IGNORED

Sweet NIB 7800 lot with Mean 18, Ninja Golf & More (not mine)

Shawn

I don't know, I haven't seen this kind of foolish bidding on 7800 stuff ever. It also rarely happens on the 2600 or 5200. Now NES and SNES is a whole different story. In any event, not only did this guy overpay, but he has listed the three games he didn't need before he even has them in hand. Unbelievable.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2209918214431?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=220991821443&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

When I posted this it was only at like $40 bucks. $170+ is just stupid.

Welcome to classic gaming today. Not surpriesed in the least.

I guess his son must be really into sealed games...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/195859-wtb-cart-only-52007800-games/page__p__2491143?do=findComment&comment=2491143

I hope nobody gave this guy a deal as it appears his story about just wanting to relive his childhood and share with his son was BS,

the guy that won them and that is now selling them without having them....is a member here

http://www.atariage....32288-bwestdpm/

Hey guys...read these and thought I better clear any misunderstanding.....nooo it's not BS at all. My son is loving the 2600, coleco, and 5200/7800. I am really not a serious collector at all. I've bought a bunch of loose games for each system here and on ebay/amazon so we can play them without "worrying" about ruining their value. I really wanted Mean 18 and Winter games as those were the two my dad and I played a ton back in the day so they meant a lot to me. Since they were sealed I figured I will keep them as an investment. Since I don't "collect" and those are the only 2 I really wanted, I listed the others...forgot Hat Trick so I added it today but had to make a new auction as someone already has a bid in on the 3...to offset the cost. I couldn't even find a "loose"copy of mean 18 here, ebay, or amazon. I don't have $200 to invest on 6 games so I need to sell the others asap to balance the books, which is why I listed so quick. If all goes well I will get back some money minus the cost of those 2. The seller and I have been communicating and he seems like a great reputable guy. I should have them by tomorrow or Wed at the latest so I saw no harm in listing a 5 day auction. I'm just dabbling a bit...I've thought about getting a prototype or two for the 2600...but I assure you I am not misleading anyone. My main intention is starting the memories with my son like I had with my dad and friends at his age. Maybe it's a mid life crisis lol but I'm not "misleading" anyone on here, or on ebay. I have perfect feedback over there and have been a member there for 4 years. I love Atari and am just getting back into it...just thought it would be cool to have a few collectables that had some meaning to me.

Well, as all of us have pointed out, you overpaid significantly for what you got and to me at least, it makes no sense that your goal all along was just to play the games and now you're apparently holding onto Mean 18 as an investment sealed. While that part of it is interesting and frankly your business and not ours, (other than the fact that it's interesting to know that it wasn't an experienced collector who bid too much, but somebody who just didn't know the value and therefore an anomaly), the real issue for me is that you are listing things for sale which you don't even have yet. What if the items show up to you damaged or not at all? I just don't think it's ethical for a seller to list items that they don't even have in hand yet and if you don't have $200 to spend on games, maybe you should consider that before you bid and not after.

Hey guys...read these and thought I better clear any misunderstanding.....nooo it's not BS at all. My son is loving the 2600, coleco, and 5200/7800. I am really not a serious collector at all. I've bought a bunch of loose games for each system here and on ebay/amazon so we can play them without "worrying" about ruining their value. I really wanted Mean 18 and Winter games as those were the two my dad and I played a ton back in the day so they meant a lot to me. Since they were sealed I figured I will keep them as an investment. Since I don't "collect" and those are the only 2 I really wanted, I listed the others...forgot Hat Trick so I added it today but had to make a new auction as someone already has a bid in on the 3...to offset the cost. I couldn't even find a "loose"copy of mean 18 here, ebay, or amazon. I don't have $200 to invest on 6 games so I need to sell the others asap to balance the books, which is why I listed so quick. If all goes well I will get back some money minus the cost of those 2. The seller and I have been communicating and he seems like a great reputable guy. I should have them by tomorrow or Wed at the latest so I saw no harm in listing a 5 day auction. I'm just dabbling a bit...I've thought about getting a prototype or two for the 2600...but I assure you I am not misleading anyone. My main intention is starting the memories with my son like I had with my dad and friends at his age. Maybe it's a mid life crisis lol but I'm not "misleading" anyone on here, or on ebay. I have perfect feedback over there and have been a member there for 4 years. I love Atari and am just getting back into it...just thought it would be cool to have a few collectables that had some meaning to me.

Hmm....I do see your point and I agree. I've never done it before and I'm sure I won't again. I think I just got really excited seeing those 2. Um yes definitely true, I looked around a little bit online and emailed a couple people...but I certainly am no expert in pricing...I guess I figured $100 for the WG and M18 was fair...and the others if I could sell them for $20 each I could pretty much balance out around $100.

I thought about that regarding what if they show up damaged, etc. For one thing I would never sell anything that was not as described...I hope my 100% feedback speaks to that effect. I'd never do that to someone as I would not want it done to me. The 5 days gives me time to inspect them before it ends and anyone pays. Worse case scenario, I would certainly end the auction and post items damaged/not as desrcibed as the reason. That is not fair to the bidders....I do agree...like I said, I don't plan on doing anything like this again....probably not a wise impulse purchase.

