IGNORED

Wanted: Advice on Dreamcast Replacement Cases

atari2atari

Hi!

I'm looking for some advice on replacement Dreamcast CD cases.

I have seen quite a few on Amazon that look suitable, such as - -

http://www.amazon.com/Memorex-Jewel-Cases-Clear-Tray/dp/B000067VC6/ref=pd_cp_e_2

And here's some "chubby" double CD ones, which I also need

http://www.amazon.com/DOUBLE-THICK-CHUBBY-JEWEL-CD2R24DG/dp/B001JPDK1G/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1333377341&sr=1-1

As those of you who collect Dreamcast know, the original cases have a certain "thickness" and "shine" to them that is hard to imitate. The double CD cases are tricky to find, too.

What have fellow collectors used or who have you bought from? SQUARE DEAL there on Amazon looks ok, but . . . .

The other alternative I have heard is to purchase a lot of some sports title, discard the contents, and use the cases, which I am also considering!

Thanks for any advice!

-a2a

I have used the std single jewel cases from K-Mart. They are clear (no black center like audio cases).

bah

Thanks, bah! Appreciate the input.

I have eyeballed a few sets at Target and Office Depot as well, and was curious what other collectors were using . . .

Anyone else have any favorite vendors or brands?

-a2a

Hmm, this is what I am talking about - -

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3505448666161?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=350544866616&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

That's about a little over a dollar per case (if you take into account shipping) - - not a bad deal to get the real "feel" of the Dreamcast case.

Anyone interested in going in with me . . . ? :)

-a2a

Thanks, Yurkie!

Those don't look too bad - - the only caveat for collectors is that the "regular" CD cases like these have the raised "Compact Disc logo" on the inner tray, and the actual Dreamcast cases never did.

Here's an image grab from Google Images, for example:

post-27961-0-70481800-1333471186_thumb.png

Dreamcast games were GD-Rom discs, so they didn't need/couldn't put the "Compact Disc" on the inner tray!

A minor picky detail, I know, I know! :D

I can re-use some of the inner trays I have from my current Dreamcast discs, but some of the disc-holders are cracked, too, so it's not always an option.

I have also seen generic CD cases WITHOUT the compact disc logo, so the hunt continues . . .

-a2a

Okay, an update, for anyone that is following this!

This company seems to be among the best I have discovered for quality cases - -

http://www.sleevetown.com/cd-case-single.shtml

Not a bad price, either - - looks like I can get 50 crystal clear cases for about $24, plus shipping.

Now, that eBay seller wrote back (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&icep_item=350544866616&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg), and is willing to sell about 50 of those NFL 2k for $50, plus shipping. Only trick is, some of the cases have that NFL hologram sticker on the CASE itself, and some are on the instruction manual. They would peel of the case no problem - - I would hope - - but it's extra work, too.

So, now I have a choice to make . . .

Any thoughts? I am tempted to go with "SleeveTown" - - they look like good audiophiles!

-a2a