IGNORED

Paddle Party Development Diary

I thought I would start one of these game development diary threads for "Paddle Party" so people don't feel like they have to ask "Is it done yet?" Over and over (they probably will anyway, but it's worth a try...)

I am still bogged down with the "Tennis in Space" game. Yesterday, I got to the point where I have a lot of animated meteors on the screen, scrolling vertically and horizontally. Luckily, the collisions don't work yet. I will have to clear out some meteors to make a path for the player to take...

post-14916-0-48374400-1332381701.gif

Other games have not changed recently.

1. Intellipongola - works, but needs some tuning and tweaks.

2. Doubleball - works and is fun (I think), but needs some tuning and tweaks.

3. Air Hockey - The first pass of the collision code is in and has many bugs.

4. Handball - looks like a game, but doesn't really work.

5. Tennis in Space - scrolling works - need to fix the tennis game and add collisions and scoring...

Catsfolly

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Handball physics (WIP)

This is the current state of Handball physics - a key component of the Handball game in "Paddle Party", the "not-yet-finished"™ Intellivision game.

In my mind, the big difference between Tennis and Handball is that in Handball, both players are on the same side of the court, so it is possible for them to interact - i.e. bash each other.

Of course, in real Handball there are probably rules against such things.

But in my fantasy futurist imaginary vehicular video-game type Handball, there are no rules...

post-14916-0-87079000-1335891229.gif

The gif file shows:

1. Cars colliding with each other.

2. Cars jumping.

3. Cars riding on top of other cars.

4. Cars jumping while riding on top of other cars.

5. Cars jumping with a car on top of them.

6. A car jumping off another car at the apex of its jump...

Catsfolly

• Like 1

Handball physics (WIP)

This is the current state of Handball physics - a key component of the Handball game in "Paddle Party", the "not-yet-finished"™ Intellivision game.

In my mind, the big difference between Tennis and Handball is that in Handball, both players are on the same side of the court, so it is possible for them to interact - i.e. bash each other.

Of course, in real Handball there are probably rules against such things.

But in my fantasy futurist imaginary vehicular video-game type Handball, there are no rules...

post-14916-0-87079000-1335891229.gif

The gif file shows:

1. Cars colliding with each other.

2. Cars jumping.

3. Cars riding on top of other cars.

4. Cars jumping while riding on top of other cars.

5. Cars jumping with a car on top of them.

6. A car jumping off another car at the apex of its jump...

Catsfolly

Wow! It looks very impressive, I can't wait to play it! Any chance of releasing a test ROM? I'll test it for you.

-dZ.

Wow! It looks very impressive, I can't wait to play it! Any chance of releasing a test ROM? I'll test it for you.

-dZ.

Thanks for checking it out.

I'd be very happy if you would test the game for me, once the game is actually playable.

Stay tuned...

Catsfolly

Handball game play!

This is what the Handball game play looks like at the moment:

post-14916-0-05694500-1336065571.gif

What do you think?

Catsfolly

I think it looks fantastic!

I personally would expect the physics to have a bit more weight, or higher acceleration, unless you're intention is to have it take place on the moon or something.

-dZ.

By the way, you weren't joking when you said you were working on a "chaos theory inspired, tank battle based, gambling simulation," where you? If so, would one be able to bet on Paddle Party? :)

Handball game play!

This is what the Handball game play looks like at the moment:

post-14916-0-05694500-1336065571.gif

What do you think?

Catsfolly

I think it looks fantastic!

I personally would expect the physics to have a bit more weight, or higher acceleration, unless you're intention is to have it take place on the moon or something.

-dZ.

Yeah, that's it! It's Lunar Handball!

Actually I can easily change the acceleration of gravity - it's just a constant. This speed is twice as fast as the physics demo.

This speed is kind of fun (it gives me time to maneuver in the air...) but I'll experiment with other speeds...

Thanks for checking it out!

Catsfolly

By the way, you weren't joking when you said you were working on a "chaos theory inspired, tank battle based, gambling simulation," where you? If so, would one be able to bet on Paddle Party? :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

The tank game is definitely on the "back burner" at this time. Thanks for remembering it.

Catsfolly

Paddle Party Handball rules

1. If the ball hits the ground when it's your color, you lose a point.

2. You can only hit the ball when it's moving downward.

3. It's okay to hit the ball when it's the other player's color.

4. First player to get 15 points wins.

How do you get points? (I'm sorry, I don't know the rules to real Handball either.)

