IGNORED

Jaguar repair?

Rhiannon

I recently bought a jaguar a few weeks ago online and sadly it doesn't work. Tried cleaning it with alcohol, used different games, wiggled it around ect. Still nothing. Not sure what it wrong with it. I tried taking it apart to see what was wrong with it. I've never done that with any game console before, and wasn't very successful. I couldn't get past the cage to the internal parts. But I did notice that once i opened it, it smelled very weird like it may have been fried or something. But then again, i don't know. I would love to get it fixed, or have it at least looked at by someone. I would even do a trade and buy a working console if someone was selling and fixing. If any one could help me, or give me suggestions that would be great. I would love to play this jaguar! Thank you so much!

• Like 1

It's too bad you couldn't get to the caps Rhiannon. Because Crystall really could fix it. Shes done that stuff before. If you ask her she would probably be willing to try.

Yep Best is a great place to deal with and prices are damn good. They also rebuild w/e you send into them as well.

Edited by Coolhand20th
  • Like 1

I tried taking it apart to see what was wrong with it. I've never done that with any game console before, and wasn't very successful. I couldn't get past the cage to the internal parts. But I did notice that once i opened it, it smelled very weird like it may have been fried or something.

I am sure there are people here who can tell you or point to a web page that descibes how to take the Jaguar apart, searching the hardware forum might help as the dead Jaguar question comes up a lot. If you wanted to try and fix it yourself you will need to be reasonably competant with a soldering iron otherwise you could do more harm than good and preferably know how to use a DVM (aka multimter/voltmeter) although you could be taken through that.

As for it smelling "weird" that probably indicates a problem but unless you are used to such smells (cooked reisistors, inductors, capacitors and semiconductors all smell differently) how do you know that is not how a Jag normally smells?

Nothing happens at all. No red power light, no sound and nothing on the tv screen. It's like its completely dead. Thank you guys for the suggestions though! Its very much appreciated! :)

If you were to try and fix it yourself the three most likely reasons for your problem are...

1) Someone has used the wrong power unit and blown the volatage regulator chip - this seems to be the most common reason for a Jaguar not powering up with a cartridge inserted.

2) The power unit itself is dead (always a good place to start). It should measure around 12-15V DC when not connected to the Jag.

3) The on/off switch is fautly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

sounds like it has had an incorrect power supply plugged into it, this burns one of the components. you can still get these today and i have repaired several jaguars with this particular problem. i think i still have a few spare components here