IGNORED

What is your All-Time favorite Atari 8-bit game song?

Gunstar

I mean, which other game do you know, playing a "real" MOD file in the title?

Quite a few, all by Tomasz Liebich. See Master Head, Snowball, Vicky.

Tomasz Liebich is definitly the best musician on the A8. No doubt. I wonder, if he is doing some stuff on the A8. Someone really should contact him, for the music sources and to build a Tracker around it, including the "advanced POKEY features"...

About Fluid Kha. The digis get rather more into the melodic part. Just not acting as digis, or low notes, they get into the middle range, while the screen is on.

A masterpiece of it's time.

Edited by emkay

Here a video of the tune. I mean, which other game do you know, playing a "real" MOD file in the title?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP0E6zbrjH0

That's pretty bloody awful, honestly Emkay.. The section from 1:19 to 1:29 is cool, but the rest is just plain bad.. Hell, they've even gone the whole hog and made the samples out of tune as well.. As if it's some kind of weird fetish and everyone's doing it, so we'll do it too..

• Like 2

Mouse Trap tune was fun... Amaurote I was pulling my hair out at the music and gameplay

Mouse Trap tune is another famous composition rendered on Pokey, as are quite a few that heve been mentioned in this thread.

I'm not sure if pulling your hair out is meant to convey a good thing or bad thing here...I know I like the tune, but "pull my hair out" trying to figure out the gameplay and controls (in a BAD way...very frustrating) I want to love the game too; great music, great graphics, but what the hell am I doing?!?

I've been pondering my favorite(s) lately, after getting some great reminders from others, and I've narrowed my choices, and have come to the conclusion that the choice cannot just be my favorite for some "cool" factor or technical prowess, but becuase it is a catchy tune that I find myself loading the game up, just to sit and listen to the music. There are about half a dozen games, over the years, that I often just load and listen too. Like Ballblazer, Bluemax 2001, Draconus* and Zybex* off the top of my head, and I often go into taverns in Alternate Reality City&Dungeon just to listen to the "band" songs. My favorite Alternate Reality song is 'Thorean Dan' (sorry if I misspelled that). I often daydream, while listening to this song, of going to a Renessiance Fair dressed as a Bard singing this song. Of course I'd never do it in real life out of self-respect (I'm not nerdy enough to actually do it).

*Have you heard the live renditions of these songs yet? (wait for Zybex tune in second one- 2:11, more Draconus musix at 6:52)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSEIUPJ0hQU&feature=related

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Here a video of the tune. I mean, which other game do you know, playing a "real" MOD file in the title?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP0E6zbrjH0

That's pretty bloody awful, honestly Emkay.. The section from 1:19 to 1:29 is cool, but the rest is just plain bad.. Hell, they've even gone the whole hog and made the samples out of tune as well.. As if it's some kind of weird fetish and everyone's doing it, so we'll do it too..

ROTFLMAO

If this music is as "out of tune" as you state, 99% of all AMIGA mods and SID tunes were "out of tune" too.

I wonder why people grant it to SID "music" and thell other's sounding bad?

This really becomes more and more ridiculous.

The part between 1:19 and 1:29 states only your taste of what you like. It's a huge difference, if you don't like a sounding, or someone is playing cats on the record ...

Edited by emkay

ROTFLMAO

If this music is as "out of tune" as you state, 99% of all AMIGA mods and SID tunes were "out of tune" too.

I wonder why people grant it to SID "music" and thell other's sounding bad?

This really becomes more and more ridiculous.

The part between 1:19 and 1:29 states only your taste of what you like. It's a huge difference, if you don't like a sounding, or someone is playing cats on the record ...

I'm puzzled as to how you can't hear all the wonky notes in that, actually maybe I'm not ;) The frequency table for the samples is well off on some of those notes, and I find it tiring to listen to because of that.. Music is supposed to be about pleasure to the ears, and the Fluid-Kha music is not pleasure in my books.. It's annoying..

