IGNORED

Burn Rubber & Side Trak PRE-ORDER!

retroillucid

The green came with the artwork cover box and the box protector, very nice presentation. Also you can see the carefully applied gold foil 30th Anniversary label.

looks like I can have one too if I pay $2000 to Relik. ;)

It's on sale for a few more hours at the discount price of $1750! :ponder:

Good ol' Relik... :ponder:

on my side traks ... someone forgot to put the instruction manual in one of them, so im missing one... and one of the boxes is coming completely unglued on one whole side, and the other box is starting to also. and one of the cart labels was put on to far to one side and the whole top part of the label wasnt even sticking on the cart.

Yeah, J-F needs to find a new glue for his boxes. At least three other carts boxes (zippy race, smurf challenge and I forgot the other) have all come unglued.

on my side traks ... someone forgot to put the instruction manual in one of them, so im missing one... and one of the boxes is coming completely unglued on one whole side, and the other box is starting to also. and one of the cart labels was put on to far to one side and the whole top part of the label wasnt even sticking on the cart.

Yeah, J-F needs to find a new glue for his boxes. At least three other carts boxes (zippy race, smurf challenge and I forgot the other) have all come unglued.

yeah, we cant be getting these expensive homebrews and accepting this quality of the product. and reglueing and relabeling the stuff ourselves. i need a manual and quite frankly i need 1 cart label for side trak, and heck... he should ship me some glue for 2 of my boxes

Ok, First I was out of town for 2 days, I've been in Abitibi, in a camp wich there was not electricity most of time

So, I could not access to internet for almost 3 days

Before I leave to ADAMCon this weekend, I think I had like 25 messages to awnser

Even good ol friends did not get awnser to their messages (You know who you are)

Then, I came back yesterday and was tired of of car ride of 10 hours

When I woke up today, I checked atariage over my ipod

Man, this is almost anarchy here! WTF !?

Some guys are complaining and they did not even get me the chance to explain or give my though

Ok, look like I made a little mistake with the rom of Side Trak .... ok I'm guilty as hell

But why are some people are getting so upset when I WILL TAKE THE HIT!

That's my mistake, so ok, I can deal with that

So if you want a cart replacement (with label) ... send back the PCB to Toby

Otherwise, you can keep the actual rom version, that's no big deal in the end

As for cart label peeling off, then... its funny because phboland did an extremely great job on those labels and nobody before complain ot his labels

Box taking apart ''because of the ''cheap'' glue''

Now, I know our old boxes , the one with tick cardboard did that, I remember because that's mainly why I now use thinner cardoard

I use Elmer glue, and its an awesome glue if you ask me

I know the last weeks were HOT here in Quebec and there was ALOT of humidity here .... so maybe this could explain why there's some boxes taking apart.... ?

On top of that, there's some wrong extension cable that were sent .... damn....

So, I'm sorry, I appologize If someone feel pissed

What else to say except I do my very best to keep everyone happy

Sincerely

J-F

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 1

I figured it was time i add my 2 cents to the rom issue. Yes, i was able to confirm the ROM on the cart is 1 version behind. This is actually good news, where the only change in the true final ROM was the 2nd players train is green on the stage clear bonus screen. all game logic as in the final rom are in the rom on everyone's carts! Trust me i would not want a wrong rom either, especially that this is my first homebrew cart and always dreamed of this moment! the other way i can prove this, is if you recall from my youTube videos, i ALWAYS put a build number on the title screen on all builds, only the last 2 roms did not get this because i thought they where the final release ROMS! they did include build numbers in the file name but at least this will also show there is no need to worry other then you will have a yellow train on the stage clear on 2nd player.

I will say all considering i'm grateful that mostly everyone seemed to keep a positive mind on this issue and thanks again for all the support with the game!

