IGNORED

Can I bypass the RF modulator?

boxpressed

I just bought my first 99/4A in almost thirty years and want to connect it to my CRT. I'd prefer not to use the bulky RF modulator and use the F-plug connector that I use with most of my other vintage systems. However, I don't know if I have any choice but to use the modulator because the RF out port on the 99/4A is proprietary, not a standard RF phono jack.

Is there a cable available that will let me bypass the modulator in favor of the F-plug? Or, better yet, allow for composite output? Thanks in advance.

Since the location of the thread starter here seems to be in Wisconsin, this will work according to the answers in this thread. But if someone who has a European TI 99/4A reads this, you should know that the video output is different from a PAL console, compared to the NTSC version.

For a European version, you can either route the luminance and color difference signals to a modern flat TV monitor, since they often have this sort of input directly available, or you can modify the RF modulator to get the composite video signal out from there. It's created as an intermediate step in the modulator, before the actual RF modulation occurs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

I just bought a TI-99/4A and know little about the system. Does anyone have a link to the cheapest, most convenient RF cable for it? The one I bought has no cable but looks to be in mint. I'm away from home and it is hard to find info on cables and whatnot on my phone vs. Laptop and would like to get a cable ordered ASAP. Is there an easy to find composite option? I can return it within a month but I bought it 2 hours from where I live so I gotta get my butt on it! Do these things generally work/hold up well?

Thanks in advance! Any help would be appreciated.

31 minutes ago, bretthorror said:

I just bought a TI-99/4A and know little about the system. Does anyone have a link to the cheapest, most convenient RF cable for it? The one I bought has no cable but looks to be in mint. I'm away from home and it is hard to find info on cables and whatnot on my phone vs. Laptop and would like to get a cable ordered ASAP. Is there an easy to find composite option? I can return it within a month but I bought it 2 hours from where I live so I gotta get my butt on it! Do these things generally work/hold up well?

https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/?page_id=11#!/NTSC-composite-video-cable/p/74389896/category=36152016

• Like 2

On 9/21/2019 at 3:27 PM, bretthorror said:

The link to arcadeshopper that Asmusr posted. I got 4 of them last month, arcadeshopper shipped them on short notice. We used them to connect 4As to Commodore 1702 F-type (RCA) jacks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...