IGNORED

Motivated pixel artist + game designer ?

obschan

Hello to every Lynx fanatics,

Is there a good game designer, pixel artist ready to invest some(a lot ...) time in a homebrew project ?

I am a hobby developer but have sadly no design skill and knowledge.

I have a beginning of a raycasting engine which needs contents.

I attach the current dev. status(game.zip) so you can figure out if you'd like and are ready to enroll.

If you do please PM me.

Even if you don't feel like an artist's soul, any ideas, suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

• Like 8

Most of the time it's the other way around :) lots of ideas but no programming skills.

I've yet to try that raycasting engine.

If I where you, I would try to finish the engine and make a level creation (I always wanted to make that but I first must have an appropriate game :)) tool in visual basic (well, something easy) to let other people create levels.

Hello there! I'm an amateur game designer with lots of ideas and dreams, and a bit of experience making my own games and levels. I also still play the original Doom a lot, I'm a bit of a retro gamer and love working with limitations, and have always wanted to make a simplistic first person shooter. Is this the kind of game you'd like to make? Or perhaps you're more interested in some sort of 3D RPG dungeon-crawler? In any case, I'm very interested in helping out! My friend is a pixel artist who specializes in low-res, 12bit 16 colour artwork and would love to help out too. I'm just speaking for him for now since he hasn't signed up on the forum yet but intends to. We both have Lynxes and a Flashcart should be arriving any day now so we can test the game on real hardware.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, that keeps motivated to get positive feedbacks from great Lynx actors.

Could somebody have a try on real hardware ?

This is a cc65 2.13.9 output with a 512K memory scheme.

Strangely I can not have it working on my Lynx I. But getting the same behavior with sage's slideshow so I am wondering it may be my Lynx.

I´m trying it out on the flashcart now. Will edit more in later.

EDIT This is strange. I tried it on the PSP Handy emulator yesterday and it worked very fine there. As expected like a one-room Wolfy. Running. shooting , strafing, the ghost enemy, very fine. Plays like Wolfy or the Lucien Klijkers 3D demo BUT with opponent to hunt. No doors to open and nothing to collect I think, 1 room only.

Uploading to FC went from scratch with the 512 kb setting like you said - but I´m stuck in front of a wall with my nose and can walk/strafe only sidewards. I cannot move front or back. It´s as if there were no floors there and my nose was nailed to the wall.

Do I make sense? :(

Looking forward to seeing this developed :thumbsup: I like the colorful color scheme.

Edited by Atari_afternoon

Finally got around to testing the game on the Lynxman Flashcart and Lynx II hardware. I also experience weird behavior in the 3D part of the screen. It is as if the graphics get torn into vertical stripes with small blinking squares in the very back. This way it seems as if you cannot walk, but I think that it is just the rendering going haywire.

The game keeps running for a long time and doesn't crash or stop working. You can see the "head-bobbing" of the gun when walking and the graphics do change.

Have you seen this as well, or do you want me to post a picture or movie of the real Lynx?

• Like 1

graphics get torn into vertical stripes with small blinking squares in the very back. This way it seems as if you cannot walk, but I think that it is just the rendering going haywire.

The game keeps running for a long time and doesn't crash or stop working. You can see the "head-bobbing" of the gun when walking

This is a good description. The gun is there all the time and it moves while "walking", my nose just can never seem to leave the wall and true, it does not crash. Only the 3D part looks weird this way. You see nothing where you go :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...