And for the record, since you asked, I loathe Amiga music with a vicious vicious passion.. 4 channels of crap 8 bit samples is something I don't think I have a bigger hatred for, especially when bad sampling, out of tune samples and monkeys that have no musical skills are added to the package ;) Yes, there's some great tunes out there, but the vast majority are turgid bile imho :) The Amiga made it easy for any monkey to make a tune.. And they did.. Lots.. It's not really Amiga personally, but the fact I do generally dislike samples, especially when there's nothing else added to the sound so you just have a raw sample at different rates.. Add things likes envelopes, modulation, filters that aren't part of the sample and stop that horrible horrible sound of a single pitch shifted sample, and I'm a happy bunny..

• Like 2

I won't repeat my favorites that have already been mentioned, here are a few of my remaining favorites:

Chicken Intro by Mike potter

http://asma.atari.or...h.php?play=2252

If the phrase 'Wall of Sound' can be applied to any 8 bit computer music it would be that. Can't get enough of it.

Slime by Synapse

Couldn't find it in ASMA or Youtube :(

Elektra Glide game over outtro

Short but awesome.

I'm puzzled as to how you can't hear all the wonky notes in that, actually maybe I'm not ;) The frequency table for the samples is well off on some of those notes, and I find it tiring to listen to because of that.. Music is supposed to be about pleasure to the ears, and the Fluid-Kha music is not pleasure in my books.. It's annoying..

Your wonky notes fit to the tune (characterizing sounds) and the tune is fluent in it's way. Which is better than clean notes playing nothing to mention of.

You seem also rather limited in music recognition. Not sure what music you hear in your real life, but I prefer when the instruments fit to the music. And music is also working in different ways. It can be fun, it can be nice, it can be just "something", ambient , and something annoying, something horrible.

Your wonky notes fit to the tune (characterizing sounds) and the tune is fluent in it's way. Which is better than clean notes playing nothing to mention of.

You seem also rather limited in music recognition. Not sure what music you hear in your real life, but I prefer when the instruments fit to the music. And music is also working in different ways. It can be fun, it can be nice, it can be just "something", ambient , and something annoying, something horrible.

So earlier, you were rolling around on the floor doing whatever out loud because I said it was out of tune.. And now you're agreeing that it is..

You're plain mad..

So earlier, you were rolling around on the floor doing whatever out loud because I said it was out of tune.. And now you're agreeing that it is..

You're plain mad..

You seem to get even your own writings wrong...

The tune is in no way "bloody awful". It's a balanced tune with "fitting sounds". Not the peak of the possible though. But, thinking of the time and the used equipment, it's really outstanding, as coders today still seem not able to put this into a perfect music tracker.

You're plain mad..

You seem to get even your own writings wrong...

The tune is in no way "bloody awful". It's a balanced tune with "fitting sounds". Not the peak of the possible though. But, thinking of the time and the used equipment, it's really outstanding, as coders today still seem not able to put this into a perfect music tracker.

You ALWAYS forget to put "IMHO" on your posts. Andy also too this time.

Music is subjective, be it commercial chart music or game tunes. Also Amiga has no soundchip, just 4 DACs with AM/FM controls under DMA, crap tunes on Amiga are 100% lack of talent/effort in contrast.Stop fighting take it to PMs plz ;)

I vote Gyruss myself, but listening to all nominations. Nice topic :).

Dang! There are a lot of great tunes of which all of you are reminding me. I was just playing Lucasfilm's Eidelon last night and I sat listening to it's title song for quite a while, very good (I don't think it's an original score for the game, I'm sure I've heard it elswhere.

But Conan and TofA are also damn good. Spy Hunter's tune is a classic tune (existing before the game) and I like it in the game, but I always felt it could have been better on the Atari. It get's creative, but having heard the original song away from Spy Hunter, I am left wanting better.

Edited by Gunstar

I prefer the Outro. It's more POKEY-ish and has more bass power.

Fluid-Kha Intro: worst tune I have ever heard. Can't believe Liebich did this one ... probably he was drunk. :D

One of the best mixes of samples and Pokey-synths (first part from 0 to 4:20):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e64J4OEyJ-0

Epic tune.

Edited by R4ngerM4n