Not to mention for those with carts, count yourselves lucky, for some crazy reason i still did not get my copies and i wrote the darn game :)

Take care,

Russ

• Like 1

First of all, its not anarchy when multiple people receive items that are not working correctly or unglued or label peeling due to it being put on crooked and one of my boxes was cut wrong and put together badly on the corner.. which was the same with my Bomb n Blast. People paid lots of money for this stuff... the quality doesnt match the price. You havent addressed the fact that im missing a manual for Side Trak. So im confused as to what to do now, ( I have to pay more money now and ship my cartridge back to toby?) and wait another 2 months... for shipping there then waiting to get it back...or can he just ship a new pcb and label? I shouldnt have to pay a cent more since i paid for what was advertised and DID NOT get that i paid for... I didnt ask and pay for undone boxes and crooked peeling labels and a missing manual and a unfinished Side Trak. I think people are kinda getting used to and accepting this quality. Perhaps your in over your head with all the publishing and need to reconsider? Sorry for this but someone needs to say something

Maybe you should consider quitting homebrew publishing. I plan to release a cart only game later this year, and there are a lot of people that make boxes.

You could concentrate on your book and your Coleco Industries Collection.

I've been reading the criticism here and sure there may be some issues worth improving. But homebrew publishers don't grow on trees. J-F is making a huge contribution to the scene by spending time and money on this. I hope the issues can be resolved because with lack of quality the interest drops, but asking him to consider quitting publishing is just ridiculous. We (dvik&joyrex) have released several cartridges now (most of them by J-F) but without someone actually willing to produce and distribute the carts they wouldn't have been released or probably not made at all. Big thumbs up for your efforts J-F!

Edited by dvik
  • Like 7

As much as I care about ColecoVision Homebrew scene but also about quality of homebrew project and publishing

i just can't stand about all this, this out of me actually

If people want me to quit the scene, just ask and I will

I always do my best even if there's some people that don't like our things, foes us

i mean, IE , in the past I bough a TV made by Samsung and did not like the quality ... i never bough Samsung anymore, I stick with Toshiba wich is more reliable imo

What I mean is, if you don't like us, why don't you stay away from our things, It's the best for you in the end....

Sincerely

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 1

I've been reading the criticism here and sure there may be some issues worth improving. But homebrew publishers don't grow on trees. J-F is making a huge contribution to the scene by spending time and money on this. I hope the issues can be resolved because with lack of quality the interest drops, but asking him to consider quitting publishing is just ridiculous. We (dvik&joyrex) have released several cartridges now (most of them by J-F) but without someone actually willing to produce and distribute the carts they wouldn't have been released or probably not made at all. Big thumbs up for your efforts J-F!

Agreed!

• Like 1

I figured it was time i add my 2 cents to the rom issue. Yes, i was able to confirm the ROM on the cart is 1 version behind. This is actually good news, where the only change in the true final ROM was the 2nd players train is green on the stage clear bonus screen. all game logic as in the final rom are in the rom on everyone's carts! Trust me i would not want a wrong rom either, especially that this is my first homebrew cart and always dreamed of this moment! the other way i can prove this, is if you recall from my youTube videos, i ALWAYS put a build number on the title screen on all builds, only the last 2 roms did not get this because i thought they where the final release ROMS! they did include build numbers in the file name but at least this will also show there is no need to worry other then you will have a yellow train on the stage clear on 2nd player.

I will say all considering i'm grateful that mostly everyone seemed to keep a positive mind on this issue and thanks again for all the support with the game!

Not to mention for those with carts, count yourselves lucky, for some crazy reason i still did not get my copies and i wrote the darn game :)

Take care,

Russ

Well, it's a big relief that the two ROM versions are virtually the same.

So what will happen about my manual that i didnt receive and getting the correct games? Im still not getting answers

You obviously don't have to pay for the missing manual

as for the PCB, if you don't want to pay for sending off the pcb to Toby, then I will

If people don't want to pay for sending us the PCB, then we will pay ..I just don't want anymore people upset

So what will happen about my manual that i didnt receive and getting the correct games? Im still not getting answers

You obviously don't have to pay for the missing manual

as for the PCB, if you don't want to pay for sending off the pcb to Toby, then I will

If people don't want to pay for sending us the PCB, then we will pay ..I just don't want anymore people upset

J-F, I sent you and Toby a PM, which has a couple of ideas in it.

