IGNORED

New development IDE in the works

Blatant plug here, I am working on a new development IDE for A8 assembly development.

This new IDE will have syntax highlighting, code folding, character editor, sprite editor and possibly a screen editor.

It will have support for virtually all cross assemblers and will be available for OS X and Windows (providing I can reduce the screen flickering issue I am having.)

More details here: http://pengwin.atari...de53622f-3.html

I may also add other features as I think of them :-)

Edited by Pengwin

Thanks Ransom. I've been thinking about the screen editor, and becuase of the countless screen mode we can set up on A8, I may not put it in (at least, not in version 1). But I may do a Display List editor, that can help to 'visualise' the display lists that a user wished to create. Any thoughts?

Visual development for the A8? That would be interesting. And it may become really, really useful when Jon's A8 GUI is released. But for me, for now, it's not terribly important. It would help you differentiate from other tools, though.

aehm. we are living in a free world but why? :) we already have Eclipse and WUDSN IDE?

Simple answer, why not?

It's kind of like a programming exercise, plus a way of giving something back to the community.

• Like 2

I'd use it just to get a better understanding of how to develop the Display List routines. Those always trouble me to the point I lose interest in my projects. And I would like to develop game ideas for both the 5200 and A8s. Cheers! I'll be keeping up with this project.

• 2 weeks later...

Work on this has slowed recently to a recent cold (or 'man flu' as my wife calls it), but I hope to be back on top of things soon. I have managed to hunt out and remove several bugs over the last few days, so that's a good thing :)

I'd use it just to get a better understanding of how to develop the Display List routines. Those always trouble me to the point I lose interest in my projects. And I would like to develop game ideas for both the 5200 and A8s. Cheers! I'll be keeping up with this project.

The Display List editor is the next thing to look at. I've been toying with a lot of ideas in my mind, but I think I have the best approach sorted. I'll let you know when I have something to show you.

Unlike the character sets and sprites, the display list created by the software won't be loaded as a binary file, it will have to be 'translated' to the currently selected source format. As far as I can work out, this is the best way to implement this as certain addresses are not known until build time.

Hope it will have good connection with emulators...

One of the prime requirements I have set is the ability, like WUDSN, to use virtually any assembler and emulator. I will be building in settings for a few, but it will be possible to quite easily add settings for others.

Edited by Pengwin

LoTonah... I am developing under OSX so in meantime why not using Eclipse/WUDSN-IDE plus OSX port of MADS?

and Altirra runs under Wine or you are using AtarMac800

There are also Mac versions of ATASM and XASM available.

Atari800MacX has great debugging facilities too. Not tried Altirra, so I could give a comparison.

Another update: I have almost completed the Display List Editor: http://pengwin.atariage.com/devblog/files/e69ac366f41cb9bc839a479ef8cc423c-5.html

I have not seen one of these before, so I have not been able to use anything as a starting platform for the design of this. Therefore, I am very open to feedback about this feature.

displaylisteditor1.png

• Like 2

Without having tried it - so maybe these exist or don't apply, suggestions:

. Given a DList can get pretty big, maybe have the option to collapse down repeated entries, e.g. big blocks of bitmap lines or even the 23 repeated lines on default text mode (in the same fashion you'd do with Win Explorer)

. Maybe automate part of the process, e.g. select a mode, repeat X times, have the second/third LMS optionally filled in for you (or LMS every line if that's what you want)

Given a DList can get pretty big, maybe have the option to collapse down repeated entries, e.g. big blocks of bitmap lines or even the 23 repeated lines on default text mode (in the same fashion you'd do with Win Explorer)

I like this idea, kind of wish I'd thought of it myself, before I started coding this. I may well change the next version of the Display Editor to have collapsable sections, but for now, I will leave as is as I would now like to get this out the door by the end of next month.

Maybe automate part of the process, e.g. select a mode, repeat X times, have the second/third LMS optionally filled in for you (or LMS every line if that's what you want)

At present, when you add a new line, it defaults to a mode 2 line, but your comment has made me rethink this to intercept with a dialog allowing the user to add whatever mode they want, plus the ability to have the user enter the number of lines, so if you were designing a screen with 10 mode 4 lines, then you could specify this, so they are put in at the same time.

@Rybags: I've had another rethink. I think I will go with the collapsable tree idea. It shouldn't take too much work to implement and it WOULD make it more manageable.

Forget that right now. More work than I thought.

Edited by Pengwin

It would be nice if your IDE would be useful for Basic too.

An IDE based on Turbo Basic XL + compiler, like Visual batariBasic for VCS (http://www.atariage....r-batari-basic/ - scroll the page), would be awesome.

I had already thought of possibly including a BASIC source editor that would LIST out to disk with either ASCII or ATASCII line endings (user selectable). Not sure if it will be in this release, but it is definitely something I am considering.

Furthermore, how about an integrated resource editor for the GUI (once we have the API and resources designed, of course)?

If you can supply me with the API's when they're ready, I don't see why this couldn't happen.

It would be nice if your IDE would be useful for Basic too.

An IDE based on Turbo Basic XL + compiler, like Visual batariBasic for VCS (http://www.atariage....r-batari-basic/ - scroll the page), would be awesome.

I had already thought of possibly including a BASIC source editor that would LIST out to disk with either ASCII or ATASCII line endings (user selectable). Not sure if it will be in this release, but it is definitely something I am considering.

It would be nice to automatically compile and run programs.

Regarding your sprite editor, have you checked this one (ORed color, animation, ASM/C/Basic data export) ?

http://playsoft.co.uk/atari_index.html

Try to be careful not to overlap too much with this project....

http://www.ataritools.fr.gd/ATARITOOLS_800--k1-8_BIT-k2-.htm

Although I LOVE PC based Atari tools, it'd be a shame to see people duplicating their efforts to produce similar features.

I think that yours is more of a programming tool though, and AtariTools is more of a design tool for Ataris.

Try to be careful not to overlap too much with this project....

http://www.ataritool...1-8_BIT-k2-.htm

Although I LOVE PC based Atari tools, it'd be a shame to see people duplicating their efforts to produce similar features.

I think that yours is more of a programming tool though, and AtariTools is more of a design tool for Ataris.

Nice to see that DearHorse is back to work after 5 months.