IGNORED

What to get for a final pinball?

simbalion

Now this will be months off after I get everything set up, but once I get my little game building set up I should have room for a few more uprights, hopefully a cockpit game and one or maybe two more pinballs depending on how I set things up. I already have a 1947 vintage Keeny Carousel pinball of the woodrail type. What I want is a more standard set-up pinball with flippers that actually do something. I have a couple ideas from two games I played at the Cuyahoga Falls pinball expo and almost bought. One is Doodle Bug which I found fun and the other I think was Rocket which was really fun, but steep priced for its battered cabinet. Basically, I am thinking later single player EM era up through the early solid state era for a selection. One game that tempts me is Atari's Hercules. What a beast and it is kinda fun. I WOULD have room for one of them if I adjusted right, but what would it cost and does a Hercules use regular 110-115 current or is it something higher? Anyways, any recommendations on fun, yet affordable pinballs? I thought it might ne nice and fun to ask here as I get things set up for my game room future. :)

What about

? If you like outer space or history, it's one you may want to get with the upcoming decommissioning of the NASA shuttles. While many people find Space Shuttle to be a simple game, many also rave about how much fun it is. And I agree. I always liked playing this game for its clean playfield, easy objectives, cool sound effects, and trademark Space Shuttle toy. There were also 7,000 of them made, so parts should be easy to come by and you may be able to snag a working machine for cheap.

I DO like space themes and I almost bought a Rocket III at the pinball expo, but the price seemed a bit steep. AFTER I had spent my cash on an old target gallery game, then the guy came down to what I could afford. It was a very fun game with the zipper flippers. A bit beat up on the cabinet, but it worked great and the playfield and backglass were all in good shape.

I know someone who has a Hercules and was going to try it out this weekend, but it appears my truck either broke a front axle or just a bearing this evening. :( We'll see. Anyways, I am liking the feedback so far. Hopefully my truck can be repaired or this is all out the window until next year.

Defender? I know nothing of the prices.

Defender is pretty rare, as far as pinballs go this one is more for "collectors"

What about

? If you like outer space or history, it's one you may want to get with the upcoming decommissioning of the NASA shuttles. While many people find Space Shuttle to be a simple game, many also rave about how much fun it is. And I agree. I always liked playing this game for its clean playfield, easy objectives, cool sound effects, and trademark Space Shuttle toy. There were also 7,000 of them made, so parts should be easy to come by and you may be able to snag a working machine for cheap.

Space Shuttle is an excellent afordable first pin

Don't get Hercules. It's as big as a car, and loses its appeal after about 2 minutes. Local pinball hangout has one, and well, it's there.

Agreed, Herc sucks. Good for bragging rights only

Firepower, Gorgar, or Xenon.

FP is pretty good and can be found cheap

Gorgar has no multiball or even lane change for that matter :( not bad but feels like it should have them, game would be much better with them

Xenon is awesome but has become expensive in recent years, has a collector following

Williams' "Flash" is always a great option, a nice little pin that always gets play.

Flash is cool but more of a "players" game. If you suck at pinball avoid or it will be SDTM for you all night :)

I believe this was williams second highest production game (behind TAF) and could have been the best but was pulled early, acording to the designer Steve Richie the CEO of williams wanted to leave the fans "wanting more" lol

• 3 weeks later...

Well, things are still in the air around here, but at least I think I have settled on what type of pinball I will look for. My arcade place is basically going to be an 'escape to the 80's' spot for myself witha few EM games thrown in on one end. So, for my final pinball I am leaning towards a good and affordable solid state machine. My antique carousel pinball by Keeney is going to stay in the house.

Well, things are still in the air around here, but at least I think I have settled on what type of pinball I will look for. My arcade place is basically going to be an 'escape to the 80's' spot for myself witha few EM games thrown in on one end. So, for my final pinball I am leaning towards a good and affordable solid state machine. My antique carousel pinball by Keeney is going to stay in the house.

Good timing to purchase SS 80's games, the prices are in the toilet, everyone wants the mid 90's A titles (DMD)

• Like 1

Good timing to purchase SS 80's games, the prices are in the toilet, everyone wants the mid 90's A titles (DMD)

Hmm, first time I have ever got the timing right for anything! Hopefully that stays true until I can get things together around here. I still don't see much happening until earlier fall for me. At least got another vehicle now, but that sucked down my $$$.

• 2 months later...

Shaq attaq is an awesome game. they go for cheap because people think the translite is goofy. I got mine(a 100% functional minty 1995 DMD pin) for only $700. the game play is awesome. I've got 8 pins and it's my favorite(and all my guest love it).

The ramp. the ramp..... (and Buy a ball!!!!)

I actually have a Baby Pac, but it has issues with the boards.

Man, it's a GREAT game. I played it recently on a local pinball expo and tried to buy the machine. Too bad he wasn't selling.

Actually I co-authored the PinMAME version of the Baby Pac-Man back in the day...

babypac.jpg

It's a game that some hate, some love... personally, I think it's a great machine that requires some good tactics and a longish learning phase to get through the first 5-6 mazes.

• 1 month later...

My favorites of the early 80's Solid State era.

Williams:

Alien Poker -these are out there, just have to find one at a nice price!

Black Knight -About 1K or more

Firepower -Around 800

Blackout -Another 800 or less game

Warlok-Forget trying to find this one, it's pretty rare! I've been looking for a few years now with no luck :(

Bally:

Baby Pac-Man (video/pinball combo) -Less than 1K

Flash Gordon -About 800-1K

Vector -Another title you don't see FS often. I have a very nice one possibly available FS :)

90's WMS/Bally era: (Now you're talking some cash!)

Twilight Zone Between 4-5K

Theatre of Magic Around 4K +/- a few hundred

Tales of the Arabian Nights 5K+

Good timing to purchase SS 80's games, the prices are in the toilet

Really?? Depends on the title. You will NOT find certain games at low prices (Fathom, Centaur, Embryon, etc.)

• 3 years later...