IGNORED

Timex Sinclair 1000 With a ZXpand = AWSOME!

So, I'm An old time computer geek. I love maxing out 8bits. I have posted my reviews and memories of using a Coleco Adam for fun and for running a small buisness that I ran in the late 80's, I recently posted a moment of joy as I got my beloved TRS-80 Model IV on the "Net" using a slave laptop to link her up. and even posting a post or two to the near dead USENET.

As my name suggests I also love tinkering with the primitve Spectravideo Compumate and I am working on a compilation Audio CD with a bunch of games and "apps" that will make your Compumate go.

BUT

Today I want to talk about a old friend. The Timex Sinclair 1000 (aka ZX-81), I have has a TS-1000 since 1985 when I got one out of a mail order catolog for 19.99. Its a VERY primative computer to say the least, 2K ram stock. 16K with ram pack. Mine has a thermal printer, and a radio shack cassette deck for loading programs. I've used it on and mostly off for many years. Its a toy, a game if you will. I'll load it up, and try and get it to do something usefull jamming every bit of the 16K to play a game or try to build a BBS (my holy grail for a ZX81).

Anyway I was surfing the net, and found A device called ZXpand. I read about it, and decided to buy one to play with. HOLY COW!

This thing is freaking great! Its a 32K ram pack. its a multi brand Hi-res board, and the best part, its a "Hard Drive" it has a SD card slot, and I loaded all my self made programs as well as a FTP of every Timex game made onto it. Now Ditch the tape deck and ram pack wobble and you have "SUPER Timex"

I can load any game made quickly, and without worry of a bad load. Same with saves. As anyone who has messed with the timex 1000 knows you'd better save every program 3 times to get a good save on tape. Well problem solved! this thing rocks. I'm currently trying to figure out a way to create the worlds only timex sincliar 1000 BBS using the ZXpander by maxing out the programming in 32K and using some sort of load and save for files and messages on the SD card. I'll let you know how It works out.

I'm also working on muti-load text advetures, and a "Choose your own adventure" type game. these are only possible using this new device.

I'm in no way affiliated to ZXpand, and I don't care if anyone buys one, but This thing is great. I keep thinking What if? If the timex sinclair had had a set up like this, I would never have bought my ADAM, or my TRS-80 or my C64. I'd have kept using my 1000 until the PC hit the big time.

I think there is a version of 81 Emulator that has zxpand built in. check it out. and please share your old zx81/timex 1000 stories with me!

Also if anyone has a serial port adaptor for the timex 1000 and wants to sell, let me know! I need one for my BBS project.

/s

I think there is a version of 81 Emulator that has zxpand built in. check it out. and please share your old zx81/timex 1000 stories with me!

Cool! I almost bought one of these, but just couldn't justify the expense, since I don't even have enough time anymore to mess with a lot of the other computers and such that I have. But I'd like to check it out in an emulator. What emulator specifically are you talking about here? I tried searching, but didn't see anything that looked like what you might be talking about.

Did you get the sound module?

Oh, I remember another reason I shied from buying the ZXpand. I got out my 1000s and had 2 issues. First, I couldn't see using that keyboard for more than a few minutes, and 2 out of the 3 1000's I have, have horrible video issues. To the point of being unusable. The third one was acceptable.

I remember when I had my Vic-20 in about '82 maybe, a rich friend of mine got a new TS1000 and invited me over to see it. I'd seen the ads, so I was intrigued (that was one of the awesome things about back then... so many totally different machines to mess with and learn about!). I knew his parents had a lot of money, huge new house and such, so I figured it must be awesome. I walked in, saw the setup over in the corner and was blown away by how small it was. I didn't realize from the ads. He had the printer, a tape player, all hooked up to it's own TV (unheard of to me at the time, I was using the family TV when I could). Later, they got a full-stroke keyboard for it. Ah, memories.

I had a TS1000 BITD. One of the few applications I recall playing was some sort of flight simulator. Not a subLOGIC or Microsoft version I don't think.. But something else. I mostly had the "console" for completion of a collection, or an attempt at completion. After having learned BBS'ing and warez on the Apple 2 series I couldn't really get much into anything else besides the 400/800 and C64.

The Emulator is called Eighty One. The version is X I think you have to install version 1.0a and then download and use the icon for the update. Its really a great timex emulator with tons of options. I use it to program games, and then transfer the programs over to the zxpand via a SD card.

As for timex keyboard issues. I know what you mean. I have collected about 12 working and not working units over the years to tinker with, and here are some tips to hep repair your keyboard.

A lot of times, the keyboard ribbon cables crack. If the crack isn't to far up the ribbon you can use a razor or sharp sissors to trim the ends back to that point. It makes it harder to put the computer back together but I've fixed 4 of them that way.

If the unit is dead, 9 times out of 10 its a bad ULA chip so if you have some spare zx or timexs to play with swap that chip out and your good to go.

They also make replacement keyboards now, I think the guy that sells the zxpand has them or can get them.

I was lucky enough to find a large lot of timex stuff years ago on flea bay that included a homemade unit with a full size, but unmarked keyboard, and the Best Keyboard of all time The Suntronics full size keyboard. Thats the one that looks like a Breadbox C64 case but a little shorter and black with gray keys. It comes with all the marks on the keys.

If your into timex sinclair 1000 computer as I am, its the holy grail of key board solutions. but its $$

I did not get the optional sound board when I got my Zxpand It wasn't avalible yet, and I didn't really feel I would use it much. The joystick port sounds cool though...

Good luck playing with the emulator, maybe it will spark some interest in fixing up you units!

/s

Cool, I'll look that up, thanks.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with the keyboard, it's just a crappy keyboard to actually try to use. Especially for adult-sized hands.

About 5 years ago I was trying to clear out space and gave away about a half dozen 1000's and 4 or 5 16k packs. Just kept the one, then adopted 2 others along the way. Maybe I'm better off with an emulator anyway, due to the keyboard (and $)!

The only place I can find EightyOne is here:

http://www.aptanet.org/eightyone/

I can't find any mention of a version "X" or an update or anything like that. 1.0a is years old and I think this update or add-on that you're talking about must be necessary for Zxpand emulation. Any chance you have links to whatever it is that's necessary? My Google-Fu seems to be failing me today :( (Thanks!)

Thanks for the great comments about the ZXpand - it has proved really popular, especially with all the new software being released for the ZX81 recently - even the Mojon Twins (best known for good quality ZX Spectrum games) have started releasing games.

The ZXpand-AY module is starting to be used more for production of music on the ZX81 / TS 1000 and includes its own joystick port - SirMorris (the designer of the ZXpand) has also patched various games to use the joystick.

The latest news is that SirMorris has developed a small board which will plug into the ZXpand-AY and allow you to connect a mouse through the joystick port.

And yes, we have them both in stock, and also supply the keyboard membranes as well as other things!