Perfectly said.........I'm sure J-F will make everything right..........We all need to thank him for all his hard work and contribution to the Colecovision community

• Like 3

How did the coder(s) do such smooth scrolling on the coleco?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

It may not much like much to scroll a near full screen, but with the level of smoothness is mind blowing stuff on the coleco! any chance they will share how it was done? Must admit, video of this game is really cool and should have been available a while back to show how cool this game looks and plays!

Russ

Russ

I guess here, he used preshifted tiles. It is why ,i think , the graphics variety is poor, it is the price to pay using this method.

Indeed. The rom contains around 6900 different tiles (uses about 13kB of the 32kB rom). Every other frame 108 tiles are moved from rom to vram and then the bgmap is updated. the other frame is used for the game play and physics engine. On a 60Hz coleco, every 6th frame is used to update status bar and other lower frequency tasks like checking if the car drives backwards. On a 50Hz coleco, this is spread out over every frame. This gives a frame rate of 25fps on both. The background in the game is built up of blocks of 8x8 characters and the map itself contains 16x16 of these blocks.

The most complicated parts of the game is actually not the scrolling. Making a real physics engine for four cars that can execute at around 20% of the cpu was the hardest part and took a couple of months by itself. Another surprisingly challenging part was to support two steering wheels, partly because they share a single interrupt.

If people are interested I can try to make a more detailed description of how the game works. Its by far the toughest game/demo we've made. It took several thousand hours to make (if you include tools and components we brought in from earlier productions). Some I think could be pretty interesting for other developers.

Sorry i didnt notice your reply till now. amazing info! that is alot of work indeed! I have spent alot of time thinking how to pull off smooth scrolling and your concept did pop into my mind a few times but the time needed to create all the possible tile combinations was what killed it for me. great to see you pulled though to show it's possible!!!! I keep hoping that someday someone will find a way to glitch the system to offset the screen a pixel at a time to handle scrolling like on the c64, where you can poke a certain value and the screen will scroll upto 7 pixel right or right, then just push the screen tiles 1 column over on the 7th pixel shift and reset to the 1st pixel shift. Where you successful in getting your 105 color demo from MSX to work on coleco? that was some cooooool stuff on your youtube channel!!!

Take care

Russ

J-F consider quitting homebrew publishing THAT MUST BE A JOKE, J-F is the BEST !!

Well i guess i could add my word too....

I've been working with J-F for couple of months now and i can CERTIFY that J-F is an AWESOME guy to work with and he will do everything he can to fix any problem. Like most of you, J-F has a family and family comes first!

EVERY SECOND he has to himself, he's working for the home brew community... We should all be proud of him! No one gives more time than him as a homebrewer. In the last 3 weeks, we were able to ship over 100 orders!!

And I'm still taking orders today. Guys who complain the most are always the same ones. All they want is to get free stuff so they don't have to spend their money and help the homebrew community. Same for the people who offer me money just to get their order out before the rest of the people.

As for AtariBrian you received 3 Games, is it really a big deal to wait for 1 manual? All this should have been said in PM's. Considering the amount of orders that were shipped, I really think we did good. Anyone who has something to say, please contact me or J-F. I'm very happy about what Russ said about Sidetrack. As J-F said, everyone who really wants the new rom installed, you just have to send the PCB back to me and we will refund you the $3 shipping. We will send you a new PCB with the new rom along with a new sticker. Please note that we WON'T send any PCB before we receive the wrong one.

I realize that people don't know me very, well but I'm planning on helping J-F for a very long time, even if I do have a family myself, I do have a little bit more time than he does.

You should all realize that J-F is not a Store with 100 employees, but one man who's doing his best to keep the Coleco ALIVE!

Now he has me and I will help him as much as I can to keep everybody happy.

I really hope that everyone of you who received some new games in the past few days enjoys them as well as the Arcade Controller. All I can say now is:

J-F PLEASE don't pay attention to the nasty comments and continue your good work

PS...I'm with you as well as many others ;)

• Like 5