What if you get bids on your auction and it ends and you still haven't received the games or it does end up lost in mail?

The winning bidder will not want to hear the auction he/she won is not in the sellers hands

I will definitely definitely definitely will not let it end without having them. I have spoken "emailed" the seller and he seems very reputable great feedback and responds in minutes. He is sending insured and with confirmation. It should have them on Wed and auction does not end until Thurs evening. I will check them out and as long as no seals are broken and nothing is damaged...if it is as described, then great, all should go over well. If it does not show up by Wed, I will end the auction to save anyone from bidding at the end and/or paying...and will post the honest reason and let them know if it does show up I will relist. But if it's lost in the mail, at least it's insured I suppose.

Ugh what a mess, and it's my doing....I thank you guys for pointing it out. I think I got caught up in the moment. It's not like I will literally bounce the books, but it would be nice to sell the ones I have no sentimental attachment too whatsoever. I obviously should have waited until I had them for sure....I think calculating out the listing time so they will show up a day or two before it ends, is asking for problems as you guys have pointed out. Normally I am not an idiot I swear lol.

Thanks Golden Axe, I appreciate that...I do get one they are saying though....I think they're main point is just that I listed them without having them yet....I mean knowing my luck they could get lost or damaged. I should have waited until they came in the mail. It's not like I am literally going to bounce the check book...I don't really want all 6 at $200...but I could have waited a few days for them to come. I guess I was comfortable with the seller and confirmation, but still...bad things happen in the mail. I agree with those comments, I just don't want anyone to think I am a fraud or anything. Having a few games that have some meaning to me sealed or in great shape is just something I thought would be kind of neat to keep in the family....aside from just the loose ones that we are playing. One day my grand kids will have those and they might be worth something more....you know? Like I said probably a mid life crisis thing....but I'm certainly not trying to lie to anyone.

Even putting aside the issue of listing what you don't have, the other games aren't worth $20 each. Hat Trick is a $5 game sealed (there are tons of copies in mint sealed shape on Ebay at $10 that never sell) and so is Desert Falcon. For the record, so is Winter Games. The only "valuable" games you have listed are Ace of Aces which might hit $10-$15 mint sealed if you find the right buyer and Ninja Golf which is a $30-$40 game mint sealed. So, you have maybe $65 in games listed and probably less since a group buyer isn't going to pay full retail. Once you figure in the 13% Paypal and Ebay fees, you might clear $40-$50 meaning that you still spent $125 for Mean 18 Golf which is not a good price in any respect.

Hmm....I do see your point and I agree. I've never done it before and I'm sure I won't again. I think I just got really excited seeing those 2. Um yes definitely true, I looked around a little bit online and emailed a couple people...but I certainly am no expert in pricing...I guess I figured $100 for the WG and M18 was fair...and the others if I could sell them for $20 each I could pretty much balance out around $100.

I thought about that regarding what if they show up damaged, etc. For one thing I would never sell anything that was not as described...I hope my 100% feedback speaks to that effect. I'd never do that to someone as I would not want it done to me. The 5 days gives me time to inspect them before it ends and anyone pays. Worse case scenario, I would certainly end the auction and post items damaged/not as desrcibed as the reason. That is not fair to the bidders....I do agree...like I said, I don't plan on doing anything like this again....probably not a wise impulse purchase.

I guess I will have to chalk this up to a lesson learned. Hopefully they will sell around $75 and ease the damages of my lesson. And damn Mean 18 and WG better go up over the next 30 years so someone in my family makes something off it if they decide to sell. Thank you for your advice Bojay...if you don't mind if I get the itch to bid on or sell something, would you mind if I shoot you a pm on here to get your opinion on worth? You seem to have better input than some others I know.

I have no issue with someone buying a lot and reselling part or even all of it. I just had a concern about listing items that the seller didn't have yet. The seller seems willing to work with potential buyers if there is a problem, so no harm no foul I suppose.

Just because someone sells something doesn't make them anti-collector. Not sure why the pitch forks and mob have to come out every time someone lists something they just bought for sale. Second guessing what someone is up to without any facts sn't very nice either.

Edited by bojay1997
  • Like 1

I have no issue with someone buying a lot and reselling part or even all of it. I just had a concern about listing items that the seller didn't have yet. The seller seems willing to work with potential buyers if there is a problem, so no harm no foul I suppose.

Just because someone sells something doesn't make them anti-collector. Not sure why the pitch forks and mob have to come out every time someone lists something they just bought for sale. Second guessing what someone is up to without any facts sn't very nice either.

Nope me either, I just posted the information because someone was going to sooner or later. Personally none of this affects me in the least.

This.

Yeah, I've had the oh S* moment where I paid too much for a lot and listed any dupes from my own collection the moment after winning. Not the case here, but certainly something I've had to do. Learned my lesson about not selling something I don't have my hands on long ago.

Thanks for the understanding, I appreciate it...definitely learned a good lesson here, but hopefully it will go smoothly from here on out. I'm hoping karma will help out and the post office won't screw me my losing or damaging them...since I'm new at this and didn't do anything maliciously, can I catch a break!! LOL please!