IGNORED

Loud Buzzing when 2600 Jr's power adaptor's plugged in

Enig

Every time I plug in my 2600 Jr.'s adaptor into the wall outlet or surge protector strip, it emits a very loud buzzing/droning noise, while the 2600 Jr. is perfectly fine. What could be causing this? It didn't do this a few months ago. :?

Any idea what the problem is, and what can be done to fix it? Also, is it even safe to play the 2600 while it's buzzing?

I googled what causes power adaptors to make noise... This was for a router power adaptor, but the principal is the same...

It's OK and in fact normal for a power adapter to make a low humming noise, and be warm to the touch. If it hums loudly, it could be caused by loose parts, internal defect causing overload, or something in the router causing it to be overloaded (least likely cause). A higher pitch whining noise indicates something oscillating, such as defective voltage regulator circuitry (also rare to actually oscillate and whine).

Loose parts can eventually short, and it is possible for this to damage the router. This isn't all that common, but I would not take chances. Linksys will RMA power adaptors for free without requiring you to send in the old one. If it's out of warranty, they are still cheap.

I have maybe 12 power adaptors under my desk for this or that device -router, switch, hub, modem, speakers, USB hubs, etc. None of them make a noticeable humming noise unless I put my ear close to them. All of them are warm to the touch, but not too hot.

The short of it is that any noise out of the ordinary indicates something wrong and is a good reason to replace the adaptor. It's cheap insurance.

I googled what causes power adaptors to make noise... This was for a router power adaptor, but the principal is the same...

It's OK and in fact normal for a power adapter to make a low humming noise, and be warm to the touch. If it hums loudly, it could be caused by loose parts, internal defect causing overload, or something in the router causing it to be overloaded (least likely cause). A higher pitch whining noise indicates something oscillating, such as defective voltage regulator circuitry (also rare to actually oscillate and whine).

Loose parts can eventually short, and it is possible for this to damage the router. This isn't all that common, but I would not take chances. Linksys will RMA power adaptors for free without requiring you to send in the old one. If it's out of warranty, they are still cheap.

I have maybe 12 power adaptors under my desk for this or that device -router, switch, hub, modem, speakers, USB hubs, etc. None of them make a noticeable humming noise unless I put my ear close to them. All of them are warm to the touch, but not too hot.

The short of it is that any noise out of the ordinary indicates something wrong and is a good reason to replace the adaptor. It's cheap insurance.

Nohohoho, this is a loud noise. I know all about the standard surface hum, but this can be heard loudly from its' usual spot... seven feet away. :-o

It means that the transformer shell is cracked and is vibrating like an alarm clock. It doesn't hurt anything, it's just annoying.

Mitch

Does this mean internally, or is it a problem with the plastic case? If it's internal, then I'm just buying a new one.

The buzzing noise is very often caused by vibrating coils, which is normal. As far as I know you can reduce it by glueing the coil but I have never tried it yet. My new motherboard makes a high buzzing noise like that. But I have no time and patience to sort it out so it simply buzzes around my room. Part of life, like PC fans.

Edited by maiki

It means that the transformer shell is cracked and is vibrating like an alarm clock. It doesn't hurt anything, it's just annoying.

Mitch

Does this mean internally, or is it a problem with the plastic case? If it's internal, then I'm just buying a new one.

It's internal.

Mitch