How do you get points? (I'm sorry, I don't know the rules to real Handball either.)

Sorry, I guess my rules weren't very clear.

Rule 1 should read:

1. If the ball hits the ground when it's your color, the other player gets a point.

Rule 1 should read:

1. If the ball hits the ground when it's your color, the other player gets a point.

So the player with the colour of the ball touching the ground loses a point, and the opponent gets the point?

I guess it doesn't really matter. Finish the game and we'll see the rules in action. :)

-dZ.

Rule 1 should read:

So the player with the colour of the ball touching the ground loses a point, and the opponent gets the point?

I believe the intention is not to do both... Award a point to the other player when you drop the ball. "You drop the ball" is defined as "it's your color". What's missing is the rule for changing colors.

I suspect it's like tennis: I hit the ball, and so then it's on you to hit the ball, so the color changes to the other player's color. Hence the rule "It's OK to hit the ball when it's the other player's color." It just means you can whack the ball twice on its way to the opponent, to screw up their ability to answer the volley.

Rule 1 should read:

I believe the intention is not to do both... Award a point to the other player when you drop the ball. "You drop the ball" is defined as "it's your color". What's missing is the rule for changing colors.

I suspect it's like tennis: I hit the ball, and so then it's on you to hit the ball, so the color changes to the other player's color. Hence the rule "It's OK to hit the ball when it's the other player's color." It just means you can whack the ball twice on its way to the opponent, to screw up their ability to answer the volley.

Exactly.

You never lose any points. The opponent gets a point when you miss the ball (when it's your color).

It's just like the tennis game except that the ball changes color to let you know which player has to hit the ball.

When ball is your color and you hit it, it changes to the opponent's color and they are on the spot to get the ball.

For the benefit of color blind people (or hard-core retro players who still have black and white TV sets), the ball is also marked with a symbol

(O or X) (maru or batsu in Japanese)...

You'll see...

Catsfolly

Rule 1 should read:

Exactly.

You never lose any points. The opponent gets a point when you miss the ball (when it's your color).

It's just like the tennis game except that the ball changes color to let you know which player has to hit the ball.

When ball is your color and you hit it, it changes to the opponent's color and they are on the spot to get the ball.

For the benefit of color blind people (or hard-core retro players who still have black and white TV sets), the ball is also marked with a symbol

(O or X) (maru or batsu in Japanese)...

You'll see...

Catsfolly

but the instructions of the Inty says: Only for colour tv! :-)

Kobayashi Maru ;-)

Tweaking the Handball screen design.

My brain is too tired for programming today, so I am fooling around with graphics and colors.

Here are some different ideas for the Handball screen. What do you think? Do you like any of them? Hate any of them?

Let me know....

1. Deep Purple:

post-14916-0-86562100-1336319564_thumb.gif

2. Purple and Black:

post-14916-0-98466300-1336319599_thumb.gif

3. Plain Black:

post-14916-0-74090200-1336319621_thumb.gif

4. Dark Green:

post-14916-0-76984900-1336319654_thumb.gif

5. Color Squares accident (it was an accident, but it looks kind of interesting - maybe I could use colored square to make a more colorful background...)

post-14916-0-66078800-1336319718_thumb.gif

Catsfolly

Tweaking the Handball screen design.

My brain is too tired for programming today, so I am fooling around with graphics and colors.

Here are some different ideas for the Handball screen. What do you think? Do you like any of them? Hate any of them?

Let me know....

1. Deep Purple:

post-14916-0-86562100-1336319564_thumb.gif

2. Purple and Black:

post-14916-0-98466300-1336319599_thumb.gif

3. Plain Black:

post-14916-0-74090200-1336319621_thumb.gif

4. Dark Green:

post-14916-0-76984900-1336319654_thumb.gif

5. Color Squares accident (it was an accident, but it looks kind of interesting - maybe I could use colored square to make a more colorful background...)

post-14916-0-66078800-1336319718_thumb.gif

Catsfolly

I vote for black or green. I am more inclined towards the green one, since blank is typically the "I didn't bother painting the background" look found in old Atari VCS games. The purple one is nice, but I'm betting it will start burning into my retinas after a few minutes.

I would also suggest setting the "score" boxes to black in the green screen, maybe even yellow. I like the demarkation they create.

-dZ.