IGNORED

Best A8 emulator for Windows

Yautja

Atari800win plus has a very good savestate support, Altirra has better support for full screen resoultions .

Theyre booth good in their own way.

Altirra is the newest emulator and it has VBXE support as far as i know.

Compability for games and demos and programs are good on both, but some rare occasion a particular game or program or demo will only

run on one of the emulators.

Altirra? Atari800? Atari800Win PLus? other? Which one is the best for you? Why?

- Y -

...My gold-standard of emulation (as a general reference) is MAME, specially because of its core design philosophy. It is one of the finest (and most inherently complex) pieces of code you will find around.

In that context, from all the emulators that I have found and used (so far) for A8bit-code, Altirra comes closest to what MAME also seeks, which is, placing heavy emphasis on true-to-live emulation, as well as co-existence with its host-environment (e.g. Windows, etc.)

All-in-all, byte-for-byte, I believe that Altirra takes the crown (per the above criteria, that is). Today's progress on Altirra seems more-and-more measured on the reproduction of HW-glitches/bugs, instead of actually running things smoothly... It is well on its way to (possibly) become the ultimate A8bit-emulator to use/have, at least for Windows... until the Scroll-bug is fully supported/emulated... ;-)

Altirra.

Lots of features and a good emulation. I especially like it's ability to paste text straight into the edit window. I can write BASIC/Assm programs in my Windows text editor than paste them into Altirra. Nice.

It also emulates, ever so slightly, more programs than A800 or A800win.

Altirra.

Lots of features and a good emulation. I especially like it's ability to paste text straight into the edit window. I can write BASIC/Assm programs in my Windows text editor than paste them into Altirra. Nice.

:-o :-o :-o

Altirra has first spot based upon accuracy, ease of use and support with A800 a very close second, Atari800win has started to lag a little but the new person in charge has recently been working on it but stopped for a bit for real life events.

Altirra.

Yep you can do this on atari800MacX as well. Both ways in fact.

[quote name=Sub(Function(:))' timestamp='1333141658' post='2492771]

Altirra.

Yep you can do this on atari800MacX as well. Both ways in fact.

You can copy the screen to clipboard with Altirra too. Pair it with listing to the print panel of Altirra and it's sorta like the atari800macx.

The only down side (is the writer of Altirra listening ??? :-D ) If you have a very long line or an error, sometimes, part of the line will get lost. usually the line number of the next line. I just make sure I keep the lines a reasonable length and check for errors before merging and I have no problems.

This little feature came in real handy when I translated a multi-part program I had written in TI-99 BASIC to OSS XL BASIC.

I did a list to file on the TI-99 emulator then first made global changes on the text file. Then I modified the lines that accessed the data files and strings (some what big difference between the two) and checked for errors. Did a cut and paste (alt+shift+V on Altirra) the file into the Altirra, made some more fixes and ran it. cut down my programming time by maybe as much as 3/4.

I have also experimented with cut paste files from .PDFs books and other sources with mixed results. It usually depended on how the original was scanned in.

Cut and pasting programs from blogs and forums, though, usually work about 100%. Those are usually straight text.

Very handy.

For me, Altirra is probably the best overall Atari 800 emulator available right now (on Windows).

But, I'm still going back to Atari800Win PLus because it has subdirectory paths support for the H: drive and its "Full Speed" feature runs much faster than Altirra.

Debugging - Altirra by light years.

Strange, because of debugging I'm still returning to A800Win ;)

But surely Altirra has more debugging options, it's just the "ergonomy" which is awkward to me so it's way easier for me to debug something in A800Win. I just like in A800Win that you just enter the debugger and type d 2000 to disassemble code and just hit return co continue with disassembling. The same with memory listing m 3000 and return to continue too. Dlist is listed in condensed format (ie not 200 times a row with mode E information). It's just missing in Altirra debugger or I didn't find it. You have to switch to different windows if you want to disassemble, view memory, then return to command line box etc. and it's not even sufficient to switch with Alt+number, you have to click with mouse to "input box" to enter the address f.e.

Edited by MaPa

Yes, for commands it's probably easier in A800Win+

But Altirra has the advanced tracing and breakpoints plus the seperate windows for memory, disassembly etc so you find you're not always entering commands.

And the single-step is easy and fast to use.

So, in the true sense, ie finding and eliminating bugs, it stands alone.