

I downloaded the above link. I used the folders that have the games in alphabetical order as there were a lot of duplicates and multi packs in the big folder. I was just adding to my Harmony games I didn't have that I wanted to play but then I thought, why dig through my cartridges when I want to play Golf or Pele's Soccer when I can just have everything on my Harmony cart and leave it in the slot, duh!

I'm in the same boat, and I can use a Harmony. Get the Deluxe version or whatever it's called. It's the one that costs a little more but it comes with a pre-programmed SD card. You push in the SD card and it pops out and you plug it into your computer. My printer had a slot for an SD card, some computers do also. I got a new printer so I had to purchase an SD card reader that plugs into an USB slot from Radioshack. The Harmony card has a hookup for a cord that can go to a USB slot, but that never worked for me.

Once you have the card plugged into your computer, double click "Computer" on your desktop or Start-up and you should see the Harmony. Double click it and a box will come up.

Now for the ROMS. I don't know what they mean either. All I know is they are a file that ends with .bin and allows you to transport games. To download a ROM, go to the AtariAge database (there are other sources for ROMs, too) and type in the game you want. You'll see a Pac-Man icon that says "Download ROM." Double click it and either save it to your desktop or it will go to your Downloads folder. Then all you need to do is drag it and drop it into the Harmony box. When you put the card back in the Harmony and turn on the console, the game will be there ready to play. It is that easy.

nice detail in your description...you make it sound easy. I think I could do it now.

thanks.

• Like 2