Ghouls 'N Ghost's / Daimakaimura on 16-bit platforms

comparison:

Arcade CPS

arcadegng1as9.jpg

SuperGrafx

supergrafxghoulsnghostsyl7.png

MD/Genesis

genesisghouls1ew6.jpg

X68000 (notice it's the only one here that has the detail & color of the arcade)

x68000gng1ey5.jpg

The Capcom Generation 2 versions on PS1 and Saturn suffer from various problems that the X68000 and Arcade don't.

I'm not including SNES/GBA Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts because that's a different game (3rd in the series)

This is all about Daimakaimura / Ghouls 'N Ghosts

Surprising coincidence, I'll be playing it on the PS2 CCC tonight :)

It should be pretty much like the PS1/Saturn versions, so I wonder if you could go into detail some regarding the "various problems" these ports suffer from?

GnG on PS1 suffers from dark distant parallax backgrounds, there is slow-down in the Saturn version on stage 1-2, the emulation of both is a bit wonky and the PS1 version was the basis for all other ports.

It was intended to be a next step up but ended up more like an expanded edition of the original in stand-alone form. Sort of what the SGM will be for the ColecoVision and the XM will be for the 7800 - just bundled into one system.

A sort of better comparison would be a Genesis & 32X as one system...Just with obviously not as high specs. It built off the original system with some more ram, another video controller and a few more features, but the same foundational core.

Edited by Trebor

I've never heard of this SuperGrafx... was it like the next step after the TG16? like the Genesis was to the SMS?

SuperGrafx came out in November 1989 in Japan. It was supposed to be the PC-Engine 2, with a 16-Bit CPU, much better graphics and audio.

Sadly, the SGX was only a modest improvement in graphics over the old PC-Engine/TG-16. No 16-Bit CPU, no improved audio.

Developers were happy with the old PC-Engine and stuck by it.

Only 5 SGX-exclusive games were made for it: Battle Ace, Granzort, Ghouls n' Ghosts, Aldynes and 1941. There were many powerful rumors about

a SGX Strider, but it never happened.

SuperGrafx is considered a collectors item,

Edited by parallaxscrolling

I've heard that Darius Plus was suppose to be "enhance" on the Super Grafx?

I have a Super Grafx as well as Ghouls n Ghosts and the PC Engine game of Darius Plus, but I have no other means to play Darius Plus to see if there is in fact any improvement...

The Super Grafx has a double the video hardware of the original PC Engine. It didn't catch on because the lack of a better CPU made it harder to program for. Plus, the PCE + CD combination allowed for cooler shit anyways.

Daimakaimura for Super Grafx is the best playing home version, and depending on your preferences, it has better audio. I like the Super Grafx audio far more than tinny FM music. The X68000 looks on par with the arcade, but doesn't play as nice. Plus, it's an X68000. If you think getting a SuperGrafx stateside is a PITA... getting an X68000 is worse.

Also, Torr, why is it surprising that the PCE looks better than the Genesis?

PC Engine in general has better color options for sprites and background tiles, so it shouldn't really be that shocking. You don't have to be a master of dithering to get the PCE to look right.

Where a PCE version would struggle, is with the paralax, as the MD has a 2nd bg layer available, while the PCE only has 1. But in still picture's, a PCE version would look pretty nice compared to the MD version. After that, a PCE version would have to attempt some fake paralax to match the MD in that respect. Most of the paralax is horizontal IIRC, so that helps, plus, even when there is vertical paralax, I believe it's ONLY vertical with no hori involved. Atleast, that's according to my limited understanding on paralax on the PCE. The SGX has 2 bg layer's IIRC, so the paralax was no problem in that version.

A good comparison to see what the PCE can do, is to compare Forgotten Worlds. It's pretty dang accurate to the arcade from what I remember. Sadly, it's only 1 player, & lack paralax, but.....it still looks incredible compared to the MD version.

Well I'm no TG-16 expert, but I always looked at the TG as being better than the Sega Master System, but not quite up to the Genesis.

But as well, this IS for the SUperGrafx (something I just learned about) and not the Stock TG16, which I'm sure could not have done GNG this well.

Well I'm no TG-16 expert, but I always looked at the TG as being better than the Sega Master System, but not quite up to the Genesis.

Allow me to correct your vision:

there's a start

If we start belting out the cd games as well like Gate of Thunder / Lords of Thunder, you'll quickly see that you've been mistaken all this time.

You should get one! :)

Some games that were on both systems are better on TG, like Cadash.

I don't know if Cadash is the best example. The Genesis version looks more like the arcade version, which some will consider superior. The Turbo version is a bit more cartoony looking, & honestly could've looked alot better imo, but I'm not a coder like you.

Who cares about that, the Genesis one is missing two characters (including the Preistess that I like using).

the shading difference is a bit of a preference. They could have shaded it the exact same. I think it looks better this way, honestly.

You want more comparisons, look at Exile.

and Popful Mail!

then there are games like Sidearms, R Type, the soldier games, and more, that show how the PCE is able to compare to the Genesis

Hell, Lords of Thunder was on both systems, and looks worse on Genesis.

Edited by Arkhan

Look at Ys III - Better in every way on the Genesis (minus the CD soundtrack and cutscenes). ;)

Anyway.. I really wonder how Ghouls 'n Ghosts would have turned out on the Genesis had it been released a few years later. Maybe it would have had greater detail? Likewise with Strider--had it been done a couple of years later, maybe the animations would have been more intact? All in all, still great ports for the time and still a lot of fun to play today. Late Genesis titles show the system was capable of more than what we got with those early titles and ports though.

I like the gfx better in the Turbo Cadash as well, but I still think it could come down to personal preferance in general, as I'm sure some would want it to be a 1:1 port more or less, of the arcade version.

I do remember someone doing a side by side comparison of the 3 console Ys 3's, & the Turbo one ended up having alot more detail & color then I remember it having, though, it's no Legend of Xanadu, that's for sure!

Yeah, probably GnG could've been better later in the MD's lifecycle, same goes for Strider & Forgotten Worlds, as they continued to learn how to program for it.

Yeah, probably GnG could've been better later in the MD's lifecycle, same goes for Strider & Forgotten Worlds, as they continued to learn how to program for it.

Strider was the first 8MBit cartridge for the Mega Drive and its graphics blew away everything available at the time, except maybe Super Shinobi.

Look at Ys III - Better in every way on the Genesis (minus the CD soundtrack and cutscenes). ;)

The colors on PCE are better, because the Genesis is well, the Genesis.. You're confusing "better parallax" with "better in every way". lol. That's the one spot it really kills the PCE. The parallax on the PCE one is all goony.

The controls on the Genesis are kinda clunky at times, too.